Yet another customs duty question

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by abhijitnath, Feb 23, 2006.

1. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

A friend in Singapore has bought a Line 6 POD XT Live for me already.
    I'm going next month and was wondering whether its ok to bring it back with me. Friends who have gone there told me they have come back with stuff (camera, IPod etc) upto 25k. The XT Live is 16k odd. Is it safe to get it with me or should I wait till my friend comes back next time?

2. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I think you can walk in with goods valued less than 500$ without any customs duty being imposed on it. But not 100% sure so wait till more people reply.

3. abhijitnath

Thanks.
    Was wondering basically whether there are different norms for things like cameras etc and for musical equipment. Anyone with a clue?

4. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

If he removed the label etc, and pretends that he has used the equipment and it is his then they will allow him to carry it.

kuch paane ke liye kuch khona bhi padta hai..

PS--ask him to get some Kubrick DVDs along :grin:

5. abhijitnath

Yeah I know about the process when someone from outside is getting it.
    Right now I'm going to Singapore, so wondering if I can get the thing back with myself only..can't wait to use it!!

6. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

I think it is okay as long as the value of the goods is under $500. Having said this, I walked back with my guitar ($300) and 2 replacement pickups ($140) without any trouble whatsoever.

7. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Dude. Forget that $500 funda. My friends have brought me things worth nearly $700 of all guitar related stuffs and nobody paid any sort of things extra and everything came of easily excepy my volume pedal. The guy who brought it told them it's a guitar instead of a guitar pedal and they detained him for 1 hour and were questioning him about him carry possible explosives. He wanted to call me up and confirm about the thing but they didn't even let him make a call. After severe questioning, he was let to go after an hour ofcourse with the volume pedal and with no duties.

Nebu got himself a Roctron Silver Dragon and Digitech RP80 and I guess it was about $200 together and his sister had to pay customs who had with her. So it's just a matter of luck. Again with my experience of getting the Parker, if you know to talk your way out, you can even bring in a 2 seater plane for you.

8. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

how can the custom duty guys charge you if you just keep it in your luggage in a bag or something ??

9. ronnieanand

They will check even your underwear leave alone the bags.

10. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

does that mean..that charge you for imported underwear too ??

11. abhijitnath

Hahahahaha.
    Awesome. Good so I'll get the XT Live sooner than I thought!
    And noone checked my bags or anything when I came back from London. They seemed quite disinterested...must have been taken in by my bholi soorat

12. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Mera joke chura liya!!!

I have gotten a Dunlop Crybaby, an AMT and a Rocktron Delay from the US. My friend never experienced any hassles. Size wise the Dunlop is fking large and heavy!!
    I really dont think ull experience any problems.

13. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

In my case the stuff came via packers and movers and not in the hand baggage..so those greedy bastards saw the rp-80 had lotsa buttons, looked like an electronic item and promptly charged for everything.The office guy who was negotiating didnt know anything about it...so he paid up without arguing..
    If you or your friends are bringing stuff in hand baggage, it shouldnt be an issue at all..
    Do some smooth talking..declare it used..and hope that there is a flight from Dubai coming in at that time(customs officials leave everything and run after those:p)

14. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

hey abhijith...is stuff very cheap in Singapore..and can I buy online from here, or someone has to go to the store and buy it for me?

15. abhijitnath

It's cheaper than in the US (and obviously the UK and Europe) because of no taxes etc on goods. EG the XT Live costs US$ 399 in the US which is 18.5k whereas it costs S$628 in Singapore which is only 16.5 k. I don't know if they ship etc..I have a friend there who bought it for me. And thanks for the nad baggage advice etc:)

16. ronnieanand

Woh andhar ki baat hain..... :dance: Apna Pappu ko bhi tax lagaa dhenge.

17. ronnieanand

If you thought Dunlop Wah is large, then you should see an Ernie Ball Volume Pedal. The damn thing looks like it ate two Dunlops for lunch... :p:

18. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

My two bits

I work as an import manager, and I do keep taking stuff in and out of the country. So Abhijit, here's what customs rules says.

1. If you get anything through a freight forwarder (not a courier or post) you pay 15% basic duty + 16% Countervailing duty + 2 and 2 % cess. You can forget this.
    2. If you get anything by courier, even if worth 10 USD, the customs duty is a flat 40%. This is very risky as the customs guys can arbitrarily revise the value of the goods to anything they feel like, and you can keep fighting till kingdom come.
    3. If you are an indian returning from abroad after 2 years, you get a TR (Transfer of Residence), and you don't pay a ****ing paisa on anything
    4. This applies to you..If you are an indian returning from a visit abroad, you can carry anything upto USD 500 free of duty (this is in addition to the allowed 2 litres alcohol, 1 litre wine an 1 carton cigarettes). So please ignore all those who say its no problems carry in whatever you want blah blah, you'll get into trouble. Fact is, USD 500 duty free, anything over that at 40%. But most of the times, the customs guys don't know what something is worth, so people can carry in stuff. My friend carried in my RG370DX saying it was worth 2900 (he did not mention HKD, they thought it was rupees). But customs have the right to ask you for a bill or invoice on anything you buy. When I get something expensive, I get my friends in china to make an invoice which shows a lesser amount (underinvoicing).
    There are ways to get in expensive stuff too, if you want to know how, send me a PM. Otherwise, as your stuff is less than 500USD, be cool and walk in. Keep the invoice to avoid disputes.

Hope this helps

Sanjiv

the_wizard and Alfons like this.
  19. abhijitnath

Woah! Completely comprehensive post. Thank you so much. I think getting the invoice etc should not be a problem either so I'm quite happy.Next stop: How to get the Godin LGX-SA through once I buy it:)

20. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

@abhijitnath- did you buy the pedal at swee lee?? If you havent yet bought it try and approach this guy JAi(he works there). Awesome chap and real generous. You might score some killer plectrums, strap, discounts and a free carry bag.