Ye dard bhara afsaana sunn le bedard zamana : THE TRUE TRAGIC STORY

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by vinayakindulkar, Aug 27, 2007.

1. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

I've never used scales to tab a song.
    I just listen to it carefully, tab out the chords.
    And I thought that the essence of a good MUSICIAN (not just t3h guitarist) is INNOVATION and not IMITATION? Who knows, you could land up with something better than the original ^.^

Ps - Neither bjr nor his point is idiotic! Nub.

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

i'd actually reply to your query if you were not a puppet. the scale being either G or Em should make little difference to the chords you pick provided your ear is in the right place.

then again, i suppose if your ear was in the right place, you wouldn't have had this question.

3. APPLE SINGH

APPLE SINGH New Member

Ha..ha..ha..ha..

I know who don't have music sence talk like that .

Their is a Huge difference between major and minor chord , no matter if they
    are related ones and you say little difference .

Ha..ha..ha..ha..

Best joke of the Year .

4. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

Mr. Apple Singh,
    I'm sure he didn't mean that a major chord can be used interchangeably with a minor chord. I think he meant that even if the scale of the song is a Minor, say Cm, what's more important is the whole chord progression that the song has. Just by knowing the scale is no point unless you have an ear good enough to figure out all the chords.

I could have pwned you badly but I thought if you have an understanding as small as u've shown, the pwnage would have been way out of your league for you to understand.

5. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

yep, no fun pwning when the dude never registers what happened.

6. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

@elfascinating - Yeah, truth you say.
    @APPLE_SINGH -
    Bjr said G and Em...where did this confusion between major and minor come from? You could play Balatkari (Em B D A etc) like Hotel California (Bm F# A E etc -maybe) and it'd just be the difference of a few octaves...(btw, thats why its always advisable to play in barre chords...easier and more visual transposes, you can change the chords in no time if you think the song has a different key)
    I guess you not only see problems, you create them with your imagination as well! :)

7. Keoraf

Keoraf Keyboard Player

This isn't that simple as you think, in my opinion there aren't theories that could answer this question as a definition, is a song whether in minor or major scale and don't even think this is an imagination of APPLE_SINGH cause placing a reply like this doesn't testify of having any kind of musical knowledge! Its not that i am a very good musician, certainly not and all the theory i know is just by searching the internet, so i'm an amateur, just like the majority here!!!
    I really think its a matter of listening and decide if a song is whether in a major or a minor scale. So if a song is in the G major scale and you would play it with the E min scale, of course it would change the mood of this relevant song and
    In my opinion, the choice of the scale whether the song will sound good or not is inherently tied in the chords played in a that song!!!

8. Keoraf

Keoraf Keyboard Player

This is a very bad habitude, making fun of others, laughing at the faults made by others, try controlling this habit otherwise you'll get in real trouble in your personal life someday. This doesn't make any sense, if you can't help those people then try not to embarrass them too!
    Just have in mind, we are human beings and our biggest handicap is, we all make faults and we have to live with it, nobody is perfect, included you!!!

9. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

*sigh*

bjr are you reading this?

Look what your subtlety has led to.

10. Greeshma

Greeshma Greeshma'z in da House

i dnt no where this is going to...but all i want to is ....i was taught that the only differnce between minor or major chords is the minor sounds sad and major sounds happy...this is right isn't it??????????????????????????????

11. Keoraf

Keoraf Keyboard Player

This is true, it also depends on your imagination how to listen to those chords, i think this is the main reason people are saying that sad songs are in a minor scale and happy songs in a major scale( but this isn't true, at least not always, there is no rule that this should be true!!!).
    The issue wasn't the differences between the major and minor chords, but between the major and minor scale and that's a big difference!

12. Greeshma

no that wasn't actully wat i meant....but that info helped....i didn't mean that minor chords r only used in sad song ect....ect...i ment that how my teacher sed u can tell the difference.......but thanx anyway

13. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Okay. Did not read this and I'm almost half glad.

To the original thread starter (or is apple_singh different?): They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. They also say ignorance is bliss. I say you're a puppet.

keoraf: I do not believe I was incorrect in what I said. I said the scale being G or Em should make little difference to what chords you percieve as being "in" the scale ("in" being a dicey word). Since they are just modes relative to each other, the chords that each note represent are the same. A D dorian would have the same chords that a C major scale (or Ionian) does(I suppose?...in which case what I said would be correct). What you say about the change in scale bringing a change in mood is perfectly correct but note that I also said that if you had a good ear, the problem wouldn't arise since you'd still pick the right chords from the scale. I also added that if you had a good ear, you would probably have been able to percieve the correct scale and the problem wouldn't have occured in the first place.

If I'm incorrect in what I say, i'd like to know.

14. ReBoRn

ReBoRn New Member

hehe ..
    here's a feas'ble solution ..
    use www.ultimate-guitar.com for tabs/chords/gp/powertabs for english songs
    use www.indiankeyboards.cjb.net for bollywood/tollywood song chords ..it's a alter ego forum by a very talented old user from igt who got banned over some issue with neo..
    and for god's sake use that compilation of links for chords for tons of songs ..provided below in the site's extreme beloweth ..

15. Greeshma

dnt banned ppl just use a differnt id and cum bak????????????? why do ppl get banned anyway?

16. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

The same reason people join this forum.

17. Keoraf

Keoraf Keyboard Player

The chords used in the above mentioned scales could be exactly the same, just because the E minor is the relative of the G major scale, but the difference is just the main key (the tonic note) of both scales and ofcourse, major scales sound different from minor scales just because they are based on a different pattern!!!
    There is a big clue, ofcourse its not a rule but often you could say: a lot of minor chords means a minor scale and lot of major chords means a major scale, but once again, this isn't a rule!!!!
    And then the determination of the tonic note is the whole point to decide in what scale the song could be "in", in this case the G major ( the G note)or the E minor (the E note). But this is the whole point, how to determine the tonic note??? And thats why i think its just a matter of listening to decide whether a song is in the major or in the minor key!

18. APPLE SINGH

APPLE SINGH New Member

Kahan Raja Bhoj ( It's me ) aur kahan Gangu Teli ( V. I. )

Bjr your sense of humour is great , you compair me with a guy who even
    don't know the difference between major and minor scale .:: laugh::

And Keoraf most of the people just talk about other things instead of talking
    about the main topic thats why i make that comment .

19. Keoraf

Keoraf Keyboard Player

Maybe you are right, but this doesn't mean you can make fun of others, that's not good man, try changing that bad habit!!!

20. musicmanPKR

musicmanPKR New Member

aaaaaawwwwww ma gawd

m i the topic of discussion here?????