Yamaha Sustain Pedals

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by micraft, Mar 11, 2006.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Compressor is used for various reasons not just for increasing sustain. Assume you are playing a Clean Arpeggio with a Chorus. You dont want one note to get louder because you ended up picking it hard. For that reason, a compressor would be really helpful in evening out the picking dynamics and make your Arpeggiated Rhythm sound more uniform.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

{EDIT}
    OHO

Compressor sustainer is different fomr sustainer.

Sanjivdas may be you didnt read my explanation for sustainer.

And if micraft meant compressor sustainer, he was wrong to call it just sustainer.
    Compressor is a widely know term for that FX.

3. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Agreed, but forget the compression part. I guess its also used to derive sustain. Is there any difference in the sustain generated out of the CS and that from a normal sustainer?

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Array dude sorry man.
    I actually took the sustainer as = sustainer / feedback pedal.

You took sustainer as compressor / sustainer.

Hope that will answer your question. the feedback sustainer start degenreating teh signal into kinda squealing sound. That is the effect you will get standing close to the monitors.

LOL, others were also thinking in the same lines as me (wihc was wrong), see the previous page.

:RollLol:

Anyway, Micraft has used an ambiguous term.

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

6. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Fernandes Sustainer is probably the most famous. I think even steve vai has it on one of his guitars.

Steve Hackett wrote in the linear notes for "Omega Mettalicus" from the album "Darktown" (awesome album btw)
    "A big Thank You to Fernandes for finally making my dreams come true,If there's a god os sustain,YOU ARE IT!"

Another one from the track "Twice around the sun"
    "An instrumental track that both pounds and floats,notable for possibly the longest sustained guitar note in history of modern recording to date - played with my favourite 'Golden' Tone"