yamaha midi guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by rocking_devil, Jul 1, 2005.

1. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

hey guys, you must check out this cool looking guitar which i fpound in net while surfing yesterday evening.its an yamaha midi guitar.looks really different.ifany one knows any thing about it let me know too!

Attached Files:

2. real_illusions

real_illusions Clapton Is GOD

It is a really sad one. It is plastic and doesn't have strings. The things on the fretboard are buttons that make sound when you press.

If you've seen those keyboards which light up which keys to press for a song, this has the exact same function. Sound comes from a built in speaker. It runs on bloody 9v batteries.

It is purely a learning toy for kids. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

3. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

I love the midi guitar used by Jennifer Batten. Looks and sounds HOT!

If u guys are wondering who Jennifer Batten is, she is or shall i say 'was' the guitarist of Michael Jackson. She is now working with Jeff Beck .

4. real_illusions

real_illusions Clapton Is GOD

Midi Guitars are mainly for a computer produced sound. I just got Jeff Beck's album "Jeff", it's totally out of this world. It's very very techno but the man is an absolute genius for fitting in his guitar into those tracks.

If she's on this album then I'd say she's bllody brilliant too. And the Midi guitar is worth a second thought.

5. chintan9

Yeah i have this Jeff beck live video where she plays some killer background pieces that kinda give u goosebumps.

6. chintan9

She uses the Washburn JB 100 with Roland midi pickup. She also uses the Digitech GNX4 Processor.

7. chintan9

8. soulscape777

soulscape777 Oneiric

rocking_devil thats a pic of a Yamaha EZ-AG guitar u've posted which is meant for beginners and is not really a"midi"guitar.u should be looking at roland gk2 and gk 3 midi p/ups to attach to your guitar if u wanna go midi n get one of rolands gr based synths.midi guitar opens up a whole new world of possibilities and ideas.I've been a guitar synth user and enthusiast for quite some time now.alot many times i do the scoring by "midi"ing the gr to other soft synths and controllers.yamaha also has good midi p/ups n modules.if u want a well equipped"midied" guitar start with roland ready fender strats ,there are others companies that offer similar stuff and on a good budget brian moore and godin make excellent midi p/up equipped guitars,with the added benefit of piezo p/ups ,etc.offcourse,there are guitar shaped midi controllers too which have no latency/pitching problems which u may encounter while going thru" pitch to midi converter "setups like the popular gk series by roland.Midi controllers like Ztar are miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiindboggling n blow u away....if u're experimental in nature,love orchestral music,synth based stuff and an open mind to go beyond,besides having a good level of playing(read as CLEAN) ..then i would highly recommend going midi....
    cheers

9. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

im not too much a fan of midi instruments- the tracks ive ehard sound really fake - but eahc one to his own... some i gues like the cross etween keyboards and guitars...

10. soulscape777

soulscape777 Oneiric

......guess u were'nt thinking....which would mean that u negate a majority of modern music encompassing various genres,etc,etc due to the fact that they incorporate midi in one way or the other,a rocker like u perhaps would then also be disliking a band like dream theater or therein all bands that use or incorporate modern keyboards(read as MIDI)..and thats just the tip of the iceberg,there is alot of midi instrumentation invloved in producion too which 90% or perhaps 99% listeners arent aware of...and so far,in this brief discourse we havent even touched the topic of MIDI implemantation with regards to tone,channeling,etc and blockbuilders like patching,continous controllers,mapping,sys ex,etc..which would then even make u dislike your fave. band as they sure as hell use "u know what"

as far as the recordings/material that u've heard....well u arent there quite yet...listen to allan holdsworth,scott henderson,vernon reid,pat metheny,john mclaughlin,steve morse....to name a few who've done alot of midi guitar work ,especially metheny,holdsworth n mclaughlin.perhaps in more or less the next 5 years when/if/eventually/hopefully your musical tastes change and your playing style evolves(that is,if u stick to guitar ... or for that matter music) u might just grasp the basics of"u know what" and perhaps not pass it as an amateur"cross between keyboards and guitar"
    obviously playing approach to the controllers is a differnt ball game altogether,i mean if u're using a piano tone n try n do a double stop bend on it ..it would sound hilarious n stupid..and so on .....

pehaps a quick rephrasing then???or rather, a "reharmonization" as the theorist would say...
    :beer: :beer:

11. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

hey thanx for the information chintan9, real illussions, soulscape777.