Yamaha APX500II OR CPX500 II

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by arunkumarsethi, Dec 15, 2011.

1. arunkumarsethi

arunkumarsethi New Member

The problem is whenever am asking for 15k-20k they don't have much of stuck, very little collection.Any ways am going few other shops today. Will go to furtodas , onstage and aruna. Don't want to spend blindly. Let me see where am going to endup..

2. arunkumarsethi

Today i visited Furtados(Koramangla), Rythim(Brigade Rd),Onstage(Brigade Rd), Thomsun(indra nagar-Yamaha Distributer).
    Furtados having guitar range starts at 28k, Rythim Don't have guitars more than 13k (says its in warehouse come when u want to purchase),Onstage have fender (cd60,cd110,t-bucket etc) says its the best guitar better than Yamaha, Thomsun in indra nager is a good showroom they have all yamaha guitars, sales guy(Mr. Jayson) is also very informative, he played apx500ii n cpx700ii, fx300 with and without amp. i like the cpx700ii , sound quality is very nice but its way to costly.fx300-20k+ apx500ii-23k+,cpx500ii-27k+,cpx700ii-32k.

Still can't able to find other guitars like takamine,ovation applause,cort earth,walden,ibanez. Is there any other guitar shop is left where i can go? Tomorrow am planning to go Soundglitz in Mantri Mall let see what they have got.

3. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

did you try the yamaha fg series...well fender t bucket's reviews are quite impressive..as far as i can remember rhythms do stock cort...reynolds must be stocking ovation applause...dont they...?

4. Sumanovo razor

one shop that i'll strongly recommend would be saptaswara musicals thats in chennai :(...but worth visiting check their website www.saptaswara.in/

5. arunkumarsethi

I have tried the fg series its very big guitar doesn't look good but sounds nice.
    When i went to Reynolds they guided me to Onstage thats next to it saying thats also their branch, n onstage deals with fender only.
    Rhythms did't entertain at all shop keeper told everything is in warehouse come when u buy, but how can i buy without checking it?
    I don't know where else to go . I want to check other brands also but nobody has the stock. i really want to check Walden and Ovation and Cort do u know any where i can find it?

6. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Unfortunately that's the state of shops in India. Especially when it comes to mid to high range guitars.

I don't know of any shop that stocks Walden guitars, either. But then again most shops just have the odd Yamaha and Fender.

7. Sumanovo razor

i personally feel that if you want to buy guitar in india...then you should buy it from mumbai...did you check the website of saptaswara musicals which i gave you...it seems thats the only good shop in southern part of india...they even stock martin,seagull.thats a different thing that they are out of your budget...you will find walden,ovation applause,cort and many other brands...i know the owner of the rhythms shop very well...that fatass...but anyways he gave me two jim dunlop jazz picks for free :)

8. arunkumarsethi

HI All
    @ Razor i hve seen the website ,its having nice collection. Walden Cort and Ovation is also there. If am not buying Yamaha then i think definitly i have to visit Channi for guitar.
    @ Thehundredthone i liked the two Walden guitars vary much. Nice old classical look with fishman pickups. But can't able to find it anywhere :(
    its there in saptaswara musicals website.

What u guys suggestion about CPX700ii is it worth paying 32k? Because i liked the way its look and the sound(they only have Black and Natural no sunbrust :( ). or the following guitars which i like apart from Yamaha r batter options.

Walden-CG600CE or G630CE (22k-23k)
    Ovation-applause CC24 Celebrity,applause CC44 Celebrity (22k-30k)
    Fender-T-Bucket 300CE,CD-220SCE (19k-21k)
    Cort-EVL- A6,Jade-6,L500F,SFX10 (20k-27k)

Thanks
    Arun

9. Sumanovo razor

saptaswara is also giving heavy discounts ...coz of new year...so if you want to visit there...visit as soon as possible...

10. Sumanovo razor

see i wont suggest any beginner to buy an expensive guitar like cpx...but if money doesnt matter then go for it

11. arunkumarsethi

Money is not the issue, What i admire is Quality . I like Yamaha from the start because They have a dedicated Showroom in Indra Nagar with 2 Service Centers in Fazer Town n Hanumanth Nagar. I don't know about the other brands.
    Now the question is Yamaha CPX700ii is worth paying 32k or for the second thought i can consider Walden G700CE for 29k. What do u think?

12. arunkumarsethi

And what is this Fishman pickups everybody talks about it? Is it the best elctron a guitar can have ? What about the Yamaha ART pickups?

13. thehundredthone

Why not contact them and ask if there's any way you can try the guitars before buying.

Not worth it IMO. For 32k you should be buying a guitar that has solid wood sides and neck, not Nato.

Whenever I manage to save up enough, I'm probably going to buy a Walden.

They're not so great for unplugged playing, they more suited to be played plugged into an amp/PA.

I think you're talking about the CD-220CE. Again, laminated top and sides. You're paying for the name. The 220SCE (solid top) costs quite a bit more than 20k.

I don't know anything about Cort other than the fact that they're a controversial company who reportedly don't pay workers etc. Then again, this is the internet.

14. thehundredthone

I haven't heard of a G700CE, there's G730CE and G740CE as far as I know. Link to details?

The Fishman Presys? No, not by far. But it's a well known company for acoustic pickups. The Yamaha ART is not bad either.

15. Sumanovo razor

different brand use different pickups transducers,preamp..for eg. Takamine use tp4t...preamp pre amplifies the sound before sending it to the amplifier...fishman are really good...they fall in the range 5-7k...if money is not an issue then try martin,seagull,taylors...saptaswara do stock all of them...

16. Sumanovo razor

first ask yourself that do you really want to learn guitar coz most of the times i 've seen people buying guitars but later on end up selling them...if this by chance happens then dont forget to sell your to me ;)

17. arunkumarsethi

@ thehundredthone, Thanks for the info. According to ur info my search is really narrowed . May be i should go for Walden G730CE(Sorry i have mistaken it for G700CE) or i can buy Yamaha CPX500II.
    I have called Saptaswar Music channai , Mr Roshan picked up the call and told they r not getting Yamaha Guitars for 2-3 months and they also don't have G730CE (They can get it if i place a order only. It will take 10-12 days, i Have to deposit 5k in their HDFC account. When they get the product they will call me)
    Got the final prices of the following Guitars:
    Walden G630CE-20,600/-
    G730CE-26,900/-
    Ovation Applause CC24 Celebrity-21,200/-

@ Razor If i need to sale my Guitar than definitely ur in the Top of my list. Hope u will give me a good price ;)

Now the final question is "IS it Walden G730CE(26900/- Saptaswara, Channai) OR Yamaha CPX500II(27250/- Thomsun,Bangalore)" ????
    So please Suggest one of above.
    The Shopkeeper from Saptaswara, Channai suggested Seagull Entourage-30k, Said best among all of above (But it looks like somebody send it from 1880s to this world to me may be through time machine ;) )

The following few lines r above my head so please help me !!!

The Walden Guitars G730CE Natura Series Acoustic Guitar Features:
    Body Shape : Grand Auditorium
    Top : Solid Western Red Cedar
    Back : Solid Indian Rosewood
    Sides : Indian Rosewood
    Electronics : Fishman Classic 4 / Fishman Aero+ Shopkeeper said
    Finish : Satin Nitrocellulose Lacquer
    Soundboard Bracing : Scalloped-X
    Neck Material : Mahogany
    Nut Width : 1-11/16"
    Fingerboard : Solid Rosewood
    Trussrod : 2-way adjustable
    Binding : White plastic
    Rosette : Abalone
    Tuners : Gold with tortoise buttons
    Logo : Pearl
    Bridge : Walden Rosewood bridge

Yamaha CPX500II
    Top :Spruce
    Back :Nato
    Side :Nato
    Neck :Nato
    Fingerboard :Rosewood
    Bridge :Rosewood
    Body Depth :95-115mm (3 3/4" - 4 1/4")
    Nut Width :43mm
    String Length :634mm
    Tuners :Die-Cast Chrome
    Preamp :System 65

Thanks
    Arun

18. thehundredthone

The Yamaha affords you the convenience of the shop being in Bangalore, which also means you can try the guitar before buying it. However, the Walden is giving you more for the price, most importantly solid wood sides and back.

It is quite possibly the best of the 3 since there are no electronics (meaning no part of the 30k is for a pickup and preamp system, which usually makes up 5-7k of the cost of a guitar with electronics).

Body Shape: There are various shapes e.g. dreadnought, grand auditorium, etc. Each has it's own purpose, google for info.

Top, Back, Sides: These are the parts of the body of the guitar. It can be made of laminated wood, which is made of many thin layers stuck together, or solid wood, which is one thick piece. Solid wood resonates better.

Electronics: The pickup and preamp, you don't really have a choice unless you buy it separately.

Finish: The finish on the wood (the 'shine', or lack thereof). It can be either nitrocellulose lacquer which is supposed to be more natural and lets the wood 'breathe', or it can be polyurethane which effectively seals off the wood from the environment. Nitro is preferred by most because they say it lets the wood age better and also allows for better resonance. On the flip side your sweat will slowly eat through the finish, as will things that you might drop on the guitar.

Soundboard Bracing: This is how the top is supported, since it's a vibrating structure.

Neck Material: The wood used to make the neck of the guitar

Nut Width: The width of the neck at the nut. Classical guitars are usually the widest, and electric guitars are usually the narrowest.

Fingerboard: The wood used to make the fretboard that sits on top of the neck.

Trussrod: This is a rod inside the neck that helps counteract the pull of the strings, and makes sure your neck doesn't bend too much under that pressure.

Binding: The binding on the edges of the wood, where pieces meet.

Rosette: The circles around the sound-hole.

Tuners: The machine heads on the headstock used to tune the strings.

Logo: The manufacturer logo on the headstock.

Bridge: The piece of wood on the body that holds the strings.

19. Sumanovo razor

well one thing i wanna mention which thehundredthone missed is the top ...walden has got red cedar top (going by the specifications you gave)...and the yamaha spruce...cedar top guitars usually gives a great bass response whereas spruce will give more of trebles than bass....ya i know the seagull entourage looks old...but once you play that you will be like wooww...what an ausumn sounding guitar ...mahogany has more punchy tone as compared to nato...nitrocellulose's coating is bit lighter than poly urethane's ...so it will provide more resonance and give you a worn out look...these are thin layers so easily will get off..you gotta take care of them...i personally feel you should go with the walden...but i doubt you will coz you didnt like the huge size of yamaha fg series which haq got a standard dreadnought size body ...grand auditorium is slightly a bigger size as compared to dreadnoughts and are equivalent to jumbo's...but again different brand will have different size ratios...not much but still they gonna have..

20. Sumanovo razor

well you should consider the top of the guitar first...because its the main part of the guitar which decides the tone of the guitar...the strings vibrates which in turn makes the top vibrate which transfers the sound from bridge to the back and then sides...(i hope you know what a guitar's top is ...the part which lies underneath the strings...where you find the lower bridge placed..and in electric guitar you find pickups...on it...