*** WTF is this thing?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by alpha1, Apr 5, 2006.

1. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Have a look:

2. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

:shock: twelve strings and 5 fingers ??
    ...bahhut nainsafi hai

3. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

It reminds me of a teacher back in school who had a stocky neck :)

This should've been a vdo instead :mad:

4. bsharp

bsharp New Member

wud be really g8 if u can write something too,about a 12-string guitar in brief..?
    What are extra strings other than the "ebgdae" , here ? etc

Thnx

5. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

siamese guitars???

6. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

I know wat dat is ..Da guy didn't have money.. He told da Carpenter next door to make a guitar .. Carpenter didn't have knowledge so he made a huge fretboard .. n da guy had extra set of strings ..

I think this post of mine should have been in da PJ thread ..

7. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

meant for couples playing together..??

8. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

kyon PJ thread ki bezatti kar raha hai...:p:

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Actually it is a bass guitar.

Has anyone observed how the neck length is diff for all strings?
    And how the frets are slanted.
    Again for correct intonation.

Great concept.

But I still dunno about tuning etc.

10. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Yeah..its the fanned fret system developed by Novax guitars.
    Conklin does a lot of this stuff..for Rusty Cooley's 8 string guitar for instance...otherwise the hight A breaks with a standard scale length. That's an additional reason for the system besides perfect intonation..having strings correctly setup for each string..for example a wound G string is meant for playing that note..even if you pull a unwound G to a G pitch, the string is at some level out of tune with itself..odd numbered harmonics etc.
    I think the lowest sensible note would be a C# at 11 hz or so...thats the frequency for one of the 9 string basses I saw.
    The higher notes wouldn't be a problem of course.

EDIT: Has anyone else noted how serious, knowledgable discussion has all but died out on the Gear Talk board? And then people complain that IGT is dead.
    The fact suddenly hit me with some force when I saw the Standard Xth level replies to the thread.

11. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

@ bsharp:
    Normal 12-strings dont actually have 12 seperate strings like the one you see here. They have 6 pairs of strings going through 6 courses on the headstock..ie when you pick, you're actually picking two strings very close to each other (and fretting them as well). Each pair is tuned in the standard tuning,but 1 octave apart (except the top 2 pairs ofstrings, which are both tuned to the same note).
    You can tune the pairs to different intervals like a 5th apart also, but this is rare.
    If you've ever played a mandolin, it works the same way.

12. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I hear you man. Its been too dull over here. Maybe some stuff 's been happening in other places in IGT but its too dull over here. Plus for people like me who mainly look into Gear Talk forum its really irritating.

On another note - that guitar is just amazing to look at. Its like "If you dont like my music i'll kick your butt with this big ass guitar"

13. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

the god hath spoken

welcUm back

14. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

oh sh!t! ...@abhijit dude ... pardon me for that std x post..if that sucked that much i had no idea <<..gimme bad reps >>!! lol "...but when you say knowledgable discussion has all but died out on the Gear Talk board ..." i sincerely hoped some1 knowledigible helped that guy but did'nt really see any discussions there" -- & me dont gear talk ..me just talk libere:p:

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Wow!
    I didnt know all that.

What was that bit about "serious, knowledgable discussion has all but died out on the Gear Talk board".

Isnt this one of them?

16. shak

shak Harrr!

i agree to most of your stuff. .
    it is a fanned fret system developed by guys at novx . however the patents are still under a little debate .. anyway no need to go there ..
    fanned fret system was developed keeping the natural position of playing hand in mind ... ever noticed when playing high nots up the neck, the hand tilts slightly away towards the headstock and the index fingers makes an angle across the fretboard? if you look at the fanned fret system you would notice that in that situation the fingers would fit really nicely! resulting in easy to play ergonomic guitar ..
    this particular guitar .. is a monster haha ... it really is! .. everything is custom made. .from bridge, pickups, body, fretboard to wiring .. the intonation and string tuning wont be a problem becuase for these beasts they employ methods used in the piano tunings and setups ..
    for your lowest note @abhi ... lol it wont be a C# mate .. 11hz?? naaa ... ear cant distinguish any sound below the 20hz frequency .. it must be above 20hz .. but considering the thickness of the string.. i doubt it would be anything really high ..
    when it comes to these guitars .. the string and frequencies are setup in the way that particular sets of strings perform as baritone, tenor, alto and soparano ..
    with this guitar the only problem i see is with the baritone .. i would really like to know what notes are them strings playin ..

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I can hear from 16Hz to 22 (or 23)kHz.

Testd it with a signal generator and subwoofer + tweeter combo.

18. shak

shak Harrr!

it varies i know .. i went down to even 14hz in one physics class .. but when you are talking about music.. you wanna make sure everyone hears you good ;)

19. debankan

debankan The bassist from hell

I am sure that it is a bass. I guess it's tuning is E B G D A E in 2 ifferent octaves. Please clarify on this. And where can I get that monster? I want it.

20. shak

shak Harrr!

if you look at the low note strings .. it sure does look like a bass. . then you look at the high note ones .. and it doesnt look remotely like a base ..
    i dunno .. but that thing about have ebgdae done in two octaves .. kinda make sense . .but then having a high e on 7th string at only an octave up???? hell. . that string would be under "some" tension ;)
    as for where you can get these beasts .. .i guess ... usa? maybe .. place a custom order . lets see how many zero's you get on your invoice .. goodluck