WTB: Electric Acoustic Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by lord_neo, Sep 28, 2006.

1. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Someone i know is interested in buying an acoutic electric guitar can anyone suggest something? Price Range upto 30k.

2. Intrinsic

Intrinsic New Member

I personally am looking at the Fender Stratocaster Standard. For the amount of money (converted it into dollars), you'll also want to budget for an amp. This is of course, unless your comrade is willing to spend extra on the amp.

3. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

DUDE he want's an ACOUSTIC-electric guitar.

4. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Gretsch G6136TBK Black Falcon Electric Guitar

ROFL nothing even comes close

5. cronix

cronix New Member

^^^^ its not a acoustic-electric guitar. And do u know the price of that beast. its 1,90,000.

@neo : go for an ovation guitar. At 30k u might opt for a USA made ovation. Go for the Elite or the Balladeer series.

6. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

HI Neo,
    My personal favourite is Takamine. In Bangalore the best Takamine is EG240 which is only about 11K but sounds very beautiful and lush. For your bigger budget, check out
    Takamine EG531SSC which is really amazing. If you can get the guitar from abroad, there are some extremely good guitars like Martin. Look at Martin DCX1E, Martin DXME. Seagull S-Series guitars are also very beautiful sounding and comes from the same manufacturer of Godin Guitars. Another option is Zager EZ Play Guitars. These guitars are modified Sigma Guitars or his own guitar made at the Sigma Factory. Sigma Guitars are from Martin. Zager modifies his guitar and makes his $500 guitar sound like a $1500 guitar. Plus he persoally sets it up with electric kinda low action without any fret buzz and better string spacing making it very easy to handle. He gives you total guarantee on his work too. If you can get hold of it, then go for Zager ZAD-80CE. For $745, it comes with Grover Tuners, Fishman Piezo and orignal Alabone. All these features are availbale only in $2000 guitars of any brands. This guitar is a steal.

Another problem with a lot of imported Acoustic Guitars are they are not very happy with the Indian humid and hot whether conditions and if you are from Mumbai, Calcutta or Chennai, then these guitars kinda hate you. But you can buy the humidifiers and then take proper care to keep the instrument happy. If you are a person who's not gonna take care of your guitar, then look no further than a Yamaha. The APX series are their thin line series and you can also look at their FX Series.

One more option is to buy a Parker or Brian Moore which comes with inbuilt piezo and has rich acoustic tones but you need to plug them to play them. Electric Guitars are more stable to whether conditions than acoustic guitars.

Anyway let me know you requirements and also sourcing restrictions and I will give you better suggestions.

1 person likes this.
  7. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Thanks for replying Ronnie. I would prefer the acoustic electric guitar to be available in Mumbai. I dont think high maintence guitars are my friends cup of tea so lets keep them away aswell.

My friend already has an amp so no problem there.

8. cronix

cronix New Member

I Wonder why u dont recommend ovations

9. Ibanezed

Ibanezed New Member

i heard yamaha semi accoustics are good

10. ronnieanand

Ovations are great when plugged in. When it's not plugged, I am not a fan of it. By the way Ovation and Takamine come from the same company.

11. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

So what should i go for?

12. rohit

rohit New Member

takamine. that 11k takamine is good.i have played it without plugging it in.sounds really good.was for 13k in pune.with 30k budget you can check other takamine models.

1 person likes this.
  13. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

I have played it too. Takamine is something i am interested in but there are so many models to choose from! Any recommendations? Also is Takamine avialble in Mumbai?

14. rohit

rohit New Member

as it is available in pune it must be available in mumbai.which models you will get in india i also don't know.meanwhile bon jovi and richie sambora also use takamine acoustics. which and how expensive model they use?apart from those two many other artists also use takamines.

15. cronix

cronix New Member

I dont think ovation would be a bad deal.

16. slipknot_555

slipknot_555 RuHH..

^yea.quality

17. ronnieanand

Takamine lower end models like EG240 or EG340 is pretty cheap and costs about 11K but it still sounds great. Look at best model that fits your budget. Takamine is a great guitar but handle with care. Get a humidifier for sure. It will only cost about Rs.500 or so but it will protect your investment.

18. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Alright i guess Takamine acoustic electric guitar is the one i will be going for along with a humidifier. ;)

Can anyone recommend any guitar shops in Mumbai where i would find this particular guitar ?

19. Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo The Boy Genius!

Neo: Dude whats the price of a USD in Indian currency? I am assuming its around 50. This makes ur budget around $600. For $600, well yes Takamine will be a good option. Stay clear of Ovations if u want something for playing unplugged. But I think if u want someting really worthwhile, herez what u gotta do:

1- Buy the Washburn F52SW acoustic guitar. Its an ALL SOLID WOOD guitar, not like the regular laminated back guitars. And the solid wood guitar's tone improves with time & playing. Hope u know what a solid wood guitar means. Its priced at $500. And it comes with a free hardshell case. Link:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-F52SW-Timbercraft-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=515199

2- Next step, making it an acoustic-electric guitar. I suggest u get Fishman Matrix pickup system for ur guitar, the industry standard. It is the same pickup used in Martin & Taylor high end Acoustic-electrics (Martin modifies it a bit, hence renaming it as Matrin Thinline Gold Plus). Its easy to install, and is a great investment. Price, $120. Herez how u can install it urself:

https://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Guitar/Pickups/Matrix/matrix1.html

And herez the link for the pickup itself:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fishman-Acoustic-Matrix-NT1-Pickup?sku=303102

I have personally seen this combination in action, and was completely blown off my feet by the performance. This way, u have a state-of-the-art acoustic, and a very reliable & outstanding plugged-in instrument.

The current configuration makes our budget around $620, a little tip outside, but when u see the performance, u wont regret it.

And the maintainence, well a solid wood guitar demands a little more care than regular stuff. But nothing to worry about much. The biggest threat is teh humidity. Get hold of a humidity system, such as Planet Waves product (https://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-Instrument-Humidifier-with-HTS?sku=420982)

Regular humidity level for guitar is 45-50% RH. Now high humidity such as 65% & above can make ur guitar to swell, making its action go higher & minor other changes, but it will come back to normal when brought to normal places. The low humidity is the real enemy. It can crack ur top, ruin ur fretboard, and warp ur neck. Use teh humidifier for rescue if u notice the humidity below the recommended value.

This setup might ask for some care, but it will pay off well. But if u cant even do that, go for a Takamine, but dont expect something huge. Peace out.

1 person likes this.
  20. rohit

rohit New Member