wt r frets actually???

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by garry_lucky, Jan 12, 2006.

1. mr singh

mr singh New Member

thnks, i g2g do exam now... its these as-level exams... did gcse, lsat year... did really gud in them, was very happy wit wht i got

2. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

^^ yep c the pic

it describes the anatomy of the guitar n the fret is the metal thing but it was eventually also known as the space between the two metal frets..........

3. garry_lucky

garry_lucky New Member

Thanks a lot .....
    Got most of my querries cleared :)
    Tx again

4. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

phew...

btw if u like my post gimme sm reps :)

click the yellow smiling icon on the left hand lower corner in my post :)

5. .:SpY_GaMe:.

@ wizzy i gave u reps coz u added the EADGBE positions n
    @ garry thnx for the reps

6. garry_lucky

garry_lucky New Member

Yes a lot ... all d answers frm u guys were quite a help .. am more confident n more interested in learning it now.
    thanku ppl
    garry

7. #iR@

#iR@ GANDI BACHI RELOADED

WOW! :shock: this thread was CONFUSING... but i am glad garry got it! thats wat counts... but this thread SURELY confused me:confused: OK NOW JUST CHKING... the FRET is the SPACE between the METAL LINES thats wat i KNEW... but WIZARD just said it was THE METAL LINES... could ANYONE plzz just tell me wat it is... i THINK it's the space between the metal lines... rite? :eek::

I AM CONFUSED BIG TIME! :annoyed: :eek::

8. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

^^fret is the metal line as well as the space between those metal lines..

9. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

10. #iR@

^PHEWWWWWw!!!! thanks man! i am glad that my knowledge about the guitar (that is very little) is correct! :)

11. .:SpY_GaMe:.

^^ lol

hey we made this thread into a four page thread in less than 2 hrs!!

12. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

ansh admit it man, it's actually the metal lines.

13. anshphenomenon

^^its not only the metal lines..

14. #iR@

AAAAAhhhhhh! not again... :NoNo: once u guys r sure about wat frets actually r... plzz let me know too through pm or watever ... cause i really wanna be sure about wat i know! hehe...

@ spy... lol ... yea u guys can confuse a person completely in less than 2 hrs too! :p:

.:SpY_GaMe:. likes this.
  15. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

@ansh

"not only"???

c'mon man... jst 'coz it's mistaken to be smthng doesnt mean it is...

and the frets being the metal lines isnt exactly an out-dated definition so that's the right 1!!

16. anshphenomenon

i never said that
    a metal line isnt called a fret..
    just that the spaces between the lines are also called frets and thats what we generally understand with the name "frets"..just as dmf said...

@hira ..lol.. ;)

man..!!
    this thread has exhausted me..... ;)

17. zing

zing Machine Head

lolz i hv a Q - why r fretless guitarz called fretless??

18. mr singh

mr singh New Member

ok... im back... let it b known that frets r the metal lines, and 2 play a fret is wen u place ur fingers behind the corresponding metal line

19. mr singh

mr singh New Member

it still seems no1 has answered my question about the strings... i am none the wiser :(

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

ROTFLMAO @ most of the ppl on this thread.

Fret: it is nothing but the metal/wooden/etc piece raised on the fretboard, to enable you to play correctly on diatonic scale.

And NO it is not the space between the ........ frets (godamn thats what they are called) FRETS.

So on guitars: frets are those German silver (for electric guitars) or brass (for acoustic guitars) or stainless steel bars (narrow thini bars) that are raised on the fret-board or finger-board.

When I say play a note on 3rd fret. It means the string should be free to vibrate from 3rd fret to the bridge.
    SO, in order to facilitate that: we press the string at a location so that the string is free to vibrate from 3rd fret onwards.

THAT MEANS:
    1. either you press on the 3rd fret
    2. you press on the space between the 2nd and 3rd fret

1st approach will give you muffled note. 2nd will give u a clearer ringing note.

WHY?

Coz when you press over a fret, U constrict the movement of the vibrating string, and the vibration dampens.
    Hence, the muffling / muting.

However, that shouldn't let you to conclude that 3rd fret also means the "space between 2nd and 3rd fret".

MrSingh:
    the answer to your question lies in the way strings vibrate and produce sound.
    The frequency of the note being generated in a standing wave (that means both the ends of the strings are fixed) is:
    inversly proportional to the length
    and directly proportional to the square root of (string Tension / string linear density)

Since for a string the Tension/density term reamins constant, the frequency variation can be brought about by chaning length.

Check these out:
    physics.clarku.edu/courses/130/Lab2.pdf
    www.physics.isu.edu/~hackmart/spl1sws.pdf

Now since the variation of frequeny is inversly related to length, the frets start coming closer.

Lets take the A string (the seconf thickest) this has the fundamental frequency of 110Hz.
    Now you wanna produce a note one octave higher. One octave higher means the frequency would be double. i.e. 220Hz. And that is where your 12th fret shall be.

From the frequency-length relation you can see that double frequency means half lenght
    Hence:
    The 12th fret will be exactly halfway from the nut to the bridge.
    The 24th fret will be exactly halfway between the 12th fret and the bridge.

So u can see that the frets are indeed coming closer.

anshphenomenon likes this.