Would you buy this?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by blackmamba, May 17, 2005.

1. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Hi...guys...a friend has a brand-new copy of Ibanez JEM in white for sale. How much do you think it should be worth? The guitar is located in the UK. I can check with him if he would bring to India (or maybe I could in July or so...) but depends on interest and if its available till July.

I thought I nevertheless ask you guys....

I frankly do not know the pups, trem etc but when I held it, it didn't feel too rotten...so I guess its a nice decent guitar...and has the JEM looks...monkey grip etc....

The pics are attached...

Attached Files:

2. shak

shak Harrr!

i can pay 100 pounds for this ...depends on the action and the quaity of the pickups.

3. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

i swa the pic -its quite a bad copy - the luthier ahsnt got the looks right... the frets beyond the 25th dont look scalopped and the pickups are dimarzio evos - those are the ones on the origianl -

i really dont know how it would sell for - id need to know its config - but lets say its got nice pups and is well constructed - a new one would sell for rs. 45k... but thats the upper end - as in a good config well built guitar which i doubt this one is... it might though be worth as little as rs. 15k new... thats a huge price range but thats all i could say -

the locking bar is looking like a nice one though...

either ways if u want to see the origianl:

https://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/products/eg/series_frame/area_a/frame_jem.html

ull see why i say this ones not wroth much - it doesn look even close to as deadly as the original...

4. deathdr_87

haha sharukh - thats a low end estimate.... i think its worth a lil more

and i meant beyoind the 15th fret on my earlier post... typo..

5. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

nice one guys...that's what I told my friend....if he sells it...he'll be lucky...personally I would just use it for firewood!! hahaha! That's what I almost did to my JEM555 4 months ago! I was going to but someone bought it for £450 from me...how about that! Some people do not know a JEM from their d**k!!lol!

6. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

lol
    mamba if it was like that
    u wud have sent it to me :)

7. shak

shak Harrr!

no it aint worth more than 100 quid .. infact i wont even give 100 for this one ... probably would settle around for 80 + P&P

@blackmamba: u are right mate, even the real deal JEMs arent very good, let alone the copies, JEM is a typical box standard guitar by ibanez, what makes em good are the pickups, the evos are really punchy and they go well with the light body of JEMs...
    so yeah .. i doubt that this JEM would ever be sold, your friend can try his luck on ebay tho .. there are a million suckers there just waiting to be rippped off...
    ... but one thing CAN be done ... well thats what i would have done if i had bought this guitar ... get an original ibanez wizard neck (replacement) and two evos ... (a fake ibanez decal on the headstock would be good as well)

8. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Shahrukkh...u could buy it for the body...use the neck as a hockey stick...buy a decent ibanez-style wizard neck...get the vine inlay template from me - get it cut on the fretboard by a luthier...then put a vine shell inlay (from me) and behold you have your own jem...the poor man's jem...and then you can number it whatever JEM 0.01 or something...lol

9. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

How about this???

check this one.....and comments will be appreciated...okay let me spill the beans...my friend is a luthier here and he makes these.....never sold one...but I think he has potential...

Attached Files:

10. shak

shak Harrr!

lol ... yeah ..can be done ...hahaha@JEM 0.01
    hey u a lutheir too blackmamba?
    by the way .. the guitars arent that bad ... dunno why he hasnt been able to sell these .. should be good started guitars ...
    tell me how much are they ... i might buy one for my brother ...at least they look good :)

11. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Well, he has not sold as this is his first attempt. They are really not that bad IMHO! And no am not a Luthier - how dare you??? lol!! I am a CEO of a small startup spread between the US and the UK...lol ...that luthier bit is still cracking me up!!

I dunno the price...maybe £125-£150 or so might be fair....shipping included. He is based in Germany!

12. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

take shots of the action, closeups of the neck and bridge areas. as well as the places where there are supposed to be joins. that would give a good idea on the quality of finish.

what sort of material is he using? any stock parts or is everything custom made?

13. shak

shak Harrr!

true^ ... the action, the heel, the neck angle and headstock joint etc are the things that determine the true worth of guitars.

14. deathdr_87

well igeuss i was wrong on this one...

hope i dont end up wrong on too many guitars and thier worth - that would be quite stupid!

15. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Well..he is in Germany. Will try to get this guitar to do some modelling for him....will post back with pics when I get them.

16. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

I am in Spain,pack them up and send it too me, ill be pleased to try out the guitars......and i dont intend on even paying the shipping :D

joke :p

Anyways, looks pretty good, nice finish!, but i never liked those type of guitar......

17. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Update: The red Jem copy is available. I will be bringing it down to Mumbai on June 11th. If anyone is interested let me know. It looks gorgeous, has good pups and shark-tooth inlays on the neck. Wizard Style neck. Check the pics in the previous post in this same thread. The guitar will be £200 = Rs. 16,500. Also has the Ibanez Jem headstock decal applied. No case included and also non-negotiable. At this price, it is a steal!

Please PM me if you are interested.

Cheers!

18. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

cant he make PRS kinda guitars
    or ibanez JS series :)
    or some cool Jackson Dinkies
    !!!!!!!!!
    :)

19. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

or some cool ESP KH-series :) also