wot is an appregio?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by baldeep, Jan 22, 2006.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Cool. Of late I have been playing something like this. I dont know the name of the chord but this is how it goes. It's either E7 with an added Minor 3rd or an Em7 with an added Major third. Pretty interesting stuff. Over this chord, you could play E Minor but keep high lighting the Major 3rd note or play the E Major Scale and also highlight the Minor 3rd in it. Since the Minor 7th note is also a chord tone, you could also use E Mixolydian Scale over it. Best fun would be to combine all of them. Also try using this Scale. It's a Hindustani Raag called Jog. Let's root it in E for you.

E G G# A B D.

Your chord had these notes E G G# D. You could also include the 5th which is B for your chord. The fun part of this scale is observe the notes G, G# and A all chromatics emphasising Minor 3rd, Major 3rd and the 4th. Try transitioning between the Major 3rd and Minor 3rd for a real Indianized touch to this.

Check it out and let me know how it came. Nice stuff. I am currently working on this after Acoustic Dreamer gave me this scale.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Aah that scale that we were jamming on?

OK I need to check this at home.

3. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

That is what a lot of us call the Hendrix chord. E7#9. Check out Foxy lady....this is the chord used for the grove with an open E string on the bass.

alpha1 likes this.
  4. ronnieanand

How could I forget this :annoyed: :annoyed: . By the way it's not in Foxy Lady. It's in Purple Haze. E7#9. Thanks dude. The same is also used by Nuno in Cupid's Dead.

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Well I use it in Both the songs :eek::

6. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

No, I'm quite sure it's in Foxy Lady as well. Perhaps you might use it in Purple Haze as well (though I never tried to).

I hope you're not talking about the first chord on which Purple Haze starts though....that's an A tritone [5678xx].

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

>>Tritone??

8. ronnieanand

Nope. This chord doesn't come on Purple Haze. The intro goes with playing the B Octave intervals and then he plays the E7#9 and then G (x 3 4 5 x 3) and A (x 5 6 7 x 5). He doesn't play A Tritone in that. This chord E7#9 was made famous in the song Purple Haze. Foxy lady starts with the F# note and the G diad. He plays these chords F# Major and also E Major not E7#9. Check it out again. I just checked a lot of tabs for Foxy Lady.

9. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

https://www.famousguitartabs.com/artist_j/jimi-hendrix_guitar_tabs/foxy-lady_guitar_tabs.html

check this dude, The guy says that Hendrix uses an F#7#9 and in the clipping I have of the song, he is playing an F# but his guitar is tuned to one step lower so I suppose E7#9 would be it. This is the first time I'm looking at the tabs though so I dunno if other tabs say different things than this.

As for Purple Haze, I checked and you're quite right about E7#9. I always sorta thought it was a minor...damn, time for a ear checkup. The B octave thing...I usually play B and F octaves together and it sounds okay to me but all the tabs say B octave only :(