Worst singer of all time

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by guitarisfood, Sep 21, 2009.

1. flood

flood New Member

by what measure is elton john a bad singer?! he might be flamboyant and have a terrible taste in clothes, but he has a good, clear and powerful voice... next thing, you'll say freddie mercury is a bad singer!

i can think of a LOT of singers MUCH worse than elton john.

one of the singers i've been instantly disappointed by was charles dominici (not that i'm a big labrie fan), although he's not a particularly bad singer, just very unsuitable for DTs music. severely overrated is michael buble.

phil anselmo worked well for pantera, but i thought he was a pretty ****all singer. same for ozzy - style and attitude totally making up for talent or lack thereof.

the best singers i can think of immediately, of the top of my head, are:
    maynard james keenan
    bruce dickinson
    rob halford
    chet baker
    jeff buckley (emotive as hell!)
    jim morrison
    james hetfield, to an extent

2. metalmonke

metalmonke New Member

gr8 choice of vocalists...flood!
    i am personally not a big fan of elton john but i like some of his songs like your song and sacrifice. i am very much into metal/rock and the list of singers u wrote except baker...they are my favorites too and consider them as vocal gods..

apart from the ones you listed...i worship or like
    axl rose
    john mayer, not much into pop but i listen only because of him(stop this train, your body is a wonderland)
    fred durst
    brian johnson
    coby dick
    B.o.B
    adam gontier
    james blunt
    chad kroeger
    cobain
    shaun morgan
    serj tankian
    edward slade
    david hewson aka bono

to name a few!

3. flood

flood New Member

"sacrifice"? dude, "tiny dancer", "crocodile rock", "rocket man"... can'T remember a single time that tiny dancer played on random and everybody in the room didn'tt join in, much like that scene in "almost famous".

oh, i forgot two all-time faves of mine - ol' frankie blue eyes sinatra and dean martin. i know, they aren't rock musicians, but still...

you think cobain was a good singer? i'm a HUGE nirvana fan, but i just think he fit the role and could really bring out his angst, nasty voice IMO. ditto for billy corgan, although i'm a huge pumpkins fan too.

other greats: eddie vedder, bruce springsteen, chris cornell. the great, great robert plant. i think david gilmour actually has a great voice too, although his songwriting without waters leaves me a bit cold.

4. metalmonke

metalmonke New Member

!@#$, how can i forget chris cornell!! am a huge audioslave fan too..
    others: nick atkinson, chris alder, alexi laiho, james labrie

5. distorted

distorted satan

Serj tankian is GOD
    And gilmour...
    And a wierd choice evrybdy myt find, i like brian warner.

6. metalmonke

metalmonke New Member

i think serj tankian and adam gontier has d powerful voices in the current metal scene. By the way, brian warner, really a weird choice!

7. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

I've been constantly disappointed by axl rose's voice, sounds too much forced. Constipation. Similar opinions for cobain, though both have done great songs. Also freddie mercury, bruce springsteen, and many more already mentioed above are my favvs. Adding megadeth, and darren hayes, though he sounds too girlish.
    Others might differ in opinions, so aint a big deal. I'd've preffered GNR songs in a better voice, it rocks solely due to slash's solos.

8. distorted

distorted satan

^evn m nt a fan of axl rose.

9. flood

flood New Member

seriously? he's definitely on my worst singers list, although i love a whole bunch of songs on his first three albums. i think of MM more as a performance artist than a musician.

freddy mercury had one of the most powerful and clear voices that i can think of. have the queen live in wembley DVD, his stage presence and energy as a showman was fantastic too. great talent, great band. sad he died so early.

oh yeah, and he was a bawa from bombay. :)

add to best singers list: ray charles.

10. flood

flood New Member

i think axl's voice fits in well with the GnR thing back then. also, he was a pretty good showman on the whole. however: check out myles kennedy doing my favorite GnR song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owXjPGosOtM he pwns axl many times over. brilliant. sadly, he totally lacks axl's stage presence and energy.

11. metalmonke

metalmonke New Member

axl rose sprinted ferociously on stage to keep up the energy and sang with all his heart and soul, not that kennedy did not sing with , but i agree with you that he lacks the axl energy.
    btw, great song..
    saw the crybaby 4:25!!!!

12. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

/thread.

Okay, I don't listen to vocal music that much -.- imo, best vocals = Joe Satriani's guitar playing. Love his subtle wah phrasings. :p:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owXjPGosOtM#t=7m10s
    ^Wtf.

Edit - What do you guys think about the singer of "The Darkness"?

UltraEdit -

13. horsesmouth

That was so awesome, yes, many times better than axl..
    And axl had this energy, true, makes me think he was madder....yes made for NWOBHM.

And Freddie was a Bombay parsi.....i guess, makes me feel proud.

14. distorted

distorted satan

Listen to shashank in undying inc. He got two pair of lungs.

15. horsesmouth

^link??

16. metalmonke

metalmonke New Member

17. horsesmouth

He's the man!
    What has he got in his throat btw?

18. metalmonke

metalmonke New Member

metalophagus for sure!