Wood

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Iraqita_EP, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

finally decided that im going to get a tulsi guitar made with emg pups.................................................................
    the body will be a copy of https://www.zzounds.com/item--ESPKH202
    now the question left is........................wich type of wood should i ask tulsi to use??i want a fast and smooth neck...........
    these are the specs for the neck for the guitar in the link
    Body: Basswood

Neck: Maple

Fretboard: Rosewood

Inlays: Skull & bones with model name at 12th fret

Scale: 25.5 in.

2. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Those woods will make for a nice rock guitar. How fast a neck plays depends on the workmanship and also the kind of laquer they use on the neck. If their laquer is glossy and sticky it might not be as fast as a more natural matte finish.

good luck with your guitar

3. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Tulsi wont give much options for wood...seriously doubt it. Better ask him before you try to decide n the wood.

4. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

hmmmmm i actually had this question regarding basswood. I have heard basswood is very balanced with respect to tone and accentuates the mid range. Now what pickups would sound good with a mid range kinda wood???

The general rule is that if you have a dark sounding wood for the body you buy pickups which are bright in order to counter the dark sounding wood and vice versa.

5. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I'm guessing low to medium output pickups should go well with it...2 medium output humbuckers and a single coil in h-s-h combinations should do.

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Forget about wood.
    It'll make miniscule effect on your tone.

And if you are using digital distortion, then forget it.

7. yazi

yazi Banned

Yea, digital kills wood. But if you play clean, its all based on the wood. Then wood quality matters a lot.

And Bass wood is only used 'cuz its naturally available in Korea. None of the better sounding US guitars use it.

And if you want a heavier sound, go for pups matched with wood.
    Dark wood + Bassier pups.

8. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

All this characterization of wood can turn out to be useless, because even for the same type of wood, each piece varies in sound. Just ensure that it resonates well. The final sound of the guitar will depend on a number of factors and just using a particular type of wood will not get you a particular type of tonality.Tulsi will use some non-standard wood which cant be characterized anyway. Forget about the fancy inlay too.

I remember being all worked up about specs and wood when I first went to Tulsi, but in the end you hardly know what he has used ! The guitar turned out fine, so no complains.

9. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Get a KH20 copy :)

10. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Basswood has the flattest frequency response of all popular tonewoods. That's why it always sounds middy. And oh.. wood does make a difference to sound. Even the wood the fretboard is made of. My Ibanez (with a broken neck) has an ebony fingerboard and when I tried my friends roewood fender-ish neck it made a huge difference, all other things equal.

And IMO a dark wood with dark pickups is a recipe for mud. (If I was into dark ) I'd choose a dark wood with clear to bright pickups and darken the sound through EQ.

Of late my tastes have shifted more towards brighter woods like Alder with clear pickups and fuller sound (darkened through EQ). I find this more versatile and definitely more articulate, being mostly a blues player...but that's just me

That said, theres just way too many things in your signal chain that affect what comes out the other end

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Dude, why do ppl keep forgetting the golden rule of tone?

The closer the equipment is to actual sound production, the more will be its impact.

So tone wise it is : Speakers>Amplifier>Pedals/Processor>Pickups>Wood.

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Talkien, that difference in tone that you observe is caused more because of pickups, than the wood.

13. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

I haven't changed those pickups yet :) . Ebody and Rosewood are at opposite ends of the tone spectrum. I'm pretty sure it was the woods. I'm talking about quite a difference, through a clean amp

14. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

The key point is 'All other things being equal '..then you can hear the difference.
    Keeping rest of the chain the same, every component has an impact.If you have a dead sounding guitar(poor wood) with poor pickups, a good speaker wont improve your sound. Conversely, a poor speaker will rob tone from a great guitar. Good equipment can help you hear the full potential of your guitar but it cant make up for something which was not there in the first place. Infact, the good pickups,pedals and amps are supposed to be faithful to the guitar's fundamental characteristics while also adding their own flavour..and not making everything sound the same.

15. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

well...............im buying the emg 81 and 85 set................so dat shud gimme a tone suited more for hard rock................
    i just want a guitar wich will sound good both on clean and with distortion..........
    and he wont do the skull and bone inlays?

16. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

I'm not even qualified to speak among such experienced people, but i'm just wondering how good of a "clean" tone can you actually get if you buy active pickups?

17. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

^ Pretty decent clean tones through any non tube setup. Because non tube setups can't be overdriven, they can only fart.

Although, I don't see why the wood matters so much to you people. Maybe you expect someone to say to you:
    Please don't fret about the wood you're going to use. You don't have much choice here, other than Teakwood, Basswood and maybe some cheap Mahogany.

a) Your amp is going to drown the wood
    b) Your zoom/digitech is going to kill the wood

So don't get worked up about it. Learn to use the eq settings on your amp and pedal (heh, I'm talking...), and get a decent/good set of pickups. Those actives are good for most music, but I doubt you'll see much difference through your zoom/digitech; other than the output.

TheDevil likes this.
  18. yazi

yazi Banned

I dun much like em actives, too much of trouble with battery and stuff. And yes wood ain't gonna make a difference 'cept for head to head comparisons.

And Dark wood + dark pups aren't muddy. They are certainly not for blues but metal(death and black) basks on that!

19. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

for changing the batteries...................am i going to hav to take out the pickups everytime and replace them??

20. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

The battery will be in the control cavity with your vol/tone controls so no you don't need to touch the pickups again.

But really, just buy a pair of duncans. They're cheaper easily available and sound good. What more do you want?