wnt to have a new electric guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by abhi.danej, May 15, 2007.

1. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

thrs no problem as such but if you play a higher end ibanez like a prestige or something.. ull see the difference..

2. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

A pacifica is a great intro into the world of electric guitar. Its made better than the low end Ibanez guitars made in Malaysia mostly.

btw I'm exchanging one of my amps for a '79 US strat :)

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

1. Build quality of lower end Ibanez is not good. They try to capitalize on their higher end model's fame and repute in order to lure ppl to buying the lower end models.

2. Squier will have single coils. What kind of music are you going to play primarily?
    If it is mostly clean stuff, or classic rock, blues etc then I guess you are better off buying a single coil.
    Single coils have brighter tone.

If you are more or metal monger, then humbucker might be more suited to your needs, since it gives more dark and thicker tone.

However in strict sense, these thigns wont matter if you are goign to plug your guitar into an el cheapo digital processor. Since the tone form a processor is more determined by its DSP that anythign else.

3. GB&A is pretty decent. But then the Pacifica is double the price. The price difference is not just because of the brand name. There are some quality issues also. You decide - its your call.

4. MG15 CD is perfect for practice. Anyway in gigs, most of the times you would be asked to go direct into the mixer, and you wont be lugging your amp every now n then.

5. Don't settle for any processor below 10K. That is almost like a threshold. Most of the processors below that threshold are just toys.

If you are interested in buying second hand processor, be slightly wary. Processors are digital stuff, and old processors sometimes have bugs just like computer programs and sometimes crash too!

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Which amp?

5. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

:cry2:

Takes effort but you can make it work if you're strapped. However if not, choose your processor over your amp, because here, you will almost never play through your amp for a big gig.

6. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

I went tube shopping yesterday. Bought a lot of tubes, decent pots, vintage caps etc. to keep me busy for a while. Anyway I have a very special friend who I visited today and spent the day playing his 72 Hagstrom Super swede, 70 tele, 2000 strat and the 79 strat all through his '65 Fender Twin. I spent the whole day in vintage heaven. His 65 Twin is huge and not easy to haul around since he plays his own gear and its aging, so conversation led to an idea. I'm going to make him a Fender 5F4 Super Amp (Leo's favourite design) in exchange for the 79 strat. I don't think I've lusted for a guitar like this before. It's a player's guitar and a great classic at that... :)

btw The Hagstrom makes a Gibson Les Paul look stupid

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hehe, but you would agree with what I say.

I too have sub-10K processor.

The only hitch in that being, the KORG ppl were not intelligent enough - they kept the same chip n DSP of korg Ax1500G in AX100G (atleast it sounds identical), and just reduced the number of features.
    That way it sounds way above 10K.
    :grin:

Actually if you keep the gain low, you would be able to make out the diff in single/humbucker. However, most ppl buying processors keep the gain at 10 usually. :(

8. thehundredthone

True. On my Washburn when I roll the coil split knob all the way back I can make out the difference, but it isn't that bright; maybe it's the mahogany that nullifies it?

9. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

woah talkien.. a 79" original strat.. ur a lucky guy.. post some pics when u get it.. :beer:

10. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

I'd give an arm for the hagstrom but the strat will do just fine. Really cool guitar

11. abhi.danej

abhi.danej New Member

hey all. thnx for all the guru info !
    pacifica seems to b a nice option for me now. i'll check the strat and pacifica again. but i like the humbucker sound (as said, its thcker n complete), so will try to go for tht. i dnt have very specific playing category like heavy metal or so, i jst like to play wt i like.
    i wnt to check out washburns too. any suggestions ? hw abt bajaao.com ? or music123.com. are they trustworthy ? i'm thinkin of dropping processors, and wll b on lookout for a used one. amp i guess mg15cd marshal is bst for my level, any inputs for price ?
    @raj - thnx for correcting me for H funda
    @alpha1 - the pointers are really a help
    @tallkien - man the pacifica 112 has two three models ? JM something
    @thehunderthone - any inputs for washburn X11 and WI14 or any other model widin 13-14k ?

have a nice day and a great weekend !

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Dude, you are in Bombay, I pretty frequently visit that place ...
    Is it possible that I get to actually check out the t00b amp thignie
    *drool*

13. thehundredthone

@abhi.danej: The Washburn X11 doesn't have a locking tremolo, hence when you use it there are chances that the guitar will go out of tune. The Washburn WI14 is decent but I recommend the Pacifica, because the WI14 is really a matter of comfort. You need to play these guitars before deciding and buying if you can.

14. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

even pacifica doesnt have locking tremelos.. thts wat i think.. nyways you should go for a guiatr with a non locking tremelo because in this price range all locking tremelos would be crap and will go out of tune pretty easily....

15. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Yes there are indeed a lot of Pacifica models. I'm talking about this one
    https://www.bajaao.com/yamaha-pacifica-112-electric-guitar-p-3931.html

Most guitars in this price range are going to be made of Laminated plywood. This is one of the very few I know of that's solid Alder. Tonally it will be superior and won't be prone to chipping or wrinkles as it gets old or damp.

It has a humbucker and two single coils which makes it very versatile, but given that it has a pickguard you can always install a neck humbucker later if you want. The wood will already be routed for one, its quite simple to cut the plastic pickguard.

and its generally a feel good guitar. There's something reassuring about Yamaha's build quality ( at least to me)

Even with the highend guitars I seem to prefer the RGX series to equally priced Ibanez' (around 30k bracket.)

16. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Sure thing alpha. Just lemme know when you're coming :)

17. thehundredthone

i think it has a vintage (strat) tremolo so locking is not a necessity. The X11 has a standard FR licensed/copy tremolo so if it doesn't lock it's going to be a real bitch.

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Dude, all my plans are made just the evening before.
    :(

19. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

that's early enough

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

K will tell ya when I am there for little longer than business hours.
    :)