With all Due Respect (on The Guitar contest)

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by thesapien, Nov 28, 2006.

1. geniusoid

geniusoid Acoustic Alchemist

Dude!

They wanted a contest - they laid down the rules which ppl agreed upon somehow (i never say tht the way of judging was right) - then someone gets chosen and ppl always have issues/concerns....

But then if u`re gonna state tht u cant compare apples and oranges and all, and also add tht u`d prefer to try to convince the organizers rather than put in an entry tht can win the next time, i donno whts on ur mind! I`d have rather preferred to put up something tht the occasion asks for, win the stuph, and shut mouths....

To say tht the competition was unfair needs to be left to the judges, the voters, and yes the finalists.

If u wanna quip, u take part, u reach the finals and then u criticise the manner of selectin the winner....

The only reason i joined IGT was coz i heard the finalists and felt tht takin away a Nano in such competition was no swear

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

So what kind of competition would you prefer? One piece given to all members, where in one sub-competition we judge on basis of speed, the other on improvisation, another on "feel", and another on arrangement etc? You see what I'm saying?

3. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

It would still be comparing apples and oranges. Only difference is that they would both be sweet. They would still be apples and oranges.

4. geniusoid

geniusoid Acoustic Alchemist

Let me lay the rules the next time - i`ll show u the way u really squeeze out the best guitarist.... ( i think i`ve detailed on whts to be done in another similar post, so i wont repeat)

5. thesapien

thesapien New Member

Alpha1, thanks man, I'm honored :)

Geniusoid, now that's a good argument against original post, so I'm happy :)
    Agreed dost, who am I to decide for everyone. If people decided after considering every aspect, fine. Like I said, Alpha1 clarified it, and I'm certainly not against democracy. If I'm not happy with majority's decision, I'll be on my way. No hard feelings btw. We both are arguing because we love and care about guitar, which is a good thing. Keep up the good work.

Thehundredthone, the things you mentioned are characteristics of all the styles. Thinking of it, if I'm to organize something like this, I'd have at least 3 classifications as below:
    1) Pop/Country/Folk/General Acoustic : basically the style of strumming and singing. I'm sure there are many people around who do just that. We can't say that the rockers or the classical players are better than these people musically in any way, as it's just a different style.
    2) Rock/Blues : Mostly the electric players in a whole band situation.
    3) Classical : The Solo guitar

It's still a very broad classification, but would be better than (in my opinion) just saying who's the best guitarist. I've excluded Jazz from the list, because I feel not many would be following Jazz in our country. (feel free to correct me if someone around is into Jazz really and is offended by my decision).

Peace!
    Shailendra :)

6. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I'd be mildly offended though I'm not heavily into jazz. It still is a genre I enjoy.

I'd love a contest where we could give the contestants a backing track and then ask them to work with it...or something loosely based on that. However, participation will be a problem since most of us here are just beginners trying to find "our sound". It's an interesting theme though.

7. thesapien

thesapien New Member

Well, I should say then..

You have my utmost apologies BJR. Jazz goes on the list too :)

Have Fun,
    Shailendra