with a problem again!!!!

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by rasika, Apr 14, 2006.

1. rasika

rasika New Member

HI,
    I have been tryin to understand da strumming patterns, i searched, i tried but didnt clearly understand. someone help, explainin in simplest way!!
    for instance..
    how to use this one..
    G - x55433
    C - 032010
    D - xx0232
    Em - 022000
    Dsus4 - xx0233
    Am - x02210
    A - x02220

2. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

I see rasika has come up with another question, which means she is getting serious with the guitar, maybe falling in love!! Okay now for the answer to your question:

There are 6 strings on a guitar which are the following notes: E,A,D,G,B and e
    Now if you hold a guitar in your hand in the playing position, this is how your fretboard and the strings would look to you:

1st fret 3rd fret 5th fret
    e-----|-------|------|------|-------|------ (the thinnest string, the high e)
    B-----|-------|------|------|-------|------
    G-----|-------|------|------|-------|------
    D-----|-------|------|------|-------|------
    A-----|-------|------|------|-------|------
    E-----|-------|------|------|-------|------ (the fattest string, the Low E)

Now often notes or chords are written as "G - x55433". Now these numbers represent the frets on which the notes are to be played. Let me elaborate:
    In such notations there are 3 symbols: numbers, x and 0. G - x55433 would become:

e- 3 this string played on the 3rd fret
    B- 3 this string played on the 3rd fret
    G- 4 this string played on the 4th fret
    D- 5 this string played on the 5th fret
    A- 5 this string played on the 5th fret
    E- x 'x' means the string is not played at all.
    When '0' comes, play the string open, without fretting anywhere.

An easy way to covert such notations would be to first memorize the string names: [E A D G B e] and then when you have a notation like Dsus4 - xx0233,
    just put the string names in the order above the notations:

E A D G B e
    x x 0 2 3 3 and there you have it. Don't play the 'x' marked strings, the '0' marked strings would be played open and the numbers tell you which fret to play which string.

This might seem complicated in the start but ultimately it will become a breeze within a few days.

Hope this helps!!!! And hey.. where are my million dollars???

3. abhimanjrekar

abhimanjrekar ----> Zhol-Man<----

hey , first u get acquainted with the chords and their positons before goin for strummin patterns then i feel...

4. rasika

rasika New Member

ok, so all those numbers represent the position of chords???
    I knew these chords( not all), but v used to draw 6 lines & then mark da finger position & stuff. this way is lot better.thanx
    ok. here's 1 question, wats da difference between chords A, D etc. & Dsus4 ?

5. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

They sound different! Don't they?

6. rasika

rasika New Member

ok. i'll reframe my question. wats da diff in D Dm Dsus4. how many such types r there?? & u know wat i mean??
    I guess shuld control myself now..

7. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

They are different chords based on the same root note.. D.
    You have many such chords based on all the major notes of the musical scale.
    When a chord is represented just by one alphabetic letter eg, C or D, it means a major note. So D is in fact D major (major is not written for convenience). Dm would be D minor, Dsus4 is D played with the 4th note sustained (Experts pls correct if I'm mistaken). i'll leave the explanation for those things for later as you need to first understand some music theory for that, and right now even I'm not very good at it.
    If you want to find out how many commonly used chords are there and in how many ways you can play a chord, check out: www.chordfind.com
    It would show you the finger positions on the fretboard for all common chords and also give you the number notation for the chords (D-xx0232)
    Hope this helps.

8. rasika

rasika New Member

it helped a lot!!
    thanx so much..

9. uj_6string

uj_6string Nickelodean Addict :D

+1.....i used to have a lot of trouble while strumming, but then i practised my chords properly, and once i got the hang of them.....strumming was no longer difficult.....so, practise your chords nicely.....
    to know what strumming patterens are.....go here....this should help you....it is an excellent tutorial....:beer:
    https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=5714