Windows XP Bugs so far..

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by vishwa_81us, Sep 9, 2005.

1. vishwa_81us

vishwa_81us Banned

here r a few windows XP bugs..

Win XP Download Bug June 5, 2002. From Windows Support Center web site by James A. Eshelman. When Internet Explorer on Windows XP is performing a file download and, for whatever reason, the download is incomplete — perhaps because the connection was interrupted, or the server at the other end fails in some fashion — Win XP doesn’t tell you that the download is incomplete. It just acts like everything went fine.

XP wants to be alone... by Tim Higgins about a problem dual booting Windows 98 and XP. Due to a bug in Windows XP he had to wipe his hard drive clean and lost his old tried and true copy of Windows 98, even though each OS had its own partition.

Brian Livingston, in the February 13, 2003 issue of his Brian's Buzz newsletter describes a security flaw in Windows XP. You can boot an XP machine using a Windows 2000 CD and run the Windows 2000 Recovery Console. This lets you operate as Administrator without a password. You can also operate as any other user account, even if the account has a password. You can copy files from the hard disk to a floppy disk or other removable media. He contacted multiple people at Microsoft about this and got no response.

If you connect to the Internet with Windows XP you are vulnerable to a security bug that allows someone to take control of your computer, or read, modify and delete your files. A Microsoft spokesperson said "Every Windows XP user needs to immediately take action. [This is a] very serious vulnerability." So it goes for the most secure version of Windows ever. There is a bug fix from Microsoft. In addition to installing this fix Windows XP users should disable the Universal Plug and Play feature. UPP allows devices added to a network to be automatically recognized and accessed. It is installed by default with WinXP, can be switched on in Windows ME and installed separately on Windows 98. December 20, 2001.
    Read an article from SiliconValley.com or more detailed information on the bug from eEye Digital Security including how to verify that your system has the bug fixes applied. This bug can also effect Windows 98, Windows 98SE and Windows Me. You can read more about this bug in Wired, the Washington Post, the New York Times and Microsoft's take on it.

Windows XP Flight Feature Flawed BBSpot. November 2001. One of the most acclaimed features of the new Microsoft Windows XP release is its ability to enable users to fly without the aid of any mechanical assistance whatsoever. As the Microsoft commercials vividly display, users of XP can fly simply by spreading their arms. However, there have been some problems with the initial releases. Many users are saying that their flying experiences are very different from what is shown on the television commercials. One user is quoted as saying "My computer crashed, and so did I." (satire)

XP's Gotchas. Windows XP is selling briskly, but the patch parade is already in full swing. Here's a guide to the top upgrade glitches--and their fixes. PC World Magazine January 2002 issue. Quoting: "In the weeks since Microsoft launched its new operating system ...we have encountered or heard about dozens of glitches and pitfalls." This is half a gripe and half an FYI. Despite all the hype about how "stable" Windows XP is consider this other quote from the article: " On October 25, the day it shipped the new OS, Microsoft posted multiple bug fixes, compatibility updates, and enhancements on its Windows Update Web site...The same day, Microsoft's Knowledge Base support site also listed hundreds of confirmed bugs found in Windows XP, most of which still don't have patches or solutions." It seems that shipping WinXP on time was more important than fixing its bugs

Windows XP steals your bandwidth. November 29, 2001. The Register. Rather than a bug, the article calls this "sloppy and wasteful configuration". The qualify of service scheduler does this to preserve some bandwidth for important applications. However, QoS should not apply to XP home users or if you just want to download a file quickly. WinXP reserves the 20 percent even if you have switched off QoS via the services program. Read the article for instructions on how get all your bandwidth back. Then again, maybe not. Fred Langa writes in the plus edition of his newsletter of January 7, 2002 that this is not true. Brian Livingston also addresses this issue, saying it is is normally, not a problem in his column in InfoWorld Magazine on March 18, 2002. Microsoft has an article about it called Windows XP Quality of Service (QoS) Enhancements and Behavior.

Security problems open Microsoft's Wallet. November 2, 2001. CNET News.com. The following are the first two paragraphs from the story: Software flaws in the security of Microsoft's Passport authentication system left consumers' financial data wide open, causing the software giant to remove a key service from the Internet to protect people from having their data stolen, a company representative acknowledged Friday. The admission came after an open-source programmer demonstrated serious security flaws in Wallet--the Passport service that keeps track of data used by e-commerce sites. Microsoft shut down the service Thursday, casting a pall on the company's recent efforts to convince consumers that it is serious about security. The incident also undermined the software giant's claims that its Passport system can keep customers' financial data safe.
    The story was also covered by SiliconValley.com and PCWorld Magazine and MSNBC and Incidents.Org which has a technical overview.
    Mark Slemko found the bug and wrote a paper on the subject. He says there is a fundamental design flaw in the Passport "single sign-on" implementation. While he expects this particular bug to be fixed, he says: "...unless the deeper issues are addressed, it is still fairly trivial to come up with a new exploit using slightly different techniques. The key problems here are that the cookies go to all passport.com servers, broadening the attack space, and that when the user uses a password to authenticate for one purpose, the resulting token can be used for other purposes."

XP performance is much worse than that of Windows 2000. InfoWorld magazine. October 26, 2001. This conclusion is based on results of "independent testing performed by CSA Research and confirmed by our work in the InfoWorld Test Center". They compared the multitasking capabilities of Windows XP and Windows 2000 running a heavy processing load and found that "Windows 2000 significantly outperformed Windows XP." In general, they found that as the processing load on the computer increased, Windows XP performed progressively worse than Windows 2000. The article concludes that "...until 2GHz desktop PCs become commonplace, we have a hard time recommending widespread adoption of Windows XP at all."

Don't rush out for Windows XP. San Jose Mercury News. October 24, 2001. Mike Langberg. Quoting from the article: "Fools rush in where computer experts fear to tread. Microsoft is hoping thousands of foolish consumers flock into stores today for the official launch of Windows XP and plunk down $99 for the installation disc. Don't do it. After installing Windows XP on several computers, and listening to the install stories of colleagues, I've seen and heard enough to conclude almost anyone upgrading to Windows XP will find at least one crucial piece of hardware or software suddenly won't work." The article includes details on problems encountered during upgrades to XP and problems with the XP upgrade advisor program.

XP: Price, Performance, Pitfalls. October 25, 2001. By: Loyd Case. ExtremeTech. The author agrees with the comments of Brian Livingston above. Quoting: "Product activation is Microsoft's attempt at preventing casual piracy. The emphasis here is on the word "casual". Microsoft reps have acknowledged that dedicated hackers will find workarounds and hacks to activation, but it's really there to prevent the vast majority of users from installing multiple copies of the operating system on different systems. (This clearly doesn't address the issue of widespread piracy in places like the Far East, but that's a topic for another day) ".
    This article also describes problems upgrading to XP from Windows 2000. Quoting: "Since I had very few apps installed under Windows 2000, the upgrade should be a piece of cake. Also, my hardware was fairly recent: a 1.8GHz Pentium 4 system, a GeForce3 card and a Sound Blaster Audigy... Alas, it was no piece of cake. Instead, the system got into an infinite reboot cycle, always rebooting at the device detection stage".

vishwa :cool:

2. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

Win 2000 is better than XP ...
    Win 2003 is the best till now ...

i know this coz i have to check with the compliance and portability on all the OS ...

3. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

win xp rocks....cos CS source runs on it :p:....

4. vishwa_81us

vishwa_81us Banned

i agree with ssslayer.. i hv not used 2003 but as far as 2000 is there its really good.. security wise 2000 is prefferd more than XP.

5. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

Win XP pro sp2 rox..:rock:...no one better than it..:cool: