WiNdows UpDatE!!----Y/N...??

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by nik_bokacheley, Aug 25, 2005.

?

windows update for you.....

Poll closed Jan 22, 2006.
  1. It's a must!

10 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. I never do!

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

:aggre: OKay, i've win XP sp2! Now I never used to download the updates..It always remained switched off.!
    But, after installing sp 2. I find a notification icon in the taskbar icon group. That thing appears taking quite enuf space..Nither can i get rid off it..Nor do i know..whether to enable windows update or not..Now i don't know shud i turn it on or not....What do you guys have to say??..Are the updates must?..Do i really need to download them??..what do you guys do?? :mad:
    :annoyed:

Pe@Ce 0uT!!:banana:

2. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

This happens automatically in my Windows so I let it complete.

3. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

dont ever try messing with the update thing ...

man ... the windows is a kinda pathetic system ... and there are always loop holes waiting to be exploited ...

these loop holes are being fixed only when some one explots 'em ... those plugs are the updates ...

so TURN 'EM ON .. if u have the licensed version ...

4. shak

shak Harrr!

yup turn em on ......but be sure you have proeper licensed copy..cuz you neva know when they might turn you off ..

5. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

hahaa ... anyway i am kinda turned off by the windows ...

6. shak

shak Harrr!

me too ..thinking of getting an ibook .... have you tried one sss?

7. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

well mac is something i feel way beyond me ...

i would prefer linux anyday ... fedora to be more precise :)

8. shak

shak Harrr!

sss .... buddy ..mate...ma friend ... i need linux on ma machine... lemme know if you can help me do that .. i need fedora as well ..is it possible!..PM me!

9. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yeah its not that difficult ...
    u need to have fedora source ...
    and ya need ta have your hardisk partitioned ...
    one partition u can dedicate for linux ...

otherwise if there is not partition ... disk druid (which used to come with earlier Redhat Linux) will do the job ... only hitch is that u may (rather would) lose some data ...

assigning partition to linux and then continuing from thereon is kinda plain sailing ... but partitioning is a tricky thing ...

10. shak

shak Harrr!

i will get the iso's for the fedora... i do have partitions .. how about 10gb? ..yeah ... but i need dual booting machin ... i know a bit about lila and grub but have no idea about how to go about messing about in the boot laoder .. i am worried about that cylinder overload thingy ..anyway ..
    i am completely new to linux yeah .. idunno even know how to install that .. tho i can mess with windows ..so i'll dload the iso's for the fedora and then bug ya .. k?

btw ... i download the iso's for x86 fmaily right? (i am on pentium 1ghz .. i would neva think of mesisng wth ma laptop .. ) and i should keep the partition to fat system right?

11. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yeah ... windows partition to be FAT ... although now NTFS is also supported but i dunno ... i could never acces my NTFS partition from linux ...

x86 yeah ... mebbe x386 ... forget it ... i need ta go back to home to check it ... it must be the same thing b.t.w. which means intel chipset
    10 GB sounds decent ... coz for data storage u could use the Windows partition also ...

Limux will take approx 4 GB ... (as fas as i remember) ...

for dual boot lilo or grub ... but usually that comes along with the install ... i dont remember doing anythign extra special for the boot ... i already had Win XP SP1 ... when i loaded Linux ...

12. shak

shak Harrr!

i aint takin any risk ...i'll keep the partition to FAT ...
    and i wont download the iso either .. be very sure ..cuz its like four disks... each about 650mb .. its friggin huge for ma 512k connection .. so i'll wait till you give me green yeah .. i386 or x86 ...be sure...
    thnx sss i owe ya one buddy

13. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

x386 it is ...
    coz that x86 is actually: x86_64 ... not familiar to me ... anyway that is meant for 64 bit architecture ... if u have Athlon 64 or Itanium ...

hey b.t.w your comp was it preloaded with windows ... coz just checkout with the vendor ...
    they usually shirk their responsibilities off if u install a new OS on the same comp ...

and for download ... use their torrent link ... torrent is supposed to be the most efficient way to download ...

14. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

i have the FAT partition..
    but even then linux cldnt be installed..
    i had XP in C ..installed linux in D and it didnt workk.
    gonna do it again and see..
    any suggestions...??

15. shak

shak Harrr!

naa built ma pc by myself ... i was just checkin the packaging .. cuz you know when you are buying hardware you are not bothered about what i386 or x86 stuff.. you only look at speed, bus and l2 cache stuff to match the RAM and board ... anwyays .. i'll make sure as well .. googling since then ..
    and yeah i think fedora core3 is betta choice than redhat 9 .. isnt it?

16. abhay_saxena

abhay_saxena Lord of the strings

If you have a pentium processor, then x86 is the one for you. i386 is an older processor which has gone into oblivion now.

17. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

^^ check the fedora core ... x86_64 install is meant for 64 bit processors ... i dunno how many ppl have personal computer with that config ...

b.t.w. x386 is the one that is installed on all the Pentium series ... coz Pentium is nothing but 80586 chipset ... the reason y they have 386 as the separate install is coz 386 introduced a new chipset architecture ... which ws not there in 8086, 186 and 286 ...

486 and Pentium just enhace that ... (Pentium launched some crap MMX as further enhancement)

18. shak

shak Harrr!

yup ... for fedora ..its i386 version ... it works with x86 as well .. well the 32 bit family x86 .. but for the x86 64 bit procs they have diff iso's ..

by the way .. i have done some reading since then i dont think i'll have any problem installing fedora now..the only problem that i might get is when i'll tackle the partitions.i have windows 2000 on C: winxp on D: softwares E: songs on G: and games on F: i have formatted the F: to make space for fedora..the only thing that bothers me is that fedora requires three partions... /(root) / (home) and <swap> (paging) i dont want to lose data on C: D: E: or G: ... i think i will squeeze these three into one F: ... (fingers crossed) i hope it is possible to do so ...!! cuz if it isnt ...... i am into trouble.

19. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

I thought we'd talking about.......WINDOWS UPDATE...?? ISn't it...:)
    :p::p:

20. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yeah ...
    and here coems the update: