Windows or Linux

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by vishwa_81us, Aug 31, 2005.

?

Windows OR Linux

Poll closed Sep 6, 2005.
  1. Windows

50.0%
  2. Linux

50.0%
  1. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

^^^ i mentioned it very clearly ...

I USE WINDOWS FOR PLAYING GAMES ...

2. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

thanx vishwa dude.... :beer:

3. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

I was speaking generally.

4. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

LOL ... i blew it dude ...
    dunno ... aajkal i get hyper quite easily ... :grin:

ne way most of the ppl i have seen having dual boot keep the dual boot for taht ... games ... and some applications that are meant only for windows (like some exe s etc) ...

5. 7miles

7miles ____7miles to success____

nething yaar windows is just the bst ..... mah vote goes to windows , coz i really love working on win xp ,,,,, 3 cheers for windows :beer:

6. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

Win XP pro....Linux based games suck...

7. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

7 miles - u ever tried any other OS?

8. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

Its ok man. :)
    I know that Linux is very stable and good looking and blah blah but people shouldn't say that Windows is s h i t t y and things like that. Itys just that Windows is more widely used and most viruses are made only for it.

9. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

that is TRUE ...
    viruese and trojans and worms can be made for Linux also ... but the thing is that they wont be able to screw your admin profile ...
    windows mein they are able to ... :(

10. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

Yeah, but there are only few of them.

11. $AINT

$AINT Banned

Is Linux same as unix ? i heard from one of my friends..if it is so then i don't like it because that black unix terminal suxx...

12. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

LOL ... another comp n00b ...

Linux is kinda Unix ... agreed (on the flipside the full form of linux = Linux is not unix)

the black terminal exist in Windows too ... doenst Window suck? ...
    Windows has colorful GUI ... it soo wonderful ...
    Linux has better colored GUI ... more variety ... its even more wonderful ...

an OS is not judged by the look and feel ... but stability and security ...
    and the ability to get the job done by the applications in the most hassle free manner ...

13. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

If you asked me this qn. 8 years back - I'd say Linux and if you ask me now - I'd say "Of course Linux!!" - Linux has matured over the years from a operating system mostly used as servers - to a stable, mature and the most versatile desktop OS ever!
    I have Suse 9.3 as my desktop in office and Mandrake Linux 10 on my home pc. Here are some of the things I love to do on my linux box at home:
    =>watch cable television
    =>Record music videos and TV programmes
    =>edit music files
    =>plug in my guitar pickup
    =>surf internet - boldly without any antivirus running!
    =>listen to songs -- the quality of sound in Linux is much much much better in Linux windows -- its way behind -- if u are a music freak -- u have to experience sound on Linux before u die -- or else u wud have missed something i bet !! ;)
    =>Customize my OS and Linux is really flexible (WINDUHS DOES NOT qualifyeven for a comparision here)
    =>Most winduhs keyboards have the labels for three keys totally ripped off (ctrl+alt+del) -- with linux you dont need to press them at all!
    =>Downloads are much faster and online experience is faaar better on Linux.
    =>Community - Linux have Linux Users groups in every area around the globe -- so there are more people to help you with anything on Linux than on winduhs!

Linux. Where do u want to go tomorrow?
    Linux. Opens doors not windows.
    Linux is allllllllllll about freeedom.

A billon dollar advice for all those who dont use Linux:
    Free your mind - your OS will follow!

14. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

Quoting Guitar Boy: "But, do we have any audio software (equivalent of Cakewalk's Sonar) for linux."

Yes we have audacity for Linux - If u install Mandrake 10, audacity is already installed!

Quoting Shahrukh : "..it does get annoying when you cant even get mpeg files to play on your linux.. but hey ... no virus ..no spyware ... no annoying crashes ... i love linux"

Well well .. you can install Xine - its the best! -- or you could install mplayer! And you know what.. Linux is so sound and video friendly that movie makers in Hollywood use Linux. Titanic was made on linux systems. Refer: https://www.geekcomix.com/cgi-bin/classnotes/wiki.pl?UNIX01/Current_Uses_Of_Linux

Another interesting read is: https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4483

There are a lot of animation movies like Shrek built on Linux! (Forthcoming movies being produced on Linux can be found at: linuxmovies.org)

Quoting ssslayer "..XP i keep only for playing games ... coz that is the onli thing i cannot do in Linux"

Well I agree -- actually i dont play games on my pc --but I know of something called CrossOver Office - You can install any .exe applications on Linux using crossover. I could run the windows version of yahoo mesenger and Internet Explorer (I know tht i or anybody does'nt need it but the IE icon on a linux desktop looks cool -- and I get a sadistic pleasure :)) )

And another good thing about Linux that I forgot to mention in my last post above was that its more friendly with mobile phones and digicams. Without having to install *any* software I use my Nokia 7610 to transfer files between the phone and PC using Bluetooth. + I am connected to Internet using the Airtel Mobile Office Connection on Linux. -Well u can do these on winduhs also I guess but its absolutely easy on Linux!
    The mobile phone helpline would ofcourse assume tht every other person uses tht winduhs --- but Im sure things will change pretty soon and a time will come whn when ever1 will assume that evry other person uses Linux. You may say Im a dreamer ..but the voting proves tht I'm not the only one! ;)

15. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

..w0w...now linux is ahead..:)..Sorry guys, i've never used linux..and as a fact, i dont know to operate it...no one taught me ever..!

16. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

hey six string ...
    in gaming ... i cannot use the wine or other windows emulator ... thats coz the gaimz require certain other programs running that enhance the gameplay ... Dierct X for one ... that is meant solely for Windows ...

second thing is that i have creative 5.1 soundcard ... the builtin driver for that (i guess omething Emuk ...) cannot separate the sound into 5 channels ... so what i get is that my rear two speakers donot get any sound ... and my front two speakers take up the load of the sub-woofer as well so am not able to play at high vol (gosh - those small speakers are not meant for sub 100Hz) ...
    if u have any driver info for that i'll be thankful ...

overall i agree with wahtever u said ... :)

17. shak

shak Harrr!

sixstringsin .. wow you are a hardcore linux fan .. nice!
    i am starting to like this fedora too ..haevnt used my xp for the last couple of weeks. .. linux is much betta

18. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

Quoting ssslayer: "in gaming ... i cannot use the wine or other windows emulator ... thats coz the gaimz require certain other programs running that enhance the gameplay ... Dierct X for one ... that is meant solely for Windows ..."

Welll.. agreed 100% Games made solely for winuhs won't run on Linux. And regarding the drivers for the Creative soundcard to support ur sub-woofers -I'd try to find it and will let u know!

19. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

^ not just sub-woofers ... but also 5 channel sound ... :(

that is one more reason i somtimes go for Windows ... the creative blokes are not supporting linux drivers :( .. :mad:

i have searched soo many forums and googled everywhere ... but most of the cases they are referrring to the builting driver in Linux --- but they that is only for 2.1 channel sound not for 5.1 sound ...

dude six string if u come up with some good hack i will do anything (except sodomy and fellatio ;))

20. shak

shak Harrr!

now i wonder why u even mentioned this .. i guess there is a good chance for gettn a request for either of these ..hmmmm