Windows 8?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by ayu135, Nov 2, 2012.

1. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

What do think of the new windows 8?

I personally feel it is visually quite appealing and performance upgrade is substantial. I particularly like the fast boot times. It has a bit of a learning curve but once you get a hang of it, it is quite usable. I bought it legally for Rs 699 and i find it is worth it. But watch a few video tutorials on youtube explaining the new interface as they are not obvious on their own.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I actually prefer Unix (on the lines of System V or BSD 4) with command line interface.

For eye candy I prefer Ubuntu.

I read somewhere that Windows 8 is pretty much like Windows 7 and not like touchscreen mobile phone interface - is it?

3. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

People in India flaunt when they "buy" software...

4. nandy0894

nandy0894 New Member

and they end up completely ignoring the ones who "create" them :p:

about windows 8..the display is better..now that u can easily access many programs together ... even the video quality has improved tremendously, it even supports stereoscopic 3D content..the windows store thing is quite similar to apple's app store...

the only bad thing perhaps is that they've removed many games...including chess titans :(

5. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

because they rarely do "buy" one!

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I think you people have totally lost the plot here.
    Ayu meant to emphasize that the legal price for Win 8 is Rs 699 - which is less than a bottle of whiskey.
    Hence, value for money; also there is no reason why you have to resort to pirated win copies if the actual one is available for such a low cost.

7. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

or they just let you know the price they bought it for...?

8. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

Wow of all the things windows 8 has to offer all we have talked about is that i bought it legally :/ anyway about alpha1's question. I would like to put it this way if you have a touch enabled device like say the Microsoft Surface Pro, you will really enjoy windows 8 as the touch integration is significant. But if you are a regular desktop user 90% of the time you wont even feel that you are on windows 8. And for the rest 10% time the visuals bring a refreshing change from the drab look of windows since the days of windows 95. But that being said it took a little getting used to the absence of the start menu, but the new start screen replaces the start menu and the new search make searching everything a breeze. Plus you no longer need to have a cluttered desktop full of icons the start screen has them.

I currently lie somewhere in the between i dont have a full touch enabled screen, but i do have a multi touch trackpad on my laptop and after the recent driver upgrade from Dell it has the support for gestures in windows 8. A swipe from the right edge of the trackpad opens the charms bar, swipe from left switches between apps when on the Metro UI. Swipe from the bottom opens the app bar. Swipe down with three fingers to open up the settings, swipe up with three fingers to open the search when in the desktop mode. so yeah i can now quite efficiently and fluidly navigate around windows 8.

Edit: An apt analogy just popped up in my head. In some buildings they have both ramps and stairs. People with disabilities like people with motorized wheel chairs etc can use the ramp but the rest can continue to use the stairs.