Why should we buy an acoustic guitar for learning?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Addy Pant, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

Hi guys,
    This thread is not for me becoz i know how to play, but for my friend whose starting to learn the guitar. He wants to know why do people prefer to buy an acoustic guitar for learning and then switch to electric. So please tell me quick so that I can advise him.
    Thanx guys!
    IGT rockssss
    :rock:

2. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

because if ur a beginner and u dont sound nice - andu play on an electric - ur mummy and daddy will get irritated with the noise and throw you out of the house - an acoustic is softer and thus better for your family's health

3. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

ACtually its only in India that I have heard this so much - that u need to start with an acoustic.
    Int he US you find more electric "beginner packs" in the stores than acoustics.
    I think the main reasons are:
    * An acoustic guitar is way cheaper than an electric (I got my first acoustic for Rs 1200, and cheaper ones were available). Club the cost of amp, cables etc and elec becomes an expensive deal. (Here in US acoustic and elec cost abt the same, and u can get a complete beginner elec pack with amp turner cables etc for less than 200$)
    * An acoustic is easier to handle in the sense that u can pick it up and play anytime u want, carry it wherever you want etc. You might nede that as a beginner, for instance to take classes or practise at a friends place etc. or simply to sit in your backyard or balcony and play. You won't have that freedom with elec. This means that u might be playing more often (no laziness in plugging in etc) and so practise more.
    * An elec amplifies ur mistakes. An acoustic is more forgiving. At the same time, an acoustic demands involvement - you must strike the string with a healthy force etc. u can get away with wrong picking styles in elec, but not so in acoustic.
    * Last but not the least, this is my personal opinion - an acoustic guitar is a more beautiful instrument than an electric guitar. Its easier to fall in love with an acoustic gutiar than an elec. It will keep you involved and help you concentrate on your music, rather than worry about the amount of drive or compression. Hopefully you will stick to acoustic, become a virtuoso, and make beautiful music instead of shred on a fuzzy overdriven elec that sounds like an dirt bike on a dusty road in the center of alabama.

death_metal_fan likes this.
  4. golisoda

golisoda Comfortably Numb

^ Wow never thought there were so many reasons to start with an acoustic...

One more reason some people say is acoustic is bit tough on ur fingers to play which gives them the required strength and when u transform to an electric u have swift hands.

But I think both type of guitars involve unique technique, skill and output which often take a back seat while choosing either one of them.

5. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

Don't totally agree with this.

An electric does amplify your mistakes but only if you play it minus affects. The single biggest difference between the electric and acoustic is that the note of the electric is consistently ringing long after you expect it to finish. For this reason you cannot get away with wrong picking styles in electric, nor in acoustic a wrong picking style is just plain wrong.

As for other reasons the main reason is that the acoustic requires more strength to strum/pick whether it be finger or plectrum. It also requires more strength in your left hand to be able to fret the notes down. Thus you can improve quicker on an acoustic since your finger strength and finger stamina is built up faster on the acoustic than the electric.

6. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

I only bought acoustic to learn coz i didnt had cash for electric. Go for electric if you have cash.

7. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

yes and ur family is fine with noise

8. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

9. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

agree with ananth on the part about the cost
    and with rabi too.....
    if it amplifes ur mistakes wont u come to know of ur mistakes earlier too...so wont u rectify them ealrier on too....thus stop them from turning into habbit :)which wud be hell to correct later