Why do (most) Indians think that dark(er) skin is somehow ugly?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by shsnawada, Aug 26, 2006.

1. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Whats wrong with melanin? I've tried to understand it when i was in india but i just couldnt.

2. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

I dont think dark skin is ugly. Maybe because most Indians are dark skinned and lighter skin people are hard to find, so more attractive?

3. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

i find women with darker complexion more attractive...
    being fair isnt the only thing...

some girls with darker complexion have better features..

4. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Are you kidding me .. I love those tanned/dark Chicas ..

But yeah.. There are Indians who do think tis ugly .. Not just Indians though but even Many whites but for totally different reasons (say racism etc)

It really depends on one's thinking n how you carry yourself .. (Look at J'lo, Will Smith etc)

5. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

Alas! Women doesn't find that :mad:

6. women like tall, dark and handsome men.

7. faiqrock

faiqrock XaiQ

Well i think Some indian's are dark bcz of The Air the Atmosphair..you will find dark ppl from South,bangali, bcz that side is Near Srilanka...and Srilanka ppl you all know:p:
    you'll not find any 1 who are living in Dehli Mumbai bcz the are not near South side i think...
    i dont know i m right or not:p: but thats my thinking
    Tc

Faiq

8. vinyl

vinyl Watch this space

The dark in 'tall, dark and handsome' refers to a tanned complexion, not dark brown or black. No one wants a pasty white guy who looks like he's never done any work out in the sun and sits at home all day.

It's not just Indians who think a fairer complexion is better than darker. Most people around the world would think the same. It's to do with human psychology and how we perceive colours. White is seen as angellic/heavenly, whereas dark colours are usually associated with evil/somber affairs (for example, for funerals, people wear black).

Fair complexions seem to signify cleanliness, wealth, while dark skin is the opposite. It looks as if the person is poor and works a blue collar job out in the sun.

Of course, everyone (almost) knows that the colour of the skin doesn't really tell you anything about a person, but society/our brains make us subconsciously look at it that way without realising it.

9. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Nice explaination, but it doesnt really explain why others (like myself) dont have this way of thinking.

10. saustin316

saustin316 Member

I dont really think most indians think dark skinned people are ugly. Yes most celebrities we have basically in bollywood or even in our singing group are not so dark, ofcourse there are exceptions but I'm talking from a general point of view, so probably the fact that most of our celebs are fair and famous gives a wrong direction to ugliness and non-ugliness. Also I'm coming from north India and know that most people from north look down upon people from south who are usually the darker skin types. I'm from bengal and many people have darkish skin here but no one gets bullied or something when they go to other states, but you'll find people talking about south indians. So I dont think its the dark skin rather where you're coming from. I dont have any vandetta against people from south india, some of them are my best friends, so please I hope nobody was offended, this is just my opinion on this topic.

11. vini

vini Repeat Offender

nandita dass is so pretty, isnt she?

and btw,,how can i leave w/o saying.."beauty lies in the eyes of beholder"

12. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

No ! .. Beauty lies in the eyes of "beer"holder ..

13. vini

vini Repeat Offender

. .

Attached Files:

• v.JPG
      v.JPG
      File size:
      909 bytes
      Views:
  14. cumming soon

cumming soon Banned

its coz we ape the west and want to be like em in every way hence the obsession with fairness.and somehow the words black beauty are always associated with horses rather than women thus black becomes a word offensive

15. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

I dont think thats true
    Even before the white came to india fairer people were considered better looking

I think its got to do more with the caste system
    even in old literature lower caste people are potrayed as black and less fairer

16. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Isn't that just the opposite of saying that you find people with fairer complexion more attractive? It's just a reverse thing but equally bad in my opinion.

Anyway, I don't think I have anything worthwhile to add here.

17. cumming soon

cumming soon Banned

nce said bjr and @ ambush how can u say that fair ppl were considered attractive even bfore goras arrived.

18. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Indians do have different skin tones and the fairer people always drew praise in lore.

19. cumming soon

cumming soon Banned

bjr have u been watchin repeats of mahabharat and ramayanas. coz they showed the well off ppl fair and vice versa. poor ppl were black coz they worked their asses in the sun and these kings and kins had some ppl fanning them

20. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

not really, I still remember them from first time around.

Check out descriptive literature from any era and you shall probably find these references to fair usually equalling to beautiful.