Why are scales important?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Howlingwolf8, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Howlingwolf8

Howlingwolf8 New Member

Help me with this thing. My teacher makes me practice guitar scales. How are they important? Thanks.

2. raga2303

raga2303 Member

Very important.. listen to your teacher... and you will find it soon yourself..

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Scales are important because they serve as a rule about which notes go together, and which notes sound well in context.

And practicing on the fretboard gives you a finger memory.

4. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

There is no point simply practicing scales. It will be just like how you learned mathematics in school. You are simply taught formulas and principles, and told to practice it endlessly without ever being told what is their use. To make use of scales, you need to listen to songs and understand its structure and such. If you have the talent, you can pick it up on your own. But i lack that sense, hence i wasted a lot of time trying to learn scales. Don't get me wrong, i used to know how to play scales, and it did improve my playing speed, but unless the scales are in your mind you can't make use of it.

Most music teachers just stick to a generic routine of making you practice scales and then making you play some classical piece.