why are nirvana so overrated

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by sanat_satan, Mar 4, 2005.

1. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

^LOL!!! Check out Weird Al Yankovic's version of that, and i dont believe in this hype about Nirvana. It was a part of grunge, and yes, it was famous among the freaks of the world once, and maybe is, even now. Melodious? I'm sorry but i seem to have missed something, which song of their's is melodious? But i agree with you on one thing, it all depends on individual perspective...

2. stoned_survival

stoned_survival New Member

ya individualistic approach affect every decission --and uve ever heard --"jesus don wan me for a sunbem ", man who sol the world ----covers ---but danb melodious ---aint i right ---and dumb,in bloom ,in my heart shaped box----originals ----and melodious---u want me to lengthen the list :)

3. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

reasons for the nirvana hype:
    1. The name(kinda sticks to ur head)
    2. Cobains being found dead by an electrician(thanx aleric)
    3. Smells like teen spirit.

funny how one song can do so much for a band...all teh other songs are crapp. No doubt about it...just one song made it for them.
    lol..i heard that in some gig cobain even failed to tune his guitar..hehe.

4. stoned_survival

hey dennis whats with u man !!! nirvanas created some gr8 melodies ---some easy but nice chord progressions ---lithium for eg ---nice chord progression aint i rt ?

5. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

hmmm...well, its a personal opinion. I listen to progressive stuff which blow nirvana chord progressions into oblivion.

6. stoned_survival

well like what dennis ---what prog stuff u talkin abt?

7. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

dreamtheater,lte,floyd etc etc.
    for eg. u are a stoner , hence u must be a floyd fan...listen to pigs,dogs from the animals album?..now thats some good chord work..not lithium
    and Dreamtheater..well tats beyond belief.

8. d_ist_urb_ed

^He, please dont compare John Petrucci's work with riff-raff. It's an insult to him:grin:

9. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

^hehe...my apologies :):)

10. stoned_survival

hmm ---floyds damn cool ---amazin ---but in my opinion so is nirvana ---well u got a good choice there ---dreamtheatre rocks man

11. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

hey ,
    dream theatre god rocks.i got one of their songs under a glass moon .man, its got superb solo.and i also have this dreamtheatre starring bruce deckinson - perfect strangers<cover of deep purple> which i recently downloaded using foldershare which u can try by downloading it from www.audiogalaxy.com .u must check out this only good and suberbly covered song by cradle of filth<gotta admit i dont like death doom black stuff> of ironmaiden's hallowed be thy name.they played it so ligtning fast , it sounded like faster or equal to joe satriani.

yeah, i gotta agree that nirvana is so over-rated coz' people realized they rock after kurt kobains death.

12. cool_rahool_4

cool_rahool_4 New Member

ok enuff of the gnr v/s nirvana ****!!!!! ..... nirvana was a great band. their style is simple chords, simple riffs, simple solos, great lyrics = great songs!!!! thats why they are so great.and cmon.. they almost killed rock for ten years!!!! are they an over rated band-YES..... were they an overrated band-NO!!!!!!!!! i think as a musucian kurt is one of the best!!!! he'll be in top 5 for sure!!!!! AND IF U READ BETWEEN THE LINES U WILL SEE WAT A GREAT LYRICIST HE IS!!!!

13. d_ist_urb_ed

^What? You need see the doc, "are they an overrated band- YES.... were they an overrated band- NO!!!!!!!!!"? What's that mean? Are you contradicting yourself or pointing out that Nirvana were a great band once, but are overrated now? I didnt understand, and as a musician Kurt Cobain sucks. Top 5? lol. Read between the lines? Great lyricist? Ok bro, if you have "read between the lines" in Smells like teen spirit, pray tell me the meaning.

14. Srirangan

Srirangan The Song Remains the Same

Only a fool would just Nirvana on the basis of just a couple of songs that got pop status. Listen to their real stuff before dissing them.

15. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Hmm.. yeah... but tell me this...
    Why is it that the people noticed NIRVANA much more after the suicide attempt?

Yeah, any publicity is good publicity.. but it's like, Cobain sold more records once he's dead...

Actually, so does Nussrat Fateh Ali Khan & the T-Series guy who was murdered outside the temple...

Sorry for going off-topic...

SORRY FOR COMPARING NUSRAT TO COBAIN... NUSRAT RULES!

JAZZ likes this.
  16. d_ist_urb_ed

@Srirangan, i have their entire discography unfortunately, and i have listened to their real stuff. That doesnt change anything. They still suck.
    @Asmodeus, lol, good point:grin:

17. Srirangan

Srirangan The Song Remains the Same

Millions don't think so. Either way, I don't care.

18. d_ist_urb_ed

^Millions do too:) Anyways, good point, why are we arguing about that? You listen to what you like and i do the same. I have my opinions and you have yours, so Peace:)

19. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

well actually its not that they are overrated- thnier music and lyrics really appealed to the crowd of their time - all disillusioned abt. life and all in the us... they have a few catchy tuens - i really like some of their songs even though im very authoritarian -

well i thnk theyre catchy - thats wat got so many ppl hooked to them... - ya i agree with stoned survival - theyu dont ahve ne great solos or nething - its just the asic nice rhythms with some voacals in the back - they sound good - so wheres the prolem?

20. d_ist_urb_ed

^They were good, that's all. They're not great, that's what this thread's about:grin: Apparently, our newest member rahool thinks so, and we try to knock some sense into birds like them, and so the battle rages on, Intelligence vs Idiocy.