Who is the reason you picked up the guitar?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by rabi_sultan, Jun 2, 2004.

1. alex

alex New Member

heee - that wht i hve leraned - i do all the things for myself only-

@bob - u r supposed to react like that - i agree sound like a story - even i do laugh a lot whnever i think of that. i was'nt anything - stupid like love - for me it does'nt exist.

@sonali - i'll think about that - as she is a gud friend of mine - that would be her wedding gift -hahahah, i wud be doing that happily.

@abhay - huh! did u voted for love?? anyway that was smwht true - lol- but they can be good friends, and yeh - who ask you to get involved - just enjoy flirting with , u'll hav lot varitey as well - enjoy and chill buddy.

2. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

come to africa ppl ;) you'll forget all the nagpurs and hyderabads .....

3. bob-bobby

well as i ve said earlier i picked up the guitar for my craze for the instrument , i simply love it and love the strums ....

i play it for my self and n joy the most when i am alone ....

4. R@hGuZaR

R@hGuZaR DRUMMER 2 THE GRAVE

i picked up the axe all because of xulfi and he continues to inspire me.

5. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Slash Slash Slash! I saw the November Rain Music video back in the 9th grade, and well when i heard Slash's solo, i decided that the guitar was the instrument for me.

6. Frozen Flame

Frozen Flame New Member

i started playing cause i was inspired to play rock since i started listening to e.p

7. Menon

Menon New Member

Heyya Guys..
    Wow..that's a lotta posts for one thread..way to go yall!! I started playin the guitar after a certain gentleman called Toni Iommi was introduced to my ears by a musically gifted friend of mine called George..he could play any thing that made noisE!
    NEhow..I couldn't quite digest the fact that someone would pick up0 something as, well pure, for lack of a better word, as a guitar, to satisfy his/her carnal urges!!
    NEways..it's really nice to see the spirit on this forum..it's really really pleasant and I hope to be part of it for a long time to come!!
    Cheerio
    Menon

8. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

my inspiration for playing came from the Strings guitarist Bilal Maqsood :nw: . i saw him in the 'duur' video some 1 yr back . the song rocked me completely !! to me its the 'song of the millenium' (along with 'sar kiyae ye pahar')surpassing all the limits of meoldy.
    i knew from that day that i wanted to play like him !!! :rock:
    and now guitar is a like a lovely addiction....

p.s. - sorry if this disappoints u.. but i'm probably the biggest Strings fan !! :rockon:

9. Kirk Hammett
    Joyce Sada...my Uncle..

10. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

i started actually after seeing Saif Ali Khan playing i dunno what, on some show i dunno which! also i used to listen to a lot of limp bizkit, n some punk stuff at the time!

i play now bcoz of joe satriani, slash n a lot of other ppl...but listening to Steve Vai always make me put the guitar down! he is just gr8! i dunno if i could ever play his compositions right upto the end, honestly!

11. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

ok i was a piano/kb player when i was in india and quite happy playing rock. then i moved to usa.. and started playing indian bollywood kinda music on live shows with indian bands. thats when i realised one thing.. indian public can appreciate only one thing.. vocals.. or if someone comes and does circus in front of their face. 90% of the public cannot associate the music they r hearing to the person actually playing the instrument. which is why in india u get shows where u have only vocals with recorded backup music. Actually this kinda thing is prevalent even in usa .. the britney spears ashlee simpson fake music genre.. but there is also a market for real live music. well coming back to my guitar story.. so desi show after desi show the keyboard players did most of the work.. which is needed to pull off these bollywood shows.. from arrangign 12 of the 16 tracks in the song to programming various patches to simulate ethnic instruments etc.. and at the end of the day.. u get this empty feeling cause no one notices u.. i never had this feeling when playing rock cause 1> i loved that stuf and 2> everyone in the got a share of the limelite. but then the guitarists of one of the early desi bands i played.. that dude couldnt even play rhythm properly and half the guitar parts were coming from the keyboards.. but the public didnt udnerstand that.. he got appreciated too..
    also when u think of great vocalists u think of robert plant,ozzie,axl rose (from appetite for destruction ) etc similarly u have great guitar and drum gods.. neil peart,van halen etc etc.. when it comes to kb what do u get? elton john? stevie wonder? yanni??!!!! I was never into prog rock and had never heard of rick wakefield and such types back then.. dude i needed a better role model to emulate :) .. so i picked up the guitar :)
    a combination of all these factors but mainly the indian public and their lack of musical understanding of anything which was not vocal or melody based led me to pick up the guitar.

Jay ( in a very cynical mood)

12. skaw

skaw snooze

interesting jay... hope you have eliminated that empty feeling inside .......

13. pacificwaters

pacificwaters - .+:| Oriel |:+. -

that was interesting jayswami....... can understand......do agree with u though

well abt me i always wanted to play some musical instrument since childhood and i cudnt decide which. then when i saw my cousin playing ......i decided that the musical instrrument has to be GUITAR and now i m just hooked to it. just fell inlove with it.....i guess

14. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

The single reason why I picked up the guitar was Ilayaraja and Ilaya nila.
    Since then I've explored a world I hadn't even dreamt of!

15. DesiPride143

DesiPride143 BEHAVE!

my reason for playing guitar is that i had always wanted to play it, ever since i was a child. i had this passion toward this instrument like you have toward somone especial. i always i asked my parents to get me a guitar but they never would. they didn't like the idea of me playing guitar, they think music is a sin (according to islam) so that's why they didn't wanted me to play it. well, guess wot? on my 17 birth day my sis got me a guitar, ever since i have been jamming it's been 3 years now!!!

16. DesiPride143

DesiPride143 BEHAVE!

hey, this thread should be a sticky. don't you guyz think so

17. Menon

Menon New Member

Heyya Guys..
    Jay..you seem to come across as someone who's playin to get noticed and appreciated rather than derivin satisfaction from playin the instrument(s) and takin in the little moments that adulation and public recognition kinda overshadow..!!
    I don't mean to sound offensive, but mebbe you oughta jus play what you wanna play and enjoy it thoroughly..I mean what could be better than creating something? It's a really powerful feeling and it's wonderfully peaceful and self-satisfying, knw what I'm sayin? I'm jus suggesting so you might do away with that empty feeling of not being appreciated o other such very disturbing emotions!!
    Cheerio
    TOke it easy
    Menon ;)

18. sonu

sonu New Member

I started playing guitar basically to surprise my g/f and it worked pretty good. I picked up the guitar very late but am glad that I did. Better late than never !!!
    It is a life long hobby now.

Sonu

19. bob-bobby

great story there swami , its nice to hear diff stories from diff ppl , i wrote my reason of playing guitar , dunno long time back in this thread ........

its never too late sonu for anything :)

20. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

to answer menon, i am sorry i am not such a big person to spend 3 4 hours a day for 6 7 years and still not feel this way at the end of it. part of the reason is in the end this is just bollywood music which is 90% crass ..out of 30 songs ina show if i like 3 4 that would be an achievement.., and i wasnt getting paid either. I dont have any problems spending extended time in isolation in my home recording studio composing and trying out new things. try doing these bollywood shows and the cheap band politics and the primadonna attitudes of the vocalists u have to cope up with.. u will then probably understand what i am saying.. or maybe u r a dalai lama or a gautham buddha :D In any case I shouldnt have put all my woes with indian public and prima donna vocalists as the reason i picked up the guitar, maybe they were just factors.. whatever maybe the reason I am glad I did :)