Who is the reason you picked up the guitar?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by rabi_sultan, Jun 2, 2004.

1. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

who was the influencing artist(s) for the reason why you STARTED playing guitar and who are the biggest reasons why you CONTINUED playing the guitar?

Thats STARTED not CONTINUED, for example:

i started coz i saw Nirvana, but I continued once I heard and saw Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and Carl Fogerty (CCR)

2. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

i started playin da guitar a few months ago.. coz my ambition 4 a reeeeeeeeeeeal long time had been 2 play afraid 2 shoot strangers.. by maiden. so i guez dats wat got me started. well, i cant say abt continuin, coz i juz got started!!!!! n well, i still havnt achieved my long time ambition- dats 2 play afraid 2 shoot strangers... until i play dat, il neva put down da guitar.. (er, after dat 2...) hope i can play it gr8 sumtime soon :)

3. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills &amp; Far Away

i picked up the guitar first only to accompany my singing... i wanted bad to learn when i was in the 8th grade and saw some older guys banging away at it so well... and i'd quite forgotten about it for some 8 yrs when someone just gifted me a guitar last year...

bryan adams was a fav pop singer so i nailed down all his songs right in my beginning months (which i found wasn't a tough thing to do at all)...

thanx to the guitar, i was forced to learn so much music theory i'd never ever have learned in my life. i also see the guitar as the best tool to learn composing on, to become a much better musician... the guitar becomes an extension of your personality, which too in turn keeps on becoming refined with maturing musicianship...

then my seriously growing love for the guitar led me to discovering my guitar idols page, hendrix, slash, petrucci etc, and the hope of being able to play all their stuff someday continues to inspire me to keep moving ahead...

4. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

I starter Playing Keys listening to Floyd.. Then I accidently got this Steve Vai cd when i was in 8th Grade.. I was completely inspired.. The ones that keep me going are.. Al Pitrelli, Paul Gilbert, Shawn Lane, John Petrucci, Dav Mustine , and Satriani, and Dimebag and many many more..

5. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

Started only due to Jimmi Page (led Zeppelin) and Stairway to Heaven... continued due to Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian and now my influences are being re shaped by bands like Sonata Arctica, Ayreon, Dream Theater etc...

6. jayanth

dream Theater is a real driving force..

7. guns n roses

guns n roses Pro Guitarist

I started guitar because i listened to AC/DC and I saw a video of Slash playing gtar and he was GREAT! i bought a guitar for christmas and started playing enter sandman. later i moved onto small riffs in mags, hammers,pull offs, and bends. i first tried to play the solo of green days song (forgot it). Then i learned GNR music like Paradise city. Sweet child o mine (really hard). and welcome to the jungle. it was cool. After that listening to Jimi Page i learned chords.

8. jayanth

Sweet Child yet again..

9. prash_rocks

petrucci is becoming a much bigger influence on me... not that i can play any of his stuff, but his amazing technique ensnares me more and more. i got many of his lessons published in 'guitar world' recently and also rock discipline (so far only the book)

jimmy page is an old trusted influence and shall forever be.

10. wisevijay

wisevijay newbombayrox

me and my friend just had a fantasy of playin on the stage like Metallica and eagels did(live versions of nothin else matters and hotel california were the first vidoes we got):;): then we started listnening to all other great guitarist.

11. jayanth

I have the ROCK DICIPLINE DVD.. Its amazing.. I have about 50 CDs tutorials.. he he.. If you like DT then try Symphony X and Children Of Bodom. Two other levels of a band who will make a different kind of influece on you...

12. prash_rocks

i will. thx.

13. demonstealer666

demonstealer666 New Member

Well , i m playing guitir for 7 years and i like to play mostly heavy metal

14. jayanth

Are you in the same band as Demon Stealer.. Whats your name??

15. guns n roses

thatd be coool. a band,.........yep,,.....ive been playing not long and i just learned tapping so i could play the tapping part in One by Metallica.

16. jayanth

THats easy.. The solo after the double bass part he he.. Pick tapping..

17. tejas

tejas ..........

The reason why i picked up the guitar was Steve Vai. I saw one movie called "Crossroads" ( not the one with britney spears. This one is an old movie ), in which steve vai has a guitar duel with a kid. The solo the kid plays to beat Steve in the movie is awsome. Later i learned of course that it was Steve vai who actually made it. The solo is called "Eugene's tric bag". You can get the video clip off kazaa. I saw that and i was just blown away by it. So i decided to learn it. The reason i continued is because the more i played it the more i loved it. Of course i was influenced by the likes of Jimmy page, Hendrix, Dave mustaine, Slash and Kirk hammet.

18. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

I saw the Metallica - Live Shit: Binge & Purge concert on DVD and well......

19. i picked up the guitar becoz of viva

20. guns n roses

im still continuing because i watch Slash, Kirk, and Satriani videos, pics, interviews.