who is the fastetst and most melodic guitarist ever

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by asharpminor, Apr 16, 2006.

1. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

????????????????

2. asharpminor

asharpminor New Member

mr moderator i dint mean to say anything about my or your techniques..frankly speaking i dnt have any..hehe...i attended some guitar classes at a tender age ln earnt staff notaions..dts all...u told to post some rec which shud be melodic and fast..but i can play neither..and in general i think evrybody gets annoyed at my posts..think deeply..i havent told anything wrong..just expressed my opinions..better to quit this thread..i think it was a big mistake to take up this topic..thanx..

3. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

All you guys have gone bananas .. Best guitar player is Himess reshamiya .. Didn't u see da video of samjho na !? :p

4. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Havent we been a little too harsh on him??
    I apologise, u seem to be a nice guy. Welcome to the forum. Its just that the topic had been done to death and there are a lot of anti shred guys here.
    To me shredding is another technique, a shredder may/may not be a good musician. Same is the case with a non-shredder.

5. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Ok .. here's muh say .. firstly I think Melody has got nothin to do with fast playin .. but Playin super fast maybe takes u in dat state of trance which many people would nJOY.. I've dropped muh jaw at times lookin at fast videos .. So even though its not melodic .. doesn't necessarily mean It doesn't give u a feel .. da feel is different .. n I guess .. There's no harm if someone has particular idols n tastes ..
    I like n prefer melodies .. but i'm not against those who rock it fast..

EDIT: Asharpminor .. relax ..i've nothin against u after readin everythin n remember one thing .. "Always do wat u like n say what u feel .. those who mind don't matter .. n those who matter don't mind"

6. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

^You seem to have missed the entire point my furry little idiosyncracy. His point was to determine who was both fast and melodic. What in the world is this about "feel"?

7. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

So I take it that Robin Ford is not popular with you all </3

Listen to him. Now.

8. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Dude dont worry bout it, you can express your views its just that if you wish to express a view which you know is gonna be opposed by just about everyone itts not sensible is it. Welcome to the forum, you're allowed to start and post in as many threads as you like but make it meaningful. Getting back to topic my vote for most melodic shred guitarist goes to Les Paul.......seriously he used to shred even when there were no colour televisions. But if want a modern player some people worth mentioning are Tony MacAlpine,Mattias Eklundh,Dweezil,Ahmet zappa,"insert name here"

Btwwho's this Robin Ford you guys mentioned. Are you talking bout Roben Ford the blues guy?

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hey, we all have been too lopsided on this thread.

Am speaking for the shredders now.
    Shredding requires accuracy n speed. Something that requires years of hard work dedicated practice.
    Using shred in playing is somthing I have seen ppl doing even in hardcore Blues.

So there is nothing bad in shred. But the shred should not look like playing a practice run of A harmonic minor. :p:

Anyway, coming to Malmsteen, taht guy was really awesome in his younger years. Taking inspiration from Ritchie Blackmore cannot be that bad, Methinks.

10. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

@bjr: I think you mean Robben Ford. Tiger Walk is an excellent album..slightly Lee Ritenour-esque. I have his instructional video..unfortunately it's not very good:-(.
    @Jocleyn-Considering you seem to know who 'Robin' Ford is so well, you don't know how his name is spelled. Please don't pretend to be a know-all about things you don't know about.
    @asharpminor-Peace. I wasn't trying to run you down or make fun of you at any point of time. Just one point: At some place you wrote "Shredding and learning how to play fast is my passion" or something like that. That is what I've been trying to say..if the point of your playing is to learn to play fast or sweep picking for the sake of it, it has nothing to do with music. It's an athletics event..like a guy training to bench press 250 kg. Technique should simply assist you in being able to play what's in your head without trouble..it shouldn't become an end in itself. But to each his own:)

11. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

well I didn't bother to read all the post .. but i could feel that da guy was bein cornered for stickin to his tastes n tryin to prove his point of malmsteen n fast guitar playin .. hence muh post ..

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hey Abhi, nothing against you or anyone.
    But I was just musing.

Whenever we start talking about "real" music, we hark back to Mozart/Bethoven/Tchaikovsky/Paganini etc and what Piano and Violin player play is absolute.

The music of that era revolved around Violin/Cellos/Pianos/Harps.
    Playing those things on a guitar is difficult.

My challenge to Violin players is to play VanHalen licks.
    AM not talking about leads.
    Licks n riffs.
    Play the intro to "Girl you got me now"

The thing is that guitar music as it stand now, is because it is easier to play that way on guitars.
    It is nothign against guitarists.

It is simlar to why sax players prefer F# or Bb keys (or is it B? F?).
    Or that Piano player prefer key of C.

The way Guitar in Blues is played, I dont think any other instrument can match.

13. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

@Abhijitnath.... You said Pat Methney can play Malmsteen in his sleep. :think: I seriously doubt that.. I dont think he can even play me in his sleep.. :p: :p: :p:
    I can bet but he has to be sleeping ....

14. ronnieanand

There you go dude. Challenge a Violin player to blow through his violin and make it sound like a flute. Challenge a flute player to use only the bow and play stuffs.
    If I put Petrol in my bike it runs for a while, but I can't put petrol in my guitar and make it run. So my bike is better than any guitar. I can eat chocolates and I enjoy it but I can't eat my guitar... So finally guitar loses and all guitarists are sore losers... Guitar sucks, Guitarists suck even more.... Guitar music is crap...

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ Well but isn't it evident when someone says that novice classical players of violin can play Paganini and novice piano players can play Tchaikovsky, which the so called "Maestros of Guitar" play, the implication is similar?

And ofcourse you do realize that it is absurd to compare two different instruments.

Ofcourse guitarists sux.

16. abhijitnath

That's actually a pretty interesting point.
    Fair enough..obviously sax/violin players can't play chords the same way you can on a guitar...but they do manage to approximate lots of rock music very easily (the umpteen shastly sounding 'Symphonic Led Zeppelin, Pink FLoyd' etc. as well as Apocalyptica...the Finnish cello quartet that plays note-for-note Metallica, Pantera etc.
    I am not a huge Western classical fan personallyand am not saying that that is the only valid technical goal. However, most instrument players there learn pieces written for everything from organ to piano to violin to flugelhorn on their respective instruments rearranged to suit their forte (the same way even the neo-classical guys refinger some parts or change the key to make it easier). That is the kind of technical expertise that is truely breathtaking imho.

17. ronnieanand

@Abhijit... What about my question.... Pat Methney can't even play me in his Sleep. :aggre: :aggre: :aggre:

18. abhijitnath

I agree..I'm sure he can't:)

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

:)
    Thankgoodness you didnt take my point on wrong note.

The thing is that once some Portugese classical guitarist toured India. (I must've been in school back then).
    He came to Delhi.

HE was interviewed, where he was asked about rock guitar etc.
    He said most of teh stuff is not exactly difficult to play, but since the style is very different, he found it difficult to master it.

He also said he has many frends as rock guitarists and just as he can "pwn" them in certain areas, they can "pwn" him others.
    (HE didnt use the words pwn, but it was similar)

Anyway, I guess the crux of what you said is right on target.
    Most of the rock/metal guitarsists ARE poorly trained (atleast in musical sense).

But isn't that an achievement of some sort?
    How many poorly trained sax/violin/piano/cello... can actaullly play well?

20. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

(1) I apoligise for the spelling mistake. I was never great at spelings and you will always find speling mistakes in all my posts. ( go ahead chaek out some of my posts).
    (2) I never considered I know Robben Ford so well .But he is a great muiscian, guitarist and composer. I know, have heard Robeen Ford because I listen to music and keep my self informed. Ok I dont know him as well as I know Ritchie Blackmore, Joe Sat (please I apoligise for the spelling mistake or abrivation), Eric Johnson, Eric Clapton ext. But I have heard of him because he plays well.
    (3) I dont pretned to be a know-all abot things I dont know about. Infact I keep away form commenting on anything I dont know. Even in my own proffesion I dont make comments/ and give suggestion to things I dont know- Infact I SAY I DONT KNOW.

Back to the Topic .. I have nothing against shred guitarist or Shred guitaring. My whole problem with the Isuse is iSPEED is over hyped. You need to play well then think of Sped. All the SPEED DEMONS are ACE GUITARIST FIRST. THEN SPEED DEMONS