Which's the greatest band ever?

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by esgallindeion, Nov 30, 2003.

?

Which band among the following do you like?

1. Iron Maiden

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Metallica (till early 90s)

14 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. Dream Theater

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Led Zeppelin

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Megadeth

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Nightwish

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. Blind Guardian

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  8. Stratovarius

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  9. Iced Earth

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  10. Black Sabbath

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  11. Children of Bodom

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  12. Dire Straits

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  13. Def Leppard

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  14. Rollind Stones

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Pink Floyd

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  16. guns n Roses

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  17. Sonata Arctica

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Gamma Ray

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Nirvana

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  20. Uriah Heep

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  21. AC/DC

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  22. Anathema

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. Amorphis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. R.E.M.

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  25. Judas Priest

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  26. The Beatles - suggested by prash

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  27. RHCP - suggested by Alli

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  28. Oasis - suggested by alli

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  29. Googoo Dolls - suggested by Alli

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  30. Coldplay - suggested by alli

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  31. Counting Crows - suggested by Alli

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  32. extreme

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  33. U2 - suggested by prash

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  34. Eagles - suggested by prash

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  35. Van Helen - Suggested by Jayanth

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

As you might guess, these are a few of my favourite bands...

EDIT : Also added bands suggested by others...

BTW, u can select more than one band.

2. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

I suppose the Beatles shouldn't be entirely left out of reckoning...
    Many still hail them to be the best band ever.

Kind of right because after listening to all the hard stuff you may sometimes like to go back to the softer ballads and simple and almost childish rock-n-roll tunes which the Beatles were a master of. And that's good music nonetheless...

But of course if this is a poll only on *your* fav bands then it's another matter.

Cheers!

3. prash_rocks

...or for that matter even U2

4. esgallindeion

Hmm... About Beatles, I have a very different opinion than most people. They have a few decent songs but I don't think they were a great band at all.

It was just that the times were such then that people desparately wanted something of that sort. With two destructive wars behind them and a cold war going on which might have led to an even worse one, people needed something to distract them and the traditional stuff like folk music and christian music didn't do much help. The Beatles took advantage of this situation and with their cheesy look they began the rock and roll tradition. Of course they have some great songs but still, this is what i feel.

5. esgallindeion

U2?? The only U2 songs I ever bother hearing are Beautiful Day and With or Without You... :think:

I prefer R.E.M., Travis, Coldplay, RHCP, Radiohead, Googoo Dolls to them.

6. prash_rocks

Well I won't argue against your valid logic behind the Beatles' grand success... neither are they my most favourite band. But all I insisted upon was that there ARE many prominent and respectable artists who will vote them the best band ever - if for nothing else, then at least for the dramatic changes they brought to the music scene since the 60s. So by virtue of their immense popularity must they be included in any vote that counts the greatest bands of all time.

But I don't agree with your views on U2. Bono isn't my favourite singer but I know he is one of the best songwriters around - one of the very few who has married politics, world affairs and satire on things vulgar and mundane so perfectly with rock. Listen to their song "One" or "The Sweetest Thing" or maybe even "Pride"and one feels the truth behind the mockery people have made of the most commonly misused word in music or elsewhere- love. And then sample the rebel's outrage when he wants to flee to the place "where the streets have no name." Well, these are not exactly tracks you'll like to listen when you're in search of great musical experience and emotion but when you want to hear really good, meaningful and relevant ideas set to their most natural medium of expression- rock music. I personally find their songs like "Stuck in a moment you can't get out of" and "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" and many others very touching.

And besides Coldplay and some of RHCP, I haven't heard much of the other bands you prefer to U2. I agree to their inclusion but not to their superiority over Bono and Co.

And what about Bon Jovi?

Well, these recommendations stand only if you intended to put up a really exhaustive poll so that people are given most of the popular choices to select their fav bands... If it was only a personal thing, of course you may trash everything I said - I'm obviously not an evangelist!

Cheers!!

7. esgallindeion

Well... Bono has a good voice. No doubt about it. But their music doesn't appeal to me personally. Personal tastes. :beer:

8. prash_rocks

On a personal note, just one thing Mr Moderator if you don't mind: I don't get what your id 'esgallindeion' means. Looks like one of the mythological characters to me though I know nobody by that name ever existed but you, so you must've made it up! :think:

9. esgallindeion

Yup...

Esgallindeion is MY elvish name. You can get urs too... there are lots of sites which give elvish names. www.barrowdowns.com is the best, imo.

10. slash

slash New Member

is it actaully safe to choose the last option....:p

11. alli

alli The Best Ever

mann.....i was the ONLY one to select the last option.... wat is wrong with this world ????????
    heh

waneways....since u've already included RHCP (thanx for knowing it be4 i tell) .. i would like to suggest "oasis" ... "coldplay" ... "counting crows"...."u2" ..."googoo dolls" .... "matchbox twenty ".......

12. alli

alli The Best Ever

esgalli......

speaking of "elves" and stuff.... u must obviously be knowing bout the "Runes" ... its the magical language used by the ppl. of tht world... and the message on the ring is written in Runic script.
    i designed this thing last yr. which was all the alphabets of the Runes put together .... it looked awesome ....i actually got the 'best design' in the annual exhibition in my class.

and i got such a kick out of it ... i called myself the "Runemeister".... which means Master of the Runes. this title was to be used only by one who had perfect knowledge of the Runes as they r mighty powerful... i have these designs of the runes en stuff... they actually have ppl. all over the world studying the language as it is said to be very very powerful and it shouldnt be used unless u have full knowledge of it .

kewl eh ??
    :nw:

13. alli

alli The Best Ever

i agree with prash on u2 and Bono.... awesome ppl. ...awesome band too.
    :rock:

14. Taj

Taj New Member

ya m8 U2 is a good band, i love the song 'with or without u'. ive pasted it's chords on the site.:rock:

15. Redalert

Redalert New Member

Taj seem to be in a posting spree....:p

16. alli

alli The Best Ever

i think its a disease ..... once u reach some where around 50 posts..u get hooked on and whack on a posting spree...

i remember i went throught it too.... yea dont say im still on it ..im NOT> :)

17. esgallindeion

Cool...

Although one of the greatest Tolkien fans around, I've never tried learning his languages etc...

18. prash_rocks

Eh, and why not are we giving even a passing look in to the Eagles?? Surely they who gave us Hotel California and Tequila Sunrise can't be such a mean act! The Eagles soar high, imo!

19. alli

alli The Best Ever

u should really get a look into it someday...its one of the most amazing things i've ever come across...
    its brilliant although very very complex...its lke trying to get a peek into an out-worldly lang. - but when u read the meanings and the solved paragraphs ... it just gets u right back in .

u can also write ur name in Runic... very awesome...and the best thing of all...
    but unfortunately not in india ...
    u can get rings made with inscriptions of either a charm or just a line on the inside of ur ring in runic... just like THE Ring.

its a whole world out there which worship this whole thing..well almost .

20. rrao

rrao New Member

for whateever Its worth

Your know guys I see Doors,Pink Floyd missing out of the list . Bu t i definitely
    think Led Zepp and Pink Floyd
    are the greatest ever.
    By the way since most of you scouting these pages are influenced by rock I'm looking for a singer for a my new band in the bay area . The person should be able to sing classic rock and should know
    fluent hindi. Mail me at raj@pdf.com

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.