Which Wood is the Richest Maple, Mahogany, Alder, Basswood

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by MetalCore, Sep 22, 2005.

1. MetalCore

MetalCore New Member

which wood is the richest ?? @ Maple , Mahogany , Alder , Basswood , and so on !! can any one tell me in an order..

* ) quilted maple top ?? what dose it means ?

2. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

which wood is the richest??
    as in like what ..which wood is the most expensive?

3. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

or do u mean in terms of tone?

4. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

hmmmmmmmmmmm......as for me .....mahogony, maple, alder n so on!...:p:

5. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Try Kashmire Willow

6. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

try mayur plywoods also ,, teek wood and also bamboo wood :grin:

7. sam_guitar

sam_guitar New Member

Try holly woood its realy expensive ,.,, and goood

8. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

hey rocking..dont joke about teak wood..:annoyed: my guitar's made of that(all Tulasi customs are BTW)..and it sounds pretty nice...plywood and bamboo??lol..

9. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Sandalwood is the richest. :)

10. MetalCore

MetalCore New Member

:D i dunt want wood to make furniture :p lol @ bamboo

by the way i was asking about which wood has greater tone and playbility..

11. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

tone is all subjective.

the only thing u can be certain off is most plywood guitars will sound crap.hehehe.

bass wood,rose wood etc have their own tonal characteristics.

12. ronnieanand

Each wood has it's own special tonal characteristics. Tell us what kind of music you play and what kind of sound you want. Maybe guys here will give you better suggestions.

13. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

Mahogany is the best as from what i have heard from different guys. (psst....i got mahogany in my guitars....he he..)

14. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

I've been part of this tonewood debate on various forums and my view is that usually, its immaterial. I'm sure you can hear the difference between two electrics unplugged or an acoustic but plugged in, there is such a huge array of pickup, construction (set-in, bolt-on), bridge, lead, amp, effects choice that you can never, on a one-to-one comparison tell the difference. Add to this micing technique, post-effects etc. Can any of you tell the difference between guitars on two U2 songs or even the same U2 song live and in the studio on different guitars? Hundreds of people fantasise about EVH tone..most early EVH is on a homemade guitar and later hes used the graphite-bodied Steinbergers. Michael Angelo and Tony Zemaitis both use aluminium in construction..a lot of the tonewood debate is about hype, especially in figured woods like quilt maple etc.

15. ronnieanand

Well wood really matters as the basic tone of the guitar is defined by that. As far as U2 is concerned Edge has a pretty bright sounding guitar, so I guess his natural choice would be some Alder bodies. I have no clue as of what gear he uses.

Anyway for guys who use high gain distortion or the if the sound is heavily processed then obviously it doesn't make much of a difference as pointed. For a Blues player, who prefer the tone of the guitar to reflect in his playing it surely matters what wood is being used. Check out guys like Jimmy Page, SRV, Blackmore, etc... You can almost instantly figure out their guitar with the sound if you didn't know them much. But the newer guitarist using very high gain like Vai or Micheal Angelo or anybody it might not make much of a difference even if they use plastic guitars. All of you would have noticed in Metallica Cunning Stunts that Hammet uses a Fibre Glass or a Plastic Guitar with that Blue Liquid.

Anyway excellent post by Abhijit.

@Abhijit, you available on Yahoo. You seem to be pretty interesting. I find your posts very interesting.

16. MetalCore

MetalCore New Member

ahan .. i was looking for bright / Fat both type of sounds .. can u categorise it ...
    and for Acoustic / Semi - Acoustic @ bright sound .. what wood to look for ?

17. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

If you get a Semi Acoustic guitar with active pickups or even passive ones you can make your guitar sounds better due to settings which you can make on amps or guitars (if it has knobs). Settings like tone, increase/decrease in bass, contour or treble etc...you get more options you see...

you can get fat/crunchy sound if you got a thin guitars like hobner 265 if you want a bright sound with more bass you have the jumbos.

Dont only go for bright/fat sound, check out its other features like fretboard, action etc...

i dunno which wood would be good for acoustic but pinewood is defenitely a no-no.

18. shak

shak Harrr!

maple, cedar (narrow grain) and spruce should give u bright tone

stay away from .. rose wood, mahagony and ebony

19. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

20. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

@sam - u missed out bollywood!......u can play real gud chance outta bolly wood these days....rock on bolly wood is growing guyz!......ok this was da last.....not more fun!:grin: