which strings

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by nandu, Oct 11, 2004.

1. nandu

nandu New Member

which strings are good for playing lead for stuff like metallica and gnr kind?
    does it also depend on the guitar make? I have a kramer focus.
    Please suggest makes & gauges.

2. actually the string gauges are totally a personal option..
    a few guitarists like Yngwie Malmsteen use lighter gauges while someone like SRV use heavier gauges...
    the sound a band gets does depend on their instruments,amplification,recording,a lot of eq ing,amp settings etc..however kirk hammett uses a lot of ESPs and slash uses a LES PAUL ..most of the time..
    i like .009s to 0.42s....
    while someone might prefer a thicker gauge...hammet uses ernie ball strings i think ..will post the exact gauge they use only when im dead sure.

3. kirk hammets-AMPS

Mesa Boogies
    • Mesa Boogie Triaxis preamp
    • Strategy 400 power amps
    • MK IV
    • Dual Rectifier
    • 4 x 12 speaker cabinets

Marshalls
    • JMP-1
    • Marshall 4 x 12" speaker cabinets
    • various practice amps

Misc
    • Custom Audio Electronics preamp
    • ADA MP-1 preamp

EFFECTS
    • Dunlop Cry-baby Wah
    • t.c. electronic M200
    • Roland VG-8
    • Ibanez Tube Screamer
    • Boss SE-50

STRINGS - Dean Markley&ernie ball slinkys

PICKS - Dunlop Tortex Green .88mm
    just copied and pasted that from a site.....should be accurate..
    slashs string gauge-Ernie Ball Nickel's, gauge 11, 14, 18, 28, 38, 48

4. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Nandu:- YOu can pick up Ernie Ball from reynolds or Rhythm Musicals.. THats the best i've seen so far..

@ Dime:- Enecylemet??

5. enecylemet???

6. jayanth

The site from whic you got the details..

7. no .......i actually google searched it and then..i stumbled upon mikesguitarsite ..somethin..i dont remember the sites name shit..that guy had some pretty cool stuff in it with good lessons with audio files ...why did i delete the cache..shit !

8. jayanth

Google search will still remember what you searched find it..

9. no..im usin safari instead of explorer and i reset it..so while doin that it deletes everytin including the google cookies.

10. jayanth

Ok.. Great.. Dont ou remeber what you searched for???

11. no...i have a very bad memory....was somethin like...kirk hammets string gauges..or somethin..

12. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

what abt acoustic...say fingerstyle..what steel strings to use??..also is it of any use to put decent imported strings on my signature acoustic????

13. nandu

nandu New Member

I am using D'Addario on my signature acoustic and the sound is pretty good compared to the local strings.

@jay - will try ernie ball extra slinky this time

14. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

thnx...one more thing...how much do they cost?...and will i get them easily in chennai..say.at musee musicals?

15. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

I play fingerstyle on my Washburn D46SCE and Fender DG25S acoustics. The strings I use are Ernie Ball Earthwood 80:20 Bronze (light). You may want to use extra light for fingerstyle if your fingers are particularly small. Costs around 450/- in Delhi. Shop around and you can get a better deal.

Raj

16. jayanth

I would not go to Musee Musicals Nebu.. Try Pro Musicals on Egmore road..

Extra Light as in Extra slinky?? Not for Fingerstyle.. Earth Wood rule.. But i changed to Pyramid Strings cause i need everything Cusotm.. LOL..

17. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

Light and Extra Light are both good for fingerstyle. Medium and Heavy gauge test your strength in fingerstyle and may cause tendonitis.

Raj

18. jayanth

No i asked whether you are talking about Extra Slinky.. Slinkys are nickel coated.. When used with Acoustic guitars will not make much sound..

19. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

Not all acoustic slinkys are Nickel wound. There are Phosphor Bronze blend slinky strings too. In fact pure Nickel strings too can be used with acoustic guitars.

Ernie Ball has put up a FAQ on their strings.

https://www.ernieball.com/faq_strings.php

Raj

20. americanindian

americanindian New Member

try the italian strings called Galli, they have a nice sharp sound and good for rock music