which scales shud one learn for rock songs

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Quadrophenia, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Quadrophenia

Quadrophenia Member

can someone please help me with scales..

which scales shud one learn for rock i've been told i shud learn my pentatonics majors and minors..

could someone tell me about Major scales? are they called Dorian or Ionian? or are they completely different..which one will come in more handy for rock?
    also what kinda scale does salman ahmed use?

2. tejas

tejas ..........

Depends on what ur playing. If you wanna play Blues rock, then u have to learn the blues scales. The blues scale has 5 forms and learning them is important if u want to play blues rock. Then, there are the major scales, which are very basic. Everyone should learn them. Then, the pentatonics, which are the most widely used scales. And probably best for what im assuming is ur kinda rock. And about major scales, i think they are Ionian, cause Minors scales are Dorians using major 6ths.

3. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Good query, will help me out as well, i'm a total dud when it comes to scales:p:

4. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Dude...im basically as much of a "quarter pounder with cheese" as u.Believe it or not i had the exact same question a few months back.
    After asking many of the "Le Big Macs" of guitar i basically came to the conclusion that it depends on your goals.
    I would advice starting with the C major scale
    Learn all the notes on the fretboard which figure in the C major scale..this will also help u learn the fretboard
    If u didnt get me heres an eg.
    say take the high e string.Now the C scale is 0-1-3-5-7-8-10-12-13-15-17-19-20
    similarly learn for the other strings.Ull find many exercises for practice on the net or make ur own exercises or even better fk them exercises...improvise..thts the best way to learn a scale,find jam tracks or make ur own jam tracks and improvise.
    Hence u know the C scale on the entire fretboard.
    Yes,I know its damn time consuming...after a whole month of work cud i say i know the G scale.
    Repeat for all scales other scales similarly.

Advantages:
    the advantage of the above method is that even though its time consuming ull get to know the scale much better than ne other way.
    Even if u wanna learn patterns,3NPS,4NPS,pentatonics u already know all the notes of the scale on the fretboard of that particular scale and thus makes life damn easier for u.

PS:forgive my Pulp Fiction argot...im too big a fan

5. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

^^dennis...nice post. thanx

6. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Thanx FR,needed some encouragement.After such a long reply and no thanx,i was begining to get dissapointed