which processor to choose under 17k

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Ibanez151289, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Ibanez151289

Ibanez151289 New Member

hi friends....
    i m really confused which processor to buy....i need heavy distortion.....plz help me out....can can one guide me about BOSS ME50 processor

2. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

boss ME 50 you can get at 7k ..used.. no need for 17k ..
    if u know wat u need.. better opt for some good analog pedals rather than a proc..
    anyways.. boss GT10 GT8, zoom 7.1ut or 9.2utt maybe good for u..

but i think u need a lot of research before u put in ur hard earned money..

3. bcrich

bcrich New Member

i prefer chaining single fx's. first, tell me what ya want from it? only heavy distortion?

4. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

5. Ibanez151289

Ibanez151289 New Member

@bcrich- its not like that...right now i have digitech RP50 processor....n i m cmng with two thoughts now...1-investing all my 17k in processor....2- making my processor budget to 12k and with the balance buy a distortion pedal....????
    now suggest me what shud i do???

@ultrabot90- kustom sound BC25

6. ultrabot90

7. Ibanez151289

Ibanez151289 New Member

thnx ultrabot thats really helped.....i think i must upgrade my amp n processor......can u guide me about roland 15 and 20 cude....which one is better????

8. ultrabot90

They're modelling amps, they're all the same, only louder ;)
    Cubes are fine for practice and casual jam...consider getting a tube amp if you're really into it. BE3 makes some great handmade ones within our reach, Laney Cub series and Vox AC4 series are decent production line stuff (you will probably need a pedal to push it into 'metal territory', though)

9. bcrich

bcrich New Member

its cube not cude. they're pretty good.

10. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

hey guys.. one off topic query.. what all should i look into a tube amp if i'm buying an used one?
    i have no experience with the tube amps.. how can i make sure that its in good condition and really worth my cash..

What all should i check..

11. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Play it.

If it sounds like the tubes are nearing the end of their life you can always replace them. Other than that try it out more or less the same way you would try out a normal amp. Check for scratchy pots, sudden volume swells/drops, integrity of the jacks and electronics (and if possible, the speaker), overheating, grounding, etc.

12. bcrich

bcrich New Member

what are you purchasing?

13. dur neel

dur neel New Member

hey
    how about u?

14. dur neel

dur neel New Member

any one can tell me how can i download free karaoke track

15. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

@thehundredthone: thanks for your reply. IMO overheating will happen only after prolonged use and how to check the grounding?
    @bcrich: tube amp..

and that my 666th post ... the number of the beast !!!

16. flood

flood New Member

what amp are you buying?

check for pops and cracks while playing. also for any strange motorboating sounds. both are signs of bad filter capacitors in the power supply. these can be replaced though, and usually do need to be replaced after 10-20 years.

a very obvious check is whether there is any smoke (!) coming from the amp, which means that the amp has a bigger problem and should not be bought unless you're skilled enough to repair it yourself.

other than that, there isn't much. grounding is usually not an issue within the amp, a lot more depends on how your mains is grounded. if you REALLY want to be sure about the grounding WITHIN the amp, here is a simple test:

1. set your digital multimeter to continuity test
    2. put one lead on the earthing pin on the power cable, the other lead on any exposed part of metal chassis of the amp, or perhaps the outer part of the input jack. it should beep.
    3. to be even more anal, set to ohms measurement and measure the resistance of the ground between those points. you should get a maximum of 0.3 ohms (note: to get this reading, you will need a good, expensive multimeter like a fluke or something - cheaper multimeters are very inaccurate when things go less than 10 ohms or so).

other than that, can't really think of anything. make sure the speaker is plugged in or attached before starting the amp.

17. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

The amp decision really depends on your needs. If you are a live player in india, its worth putting all that money into the processor. If you are just a hobbyist who just needs a heavy distortion to play metal, there is no point in going for a processor. You wouldn't tap the full potential of the unit. A processor is all about the multiple effects. If you want to get anything remotely close to a rage of the machines sound - in other words you like to play around with tones - you have to go for a processor.

Like i said if you just need a clean and dirty tone to play metallica you dont need the multitudes of effects on a proc, you can just buy an amp and a few pedals.

18. bcrich

bcrich New Member

thats not my answer. i meant which tube amp?