Which practice amp is the best?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Asmodeus, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Choose from the ones below:

1. Marshall MG10 or MG15
    2. Laney Hardcore Series 10W or 15W
    3. Samick AG 15
    4. Stranger Cube 20

My guitar: I dunno the brand name, as I've told many of you.. it's got dual humbuckers, and quite an ok tone.

WHat I'm looking for: A Maiden-ish tone, coupled with a good clean.

2. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Marshall among the choices. I use Randall myself, but whatever, you play around with the settings enough you'll find your sweet tone.

3. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Marshall is really good. I checked out the Laney once and I was impressed. Didn't play it long enough to tell you about it. But Marshall is good and has a great sounding overdrive too.

4. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

The Laney clean sound is really impressive (very reminiscent of Opeth). I am not a fan of the Marshall MG series. I find the distortion quite horrible. Not familiar with the other 2 you mentioned.

5. ronnieanand

I was saying the same thing till I learnt how to use it. The overdrive in Marshall is pretty Pro Sounding that you can use it straight for a professional recording if you know how to use it. I find it better than the Roland Cube's distortion. I am sure you wont agree to this. Marshall's overdrive is tremendously organic and responsive. The semi cleans can really kill. It's way better than my Keeley Modded Boss BD2.

6. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

What settings do you use?

7. ronnieanand

What do you mean by that. There's only one mode of Distortion in it. If you mean the EQ, I dont remember. But cut the mids a bit bcos it's basically a middy amp. Semi Cleans are killers though.

8. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Yeah meant the contour, volume, gain, EQ levels etc that you use for nice OD.

9. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

more power to you:rock: :rock: :rule:

10. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

ya,Marshall is good but i wud suggest to go along with laney..
    And Y??? i dunno...jus ma instincts...