Which pickups???

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by drifter1375, Jan 16, 2007.

1. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

@jocelyn : As far as i know u can play anything on a JB and it will sound good. I havent had much time with a JB maybe 20 mins or something....it was AMAZING

2. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

True Laney Maney... I am glad you loved it..I too love it and agree with what you say " you can play anything".. you just needd to use the Vol control and you can dial in a lot . Roll back the tone and u get SWEET tones.. But not every one likes it.. I am also speking with my little experence in the Duncan forum.. LANEY if you want to get a Duncan in the furure.. I do suggest visiting the Duncan forum.. belive me it helps a lot... You got lots of very knowledgeable guys out there.

3. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Another thing Laney .. Whihc guitar did you try the JB in? I have been told the JB works best in SUPER STRAT styled guitars..Body wood plays a huge role when using a JB.

4. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

i tried it on someones modded Fat Strat

5. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I love JB but my preference will still go to DiMarzio PAF Pro......Has a lot more warmth to it......Solid Mids.....JB is awesome too.......I am totally going Gaga over my current practise setup.....I want to take this setup to a gig sometime.....

Parker (JB+Jazz) -> Dunlop GCB95F Wah -> Rocktron Silver Dragon -> Korg AX1500G (Clean Effects) -> Amp........

This sounds totally dreamy.......I was learning Always With You, Always With Me......I somehow liked this tone more than what Satch had........This was much warmer and personal........Just my opinion......Dont flame me now for this........

6. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

FAT STRAT ....Thats the reason Why I asked... I have been told and advised it sounds best in FAT STRATs and Super Strats.... prefebly (SUPRISE SUPRISE) in an Alder body with rossewood fretboard. For LPs it does not sound all that great. I read that you wanted to install one on a LP.. P.M me if you want to know more.. :)

7. ronnieanand

For LPs it would be a good choice too.........The LP has a naturally darker and muddy tone....A bright pickup will clear up that mud and give a full bodied tone.....JB will be a good contrast with its shining highs on a guitar with a lot of low end......

For Alder + Rosewood + Bolt on / in, is already a bright combination and JBs might just enter the territory of becoming to sound harsh.......Or you should go for a 250K kinda volume Pot to cut off some high end...........

8. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

@ Ronnie thats what I thought all along... But guys in the Duncan Forum ( and HARDCORE SEASONED GUYS) who have tried the JB in various guitars say It works best in an ALDER body.. (Alder is not bright actualy it is quite even toned). Infact some guys who Hate the JB and say it sounds Bright actualy LOVE it in (surprise again)MAPLE BODY GUITAR. I know I too was shoked. when I first read it. But the Krammer guitars of the 80's which had the JBs were MAPLE BODY.
    In LPs the same guys recomend CUSTOM -59 combo.
    I am just speaking out what advice I have been given, and what I see among DUncan users... Also Mr. Duncan himself users a JB-JAZZ in an ASH guitar with MAPLE neck and maple fretboard... And what abouth the TELE GIB that he built for Jeff Beck (the very first guitar that had the JB-JAZZ combo) that was made of SWAMP ASH.
    ALder gets it bright toned reputaion becasue it is normaly associated with single coil pickups..

9. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

what do u guys think about 2 EMGs on a Mahogony body?......can i play softer stuff with 2 emg 81s?

10. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

No experence with EMGS....

11. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

In my experience with active pickups you can play softer stuff but no doubt you will notice the gain even with mild overdrive. So you'll probably have to adjust your patches to have less gain.

12. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

thanks....i guess ill just go for a JB and a Jazz

13. ronnieanand

Dude.....Come home.....Listen to JB / Jazz combo and a DiMarzio Norton / PAF Pro Combo.....You will get clear idea of the differences between them...Play through them for 5 minutes will give you more idea than 100 days of discussing in a forum......

14. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

:) will come over this 'kend if its alright with you. PM ur address and ill ask my mom.