Which pickups???

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by drifter1375, Jan 16, 2007.

1. drifter1375

drifter1375 New Member

hey ppl. jus joined this site. i was thinkin bout changin the pickups on my 4 year-old Tansen. i mostly play stuff like Purple, Van Halen, Rush etc, with a lil of DT thrown in. wat would the ideal pickup config be?

2. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Quite honestly, you won't get very close to any of those tones with a Tansen..I used to have one too:eek::
    But pickups that could get you close are DiMarzio PAF Pros, Vintage PAFs, Air Nortons, Tone Zones, etc.

3. drifter1375

drifter1375 New Member

will the PAFs work well for both rhythm and lead?

4. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Check out Seymour Duncan JBs....loved worldwide... :) and its got a super tone

5. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Go for a DiMarzio PAF Pro. It's very warm, smooth and also very versatail....I wont suggest a JB unless you play some Metal....I use both JB and DiMarzio PAF Pro and I love the PAF Pro by far.....DiMarzio Norton is another killer.....

6. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Yes, the JB is a little harsher than the PAFs..also less versatile. You can use the PAF Pros for both lead and rhythm quite comfortably.

7. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

How are the PAF's when compared to the SD 59's ???

8. ronnieanand

I dont know about '59 but I have a Jazz. It's warm and very clear. For neck Jazz and '59 are cool. PAF Pro is a little muddy for the neck pickup but I still love it as a neck pickup, the way I use it. PAF Pro is really awesome. You should play one to love it.......If you come to Bangalore, I can give you a demo......

9. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

^ may i have a demo of the JB and Jazz in action please.....im planning on getting a LP loaded with those...

10. ronnieanand

My Parker is loaded with JB and Jazz.....If you can drop in at my place sometime, you can listen to it....The Parker has a Mahagony Body and 2 H-H configuration with a Tune-o-Matic bridge just like an LP......So you can get a decent idea of how your LP might sound.....

11. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

OMFG......OMFG.....OMFG.....OMFG.....OMFG....Parker???? where do u live dude? im coming now :)

12. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

^hehehehehe Thats the Great Ronnie called BABA by me !!

13. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

How dare u call him BABA ... He is the karate uncle !!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer:
    OR the Hippi Hendrix ............

14. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

All Hail Ronnie

15. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

HEHEHEHE Karate Uncle :grin:

16. ronnieanand

:think: :think:.............

17. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

when can i come dude? im dying to see ur parker...

18. ronnieanand

You can come over this weekend.....

19. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I wopuld not recomend a JB for what you have asked..a duncan 59 set would work well. Also a Duncan CUSTOM CUSTOM and ALNICO II pro would work well... By the way I would consider guitar wood here too.. For Purple you would want single coils...
    @ Laney Maney.... dont keep suggesting the JB to every one.. belive me it is not everyoN will work well for you . aAnd it is Versatile.nes Cup of Tea... It is a great pickup.. But you need to look into what you want to play too.. For "EARLY" VAN HALLEN (ERUPTION ERA) and Rush defintly not JB .. but a 59 will be swell. DUNCAN CUSTOM CUSTOM is Great for Van halen too.
    @ dvil you ..looking at your Avtar and your Tulsi I can see you r a DimeBAg fan... The

20. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

cool where u located?