which pickups should i get

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ajaykalekar, May 26, 2005.

1. ajaykalekar

ajaykalekar New Member

Hi Guys,

I have a Epi les paul standard with stock pickups.

I want to replace those with some better ones so my sustain , tone etc will sound a little better. I am not into heavy metal (otherwise whatever music is fine by me).

Please advise me what pickups i should go for and if anyone has any experience with those pickups on a epi les paul.

Thanks,
    Ajay

2. shak

shak Harrr!

what sort of music do u play???
    go for PAF's ... they are good for both blues and basic rock.
    go for ceramics .... if you want more punch and heavy bottom
    go for p90's ... if u want that nostalgic sound
    otherwise fred, norton, pearlygates, duncan custom etc ... there are loads ... see what suites u the most.

3. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Since you play Metal and have a Les Paul, get a EMG Zakk Wylde set. (81 + 85).

4. shak

shak Harrr!

^ i think he said i am not into heavy metal ....
    anyways ... for metal .. nothin beats the emg active pups. (by the way the zw set is 179 pounds ... you can get a whole new ibanze for that money!! ... its a rip off to be honest)

5. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

PAFs = :nw:

6. ronnieanand

Sorry man. Read it wrongly. Go for PAF or PAF Pro.

7. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

or get the EMG HZ series....like the 81/85s but passive...not bad sounding at all...or get overwound Alnicos...I know someone who gets them hand made :)

8. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

For general Rock = Seymour ducan Jazz(neck) and JB(brigde)
    Its a very popular set that can play many styles. When i get a humbuckered guitar im definately gonna get those!

Softer rock and blues = Gibson 57 classics, or any PAF copy

9. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

I personally hate EMGactives. SO FREAKIN OVERRATED. A better option would be Diamrzio X2N.. These babies make the EMG sound like kittens. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE

10. chintan9

For rock go for the PAF PRO. Sweeet!

11. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

i hate pick ups for accoustic but i need them for playing in my school cultural festivals and so on.so i had to go for an ordinary Emip something pick up for starters.other wise i love the pickups on an les paul special edition!

12. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

I think X2N is not the style of pickup he is looking for......

13. chintan9

I have posted after that^^^^^^^^

14. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

Didnt see that one chintan9

Anyways try this

May help.

15. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

I agree with Chintan - the Actives are over-rated (millions of dollars to Zakk) and PAF Pros are definitely the way to go...I have the Actives (they are great) but not worth buying new...I bought used for $90 for the pair of 81/85...but then again ...I always buy used....am environment friendly....

h4f0n's suggestion is also a good option...what's your budget though?

16. ronnieanand

DiMarzio X2N are severely high output pickup. If the person is not into Metal, he might not enjoy. Most guys not into Metal would enjoy a clear warm tone. PAF Pro are defenitely better in that case. Other things you could try are Fred, Air Norton, etc.. Or best of all try the Rio Grande Texas BBQ and BBQ set. Really nice ones with lot of clarity and great warmth. I will ordering these soon.

17. chintan9

i agree^^^^^^^^^
    Thats why i posted that paf pros are better for rock - read carefully

18. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Seems like you own the X2N pups. Any idea whats the resistance on them in Ks and the voltage in mV?

Have you played the EMG 81/85 set?

19. chintan9

i have never owned an X2N(i wish i did) but Ive played on an Ibanez Rg470 with the X2N in the bridge. And they kick ass! .
    The other guitarist in my band has the emgs so i know how they sound. SUPER TREBLY!

If u wanna know bout the resistance and voltage just visit the dimarzio site.

20. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

I can visit the site my friend (thanks for the advice) - but I always buy stuff after measuring the impedance with my own multimeter or if someone measures it on their unit....