Which PICK is the best?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by piyushsood2312, Oct 24, 2012.

1. wylder

wylder Member

I guess it works both ways... You get cheap stuff, you develop poor technique and can't progress quick enough to sustain your interest, hence give up on it.

The key is to make yourself believe that you have the best instrument and believe that with enough practice you can play anything your idol has played. Its tough at first but once you start conquering those heights you once deemed impossible, you start believing in yourself...

So that's why its important to buy a quality instrument.

The save money thing definitely does not work because you end up not getting anywhere with the instrument. Also, due to the poor quality, (if it doesn't break down in a short while) you can't even sell it used for a decent price.

Worse still, it encourages companies to start making cheaper instruments and stores too stock only the cheap stuff in response to the market demand.

2. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

I say buy midrange stuff, not too cheap not too expensive, they should play good, some of the better squire guitars i have tried play well. But the givson crap you get dont even stay in tune properly. Buy stuff that is hassle free for a beginner. True most guitars if worked on properly give amazing results but most beginners have no idea what is good, what is bad. And there are some guitars that play well even among the givsons and other lower end ones but these are the exception rather than the rule and beginners dont know how to find a good guitar in first place. Also these midrange instruments can later be sold when the person loses interes or cannot devote time. So ultimately the loss is the same, either buy cheap a 10-12k guitar then throw it away or sell it for 2-3k or buy a 20-25k guitar and sell for 17-18k the difference is almost the same. AS for the amp it depends a lot on the style of music and the intended volume level. For low gain applications there are lots of options there are even some tube amps in the 15-25k range and these can again be sold. Or there are these superb modelers that give great VFM like the peavey vypyr, mustang etc these can do almost every genre of music appreciably well. So in my opinion a good starting budget would be 35k. 20k for the guitar 15k for the amp. And i think most people who quit, quit within six months so they can sell the stuff for around 10k price difference. Another golden advice for beginners is buying used, buying used can fetch you some great guitars at a price you can afford.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I think that line of thinking is seriously over rated - perhaps because of Internet forums.
    I have seen quite a few of performing musicians using nothing more than GiVson guitars and Zoom 505 with Stranger.
    and these guys have the skills!

Most of them perhaps have other commitments in life and hence cannot splurge on gear.
    I think that proves a point that cheap equipment has no relation to poor technique.

I still go back to my first Givson (bought 10 years back), and really speaking, except the low quality low output noisy pickups, the guitar as such is pretty fine. No reasons for me to claim that I am not able to play properly just because I started out on Givson and Marshall MG10.
    (I cannot play properly because I have low patience, low intelligence, and low abilities and capabilities)

Also I am curious to know how a cheap equipment develops poor technique ...