Which one should i opt for??? An electric guitar or a Bass ??

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by karan.different, Jul 19, 2012.

1. karan.different

karan.different New Member

Hey, I've been playing coustic for nearly 2-3 years..Now, i want to buy either an electric or a bass..I'm confused which one to buy..
    I've heard that ders always a demand for bass guitarists..I've heard that bass isnt too hard if u've learned basics like power chords & ol from acoustics...so, what do u suggest??
    Which one should i opt..?

2. tirtha2chester

tirtha2chester New Member

Learning up bass guitar barely takes a couple of weeks... Unless you wanna be good at it...

People rarely pick up playing bass out of choice..
    Either two of the following things happen: Most new bands don't find bassists so manage a bass guitar and teach a friend which notes to play. Sometimes they ask an amateur to play the bass for them in concerts or full time.. That's mostly the case...

Any guitarist can adapt to a bass guitar IMO, however, it takes time to become somebody like Cliff Burton, John Myung, Les Claypool or Flea....

Other than that its your choice how you wanna proceed..

3. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Dude pick up a bass guitar!!! There is shortage of Bass Players everywhere!!! :p

4. fena

fena New Member

it depends; the only answer to your question is, "play what you want to play". if you can't make up your mind yet, then don't rush into it..take some time and browse the internet, read articles about each instrument and watch youtube videos, etc also you can try borrowing and feeling both the instruments out. this will help you lots in coming to a decision.
    After sometime, either one will get the better of you, only then, you should invest in it. ( there can be a case "i like this one, but i think the other instrument is cooler"..if so, buy the one you like, you wont regret it).
    it is true bass is "easier" to learn especially if you have basic guitar and contemporary music experience, but that's only at the absolute beginning; it gets increasingly hard as you progress.. its much like learning chess; easy to learn basic moves, but takes years to master! but then again, having been playing these instruments plus drums and percussions for some time now, i can strongly state that
    ANY INSTRUMENT IS ONLY AS HARD/CHALLENGING AS YOU MAKE IT
    also, if you're in Bangalore, i may be able to give you some beginner->intermediate lessons!
    Paid classes of course!!! i need to raise money for a decent acoustic guitar :D (incase you're wondering, i'm not a guitarist who knows how to play bass, I'm a bassist who also plays guitars; there's a big difference in that, so just pm me eh? lol :) )

5. karan.different

karan.different New Member

@fena : thanks for the info ..Btw, I'm from delhi...can you suggest me a decent bass wid minimum investment.... ??

6. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Check on FB "AM Used Musical Instrument". Someones selling his bass for 8K. No Idea what brand and condition. But check if you want!!!

7. fena

fena New Member

it depends mainly on how much you are willing to spend, what type of music you play, and what type of tone you like which is largely defined by the type of pickups employed...
    there are many manny different pickups from different manufacturers and brands but ALL OF THEM revolve around the three types of designs, three type of sounds.. 1) Single Coil (aka Jazz pickup) .2) Split Coil (aka P pickup). 3) Double Coil (aka Humbuckers).
    just do a youtube search for "Fender Jazz Bass demo video", "Fender P bass demo video", "Musicman Stingray demo video" for each type of pickups respectively, make sure the video is good quality! these are the legendary bass guitars which all modern day basses are inspired by, but they are high-end, so don't think about buying them yet, well unless your pockets are loaded; i suggested them purely for your research :).. i'm not gonna try and explain the sound of these pickups here, coz google will do a better job than me. you'll have a better understanding of bass tone from here
    again... Google, research over and over again..read customer reviews etc etc :)
    now, you said minimum money, so i'm gonna go ahead and assume you are at the 15k range.
    if so, you have the Yamaha RBX170, Ibanez GSR200 and Cort's Action basses sharing the limelight!
    there are other brands too, go to a music store and try some of them out. don't care for java, gb&a stuffs if you can afford it, not to mention givson!! a big No!
    if you are also gonna buy a bass amp, 60w minimum!