which major acts have you seen

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by SqueakM9, Jul 3, 2008.

1. SqueakM9

SqueakM9 mumble

this is easy list the acts you have seen and if more than one of us has seen the same act compare thoughts on it.

major acts:
    Metallica
    Kiss
    R.H.C.P.
    Alice Cooper
    Rammstein
    Opeth
    Blink 182
    Green Day
    Robbie Williams
    Pink
    The Corrs
    The Police
    Eric Clapton
    Elton John
    David Bowie
    Bon Jovi
    lesser acts but no less important
    Steve Vai (G3)
    Paul Gilbert
    Shihad

ok this list is getting way to long...
    anyone else???

maybe even put acts you would like to see

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

In order of favourites-

1.) John McLaughlin
    2.) Herbie Hancock
    3.) Joe Satriani
    4.) Wayne Shorter

3. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

strings(lol...........wen dey came to delhi lyk 8yrs back or sumthing)
    akon
    Aurora Jane.

hell!! nobody eva comes to Delhi..............

4. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

I haven't even gone to one :(
    I was going to go to bangalore for megadeth but then we suddenly postponed our exams to 2 hours before the concert. Shucks.

5. augur

augur I love bjr

Bastard. Where did you see him?

I have seen Remember Shakti, Zakir Hussain, Roger Waters, Mark Knopfler

6. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

well, I was just being an arse and not saying Remember Shakti. I saw him with Remember Shakti too...he came to calcutta in 2006 (I think).

I also played a guitar that he used on stage. I got people to shake my hand for weeks after that. It was crazy ass....it had two high strings after the lows and plus a lot of strings like the sitar that give you the root (i forget the technical term for it).

and the next person who calls Paul Gilbert a lesser act gets skinned.

7. augur

augur I love bjr

You're a even bigger bastard for this. I got the new cd.. Floating point. Not too impressed.

8. SqueakM9

SqueakM9 mumble

well he is a lesser act...
    (my ratings were on international combined record sales)
    but im not getting into a debate over how to rate acts...
    personally he is my all time fav guitarest
    and if i ever got a chance to play one of his guitars i think i would be to scared to touch it...

9. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

hah, yes! sympathetic strings.

It's a complicated story.

When Remember Shakti played in Cal, they invited Debashis Bhattacharya to play with them. Debashis is supposed to be the best slide guitarist in the world and a good friend of John's who stayed with him while he was in Calcutta. A friend of mine from guitar class also learns from Debashis Bhattacharya and since my guitar teacher(Amyt Dutta) is a huge McLaughlin worshipper and one of the bigger names in rock music in India, my friend managed to persuade his teacher to let him take the guitar to show to Amyt sir.

I've always wondered...are their album recordings one shot?

You kinda already did by rating him. Anyway, my point was that it'd be a lot better not to rate if you're going to go by record sales.

10. CARLOS SANTANA

CARLOS SANTANA New Member

i've seen bruce sprinsteen and rahat fateh ali khan at triveni auditorium@2005
    and beyonce at mumbai

11. augur

augur I love bjr

I really doubt it. I have the "making of" dvd which came alongwith it. I'll watch it one of these days.

12. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

do it. and tell me. I saw a snippet of a making of dvd of theirs....I wonder if it was the same. In that one, Zakir calls John his musical soulmate or something to that effect.

13. augur

augur I love bjr

Zakir Hussain is awesome. I've never seen anyone have that much fun on stage.

14. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

hah, in the calcutta show there was this point in a jugalbandi with John where he was making jaws drop and this guy in the audience shouted out aloud "Wah, Ustaad WAH" Taj Mahal chai ad style and he stopped, took a bow the way he does in the ad without adding the corny line and then continued without missing a beat.

I think we stole this thread.

15. augur

augur I love bjr

When he plays he reminds me of a 6 year old kid. A 6 year old with fcking talent.

16. SqueakM9

SqueakM9 mumble

shit i forgot Within Temptation, Gunners, Ozzy, poison, europe, white snake, and a personal fav. Kiwi act the Warratahs

17. angel_of_sin

u can call me an ignorant fool........bt i hve neva heard of John McLaughlin.........what has he gotta do wid Zakhir Hussain??

18. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

That's nothing to be ashamed of. Just make sure you check him out though and see if you like what you hear. I'd reccomend starting off with the 60s.

sorry, I'm lying. You need to shoot yourself. Now.

19. angel_of_sin

yea well......thanx for giving me a complex...........
    newayz i searched for him on ares all i could find was a song wid mahavishnu orchestra or sumthing..........

20. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

well, that's as good a start as any...he was with them in the 60s afaik.