Which LCD Monitor to buy?

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by lord_neo, Feb 25, 2005.

1. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Ok guys i need help buying a new 17 inch lcd monitor, which one should i go for?

2. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

LG i guess, im using it at office.. its cool

3. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

There are a few things to look for in an LCD monitor.

1) The obvious: Resolution and size. Since your going for a 17" monitor most displays will have a native resolution of 1280 x 1024 which is acceptable.

2) Contrast: Contrast is usually depicted as a ratio (e.g. 500:1). The higher the ratio the better.

3) Luminance: Brightness depicted as cd/m(squared) should be as high as possible.

4) Vertical viewing angle: It should be as wide as possible (ideally should be greater than or equal to 120 degrees).

5) Response time: Refers to how quickly an LCD can refresh a pixel on the screen. Typically ranges between 12ms and 25ms. The lower the response time, the better.

6) DEAD PIXELS!!!: This is absolutely a must-check before buying an LCD. Fixing a dead pixel is impossible and so you must avoid them when you buy the monitor. The best way is to apply a bright white wallpaper and check for black dots on the screen.

After checking all that here is Tom's Hardware Guide's comparison of LCD monitors as of November 2004, so it's slightly out of date but these models would be common in India now I presume.

https://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20041123/index.html

Hope that helps.

rizaaj and (deleted member) like this.
  4. nadish

nadish Active Member

I'm using ViewSonic LCD Monitor. I think its best (Coz I haven't used ne other make :) )

5. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

@Rizaaj, LG and Samsung are the most famous among LCD monitors in India.

@DMF, Thats quite an informative post. I will check all those things out especially the dead pixel part. (Good Reps)

@Nadish, I have heard of Viewsonic but never seen its monitors yet, will check them out too.

6. mani_rawalpindi

mani_rawalpindi GUNS AND GUITARS

hey PHILLIPS one r best in my opinion do add them to your check out list too

7. Sanjay Mazumder

Sanjay Mazumder ~..::MASTERMIND::..~

Samsung............ I think so.

8. rockin'away

rockin'away Banned

well i just got a computer and i got a packard bell 19" the graphics are great! It best u ask someone at a shop.