which is the best Indian rock-band ?

Discussion in 'IGT Soundtrack - Your Band, Your Gig, Your Music' started by apratim.mitra, Jan 27, 2005.

1. apratim.mitra

apratim.mitra You can call me apro

hi folks

about a year from now I had no question in my mind as to the best rock band in India. Having seen Parikrama perform in IIT Kharagpur in 2003 I was of the opinion that they were definitely the best around ... however after watching their perfromance over here in Spring Fest 2005 and simultaneously having seen Zero , I am having serious doubts ...

so guys please enlighten me on this point ... mentioning the band name and why you think it is the best around ...

:rock:

2. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

i ve been a die hard parikrama fan when it comes to indian rock !!!

dun know as of now !

3. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

I havent been to ne of their shows or nething. but like, I really find Motherjane's music way too nice...

www.motherjaneindia.com

MOTHERJANE - Mind Street - This song rules...

Nice lyrics, nice music... I really wanna see them live

4. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

Haven't heard any of parikrama off late...is the nepali lead guitarist (forgot his name) still there...cause he rocks bigtime !!

5. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

i'm a parikrama fan.
    haven't heard zero yet...

6. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

thanx for the link asmodeus.

7. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

The Parikrama guy is called Sonam Sherpa i think....havent heard them recently..
    I remember they always play Saare jahaan se accha in their concerts and in between sherpa would do some crazy antics.....
    Mother Jane was really nice ..we had them performing last year..Moksha is good too....

8. apratim.mitra

we had Parikrama this year for our fest ... but their song list and variations were very similar to what they performed the last time they had come here ... and they haven't come up with any other originals recently ...

and Moksha we had last year ... and although they were really good their song selection really wasn't appreciated by the crowd ... and their stage presence too left a lot to be desired ...

motherjane for me is a new name ... gotta check them out ...

9. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

ya u are right Apro..the Moksha frontman Leon is kinda serious and stuff..doesnt
    go out of his way to involve the crowd..all members jus do their stuff...no big act and attitude...while some bands have only got the attitude to show(and no music:p:)...a bit of energy and exuberence is necessary too.....

10. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Yeah... u definitely need to chill with the crowds... like PDV (Pin Dop Violence) - They're too amazing live.... I dunn like the nu-age metal and ****... but like, at the gig, I did enjoy myself moshing to InDependence, Absurd and the likes...

11. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Ya i forgot ..we had PDV too last year(along with Motherjane...we have 2 bands for the rock show from the last 2 years)....I too dun follow that kinda stuff...but it was enjoyable..a bands energy is pretty infectious....hey have u heard Medicis?they won the semi-pro band competition here last year.....its a band from Pondicherry....very LP kinda sound...gr8 energy

12. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Yeah.. Ive heard Medicis... pretty ohk.. tho I didnt figure the LP sound??? THe song I heard was ohkish metal... nutin Alt.

BTW, People, heard of XENON ???? They're like one of the top Iron Maiden cover bands of all time in India... they've got good talent and pretty nice og's as well... tho nothing, nothing can equal their Maiden Tributes... they totally rock!

www.xxxenon.com

13. apratim.mitra

Some bands which came to our college for our rock show were pretty cool ... notably the ones from Darjeeling ... namely Yellow Hammer, Bajra, Mary Jane, ... an act from Kolkata who called themselves the Hobos were also pretty cool ... last two years we had an awesome band hailing from Darjeeling called Karnage ... pretty tight with some awesome talent on the guitars, drums and bass ... heard they have broken up though ...

look out for some of these names on the professional circuit in the near future ... :rock:

14. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Ohk... people, for the Indian Death Metal scene, lissen to Demonic Resurrection and Exhumation - nice bands... nice music

15. tejas

tejas ..........

Demonic Resurrection, our very own Sahil's band, is probably the best. I also like Bhayanak Maut and Zero.

16. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

i heard of this Demonic Resurrection, i use to talk to the drummer/vocalist online on msn, they had some CRAZZZZY stuff, i loved the Cryptopsy vibe and influence. Anyone have the link to their site? i lost it.

17. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

ive seen parikrama,zero,pdv,motherjane,themclones,bhayanak maut,prestorika,medicis and many more but I must that Zero impressed me way more than any of the others.
    They play originals and their originals sounded better than songs covered by other bands.
    At the 8th Gir in Delhi, they were the last band . They only played originals and still at the end of the show the crowd was asking for more..couldnt ask for a more definitive proof. i especially like Chirstmas in July

18. apratim.mitra

yeah i'd have to agree ... Zero were the judges of our rock competition at this year's Spring Fest and due to some inevitable delays they could come on to perform only at around 11.30 pm ... that was way past the time that is officially allowed by the institute and yet the crowd were left asking for more ...

i think the definitive element in their music is the innate simplicity ... both in the lyrics and the melodies ... both of which in my opinion are essential in making a tune memorable ...

zero rock :rock:

19. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Yeah... totallly... I now have the Hook EP... and am currently lissening to it... nice arrangements... totally rock... I like...

20. apratim.mitra

neone heard of Strange Brew ... they had come to our college last year as judges of the rock competition Wildfire ... the one that Zero judged this year ...
    they were more of a jazz band with all the band members appearing to be seasoned pros and multi-talented if i may add ... haven't heard too much of them on the professional circuit though ...