which is the best classic rock band?

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by dmcdjjack, Feb 2, 2005.

1. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

lynyrd skynyrd
    doors
    fleetwood mac (does no one like FM here)
    queen (is it classic? i dunno)
    grateful dead

2. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

Definition of Classic Rock (or my version of it)

A form of rock music influenced heavily by the Blues. One can say that classic rock is a blues driven rock. So just like the blues this can come in a very hard flavour (Aerosmith) to a very mild flavour (Allman Brothers) and others in between (Creedance Clearwater Revival). Furthermore classic rock also represents the time period during which the electric guitar became a mainstay in rock music. It is the time period when Bob Dylan brought the electric guitar to folk and country rock to give you numerous great bands (Lynyrd Skynyrd,Eagles), of which some of them also took to heart the blues influences (ZZ Top). Further to this the introduction of the Blues to the British culture in the sixties heralded an unbelivable number of very talented and succesful artists which spanned the years between 1960-1980 which led to the famous coined term the British Invasion (Eric Clapton, Cream, Pete Townshend, Rory Gallagher, Jeff Beck, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Dire Straits). This invasion into America was met with some extreme local talent such as the pre-mentioned bands but also one other (Jimi Hendrix).

What classic rock is NOT imho is glam rock, early forms of metal which imo Black Sabbath falls into or bands that STARTED OUT in the 80s. That 80s genre is its own. That is the Genre where Guns N Roses, AC/DC, Clash, *** Pistols, Ramones, Bon Jovi, The Police, U2 etc fall into. You see they were the next evolution from the plain blues influenced rock it wasn't the same thing. Classic Rock means a true blues edged rock song that sounds as if its straight out of 1960-1980. Glam Rock is not this by ANY stretch of ANY imagination!

Therefore to answer the question of which are the top classic rock acts: (in no particular order)
    Cream
    Eric Clapton
    Yardbirds
    Jimi Hendrix
    Jeff Beck
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    Rolling Stones
    Beatles
    ZZ Top
    Bob Dylan
    Allman Brothers
    Eagles
    Dire Straits
    Pete Townshend
    Aerosmith
    Creedace Clearwater Revival
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Steppenwolf
    Doors
    Fleetwood Mac

in regards to Queen they are defenitely in the classic rock category their sound and edge is from that classic blues driven rock genre.

if there is a grey area which ever existed it would be Black Sabbath. I personally wouldn't call them a classic rock band even though they were formed back in 1967. Instead i would regard them as a very early heavy metal band. And to me that means Sabbath falls into metal.

The problem with "metal" is that it is a very wide field of music. Much like the term of "classic rock", and reviewing Sabbath from my defenition of classic rock it is more and more obvious that they belong in the metal category and not classic rock which is mainly from country/folk rock and blues driven rock.

3. abhay_saxena

abhay_saxena Lord of the strings

i would think led zep, europe, ACDC , deep purple ..

4. thecoolone

thecoolone Judas Priest My Guide

wow !! i cannot believe that no one has mentioned RUSH !!!

as for me the best classic rock bands are
    Led Zep
    Rush
    AC-DC
    Aerosmith
    Europe
    Van HAlen
    GNR
    Deep Purple
    Dire Straits

5. guns n roses

guns n roses Pro Guitarist

AC/DC, creedence clear water is an awesome band.

AC/DC

AC/DC

AC/DC

Gn'R is not a classic band....they're just loud fast and outta control rock.

6. jameshedfield

jameshedfield New Member

gnr rulz they rock

7. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Dire Straits

8. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Iron Maiden is not classic rock.

9. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

dude! of course they r classic rock.. so is acdc
    ramones are classic rock too man..

this is 2005
    100 years from now.. they would be classical music. u will find thier records in the same bargain bin as mozart and beethoven :p:

thats what time does to u :)

10. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

so some years from now, tupac, morbid angel, nirvana, blink 182 and westlife will all be considered classic rock ?????/

11. shak

shak Harrr!

black sabbath and lynyrd skynyrd....thats what i am listening to these days like MAD!!

12. apratim.mitra

apratim.mitra You can call me apro

well i guess ledzep and dire straits are all time favs for me ...

13. air

air New Member

pinkfloyd
    eric clapton
    B.B king
    Eagles

14. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

sure.. nirvana is already a great classic rock band

15. Gn'rlies

Gn'rlies New Member

anyone can kill himself and get his band immortality ( aka kurt) ...
    for me .. LED ZEP .. AEROSMITH GNR My fav classic rock bands ...
    n i simply dont entertain arguments bout them being in classic rock ... for me classic rock is a sound .. n these three bands define it best for me ...
    surely lynyard yardbirds dire straits and a lot more come in the category ...
    but my fav classic rock sounding ones are led zep and gnr ... aerosmith have a bit too much of a blues thing going on .. but theyre still classic rock for me ...

16. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

yeps Led Zep all the way......They sahped the Rock musik for the modern age....

17. Srirangan

Srirangan The Song Remains the Same

My Top Classic Rock Fav's:
    (1) Led Zeppelin
    (2) Queen
    (3) Dire Straits

Pink Floyd is progressive not Classic. Led Zep is a combish of blues, metal, and classic.
    Queen and Dire Straits pure classic.

18. Srirangan

Srirangan The Song Remains the Same

Nirvana is classic all right. But their music is grundge.

19. vini

vini Repeat Offender

do def leppard,scorpions,journey also come under this genre??

tahda!!

20. apratim.mitra

apratim.mitra You can call me apro

@srirangan ... well dude ... pink floyd is psychadelic not progressive... Dream Theater is progressive ...:rock: