which guitar to start with electric or acoustic???

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by vivek_4all, Oct 13, 2010.

1. vivek_4all

vivek_4all New Member

hi guys,

need your advice of which guitar to start first! am a bit confused hope I get good input from you guys. I havent played a guitar yet but i love the instrument, the thing is i love electric guitar very much. my question do we have to learn acoustic first and then only shift to electric? or can I directly start learning electric.

and guys I am a lefty and this is proving little hefty on me as its difficult to find one here in hyderabad? does any of you guys know where I can find one or is customizing the only option?

regards
    Vivek

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Just because you're left handed does not mean you will only be able to play lefty guitars. It's a matter of choice, you haven't even played the guitar ever before.

You can start out on an electric, there's no rule stating that you have to start with an acoustic. But starting out on an acoustic offers some advantages such as:
    1. It forces you learn (more) correct technique. With the electric guitar is easy to get sloppy because the amp can do a lot of work for you.
    2. It's always accessible even if you have no power.
    3. Slightly more portable than an electric guitar, for e.g. if you get kicked out of the house, you'll have one extra hand to carry that other suitcase since you won't need to carry the amplifier.

3. guitardoctor

guitardoctor Will Rx for food

Lots of lefties play right handed (I'm one). It's a personal preference... You can learn right handed or left handed as is comfortable to you, it doesn't really make that much of a difference. Both hands have demanding functions in guitar playing, it is not compulsory to use the dominant hand for strumming and the non-dominant for fretting.

https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?p=412594

4. vivek_4all

vivek_4all New Member

guys thanks very much for your feedback really appreciate that!! :)

5. shriworld4u

shriworld4u New Member

hey even m a lefty.. Had d same worries as u few mnths back bt nw i can comfortably play it right handed.. Our hands gets adjusted.. Dnt worry abt that stuff.. N yeah, il suggest u start wid d accoustic.. U will fall in love wid it more than electric :)