Which Electric Guitar??

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by parthbhushan, Sep 11, 2010.

1. parthbhushan

parthbhushan New Member

Lol!!!

Yeah. So a tube amp. That is, the head. And a cab(speakers), ie, 1x12. Correct?? Thats what a combo is right?

So any good "comparatively" cheap Tube amp.

And ultrabot are the be3a amps really good?? Havent heard of them at all

2. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

EDIT - COMBO -> HAS HEAD + SPEAKERS COMBINED IN ONE UNIT. Cheaper, unit wise.
    Like these
    https://www.be3amplifiers.com/Brat/Brat.JPG
    https://www.be3amplifiers.com/Solution33/Solution33Large.JPG

HEAD+CAB -> Head and cab are separate. They're more expensive than combos individually, cheaper long term (if you want to upgrade the cab while keeping the head, or keeping the cab while replacing the head, experimenting with different combinations, etc)
    Like zis
    https://www.be3amplifiers.com/Powerhouse100/Powerhouse100Large.JPG
    https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51614e8RQIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tube amps will be more expensive than equivalent wattage solid states (they're also louder though. Particularly for OD users.). Period. And as with anything, if it's cheap, it'll be crappy.

BE3 = said to be the best ones around.
    They're said to be better than anything else in quality or features, and have pretty good pricing.
    They're also said to be more reliable than anything else that's mass produced, (and in case things do break down, or you want to get it modded, the maker is right here in your country.)
    The reason why he's not really known much is because he's too busy making amps to advertise himself, I bet :p
    Also, another thing I never thought about before is that while getting good tube amps is really hard in India, thanks to tonally ignorant+marketing fodder masses and shopkeepers who can only patronize and not educate them, Ansar pretty much opened a lot of options for those who want good tube amps. (another reason why he's not very well known yet. Who knows about tube amps? Who knows about handbuilt tube amps? Only when one looks for that, and then there's some chance one might get to know of BE3 :p)
    Simply read his site, research tube amps elsewhere, you'll understand.

(the reason why I write 'said to be' everywhere is because
    a. I've never had the fortune of playing one (-gnash-), and
    b. I'm citing the general consensus of the pros (flood and the rest)
    I know I am going to...no, actually, I AM saving up for a BE3.)

Btw, @flood...the Guru Amplifiers site is gone.

3. flood

flood New Member

roy is in the USA at the moment. i don't think guru was ever doing roaring business as such, but roy is still building amps, to my knowledge. i'll probably meet him sometime next year, also meet erisa to talk about my strat.

i still have to play BE3 to really evaluate them. for the buck, however, you can't get a better deal in the country.

and the handbuilt tube amp business, particularly in india, is not a particularly profitable one, or i'd be in it, all stops pulled, already.

4. parthbhushan

parthbhushan New Member

^Ohk.. Thats pretty good. So there is no use of getting a Tube amp from foreign because if something happens to it, no one can repair it... Hmmm... Ok. Thanks alot.

So are these BE3 Amps durable?? Any good models that they have?

5. flood

flood New Member

oh, they can be repaired for sure. it's just the value for money factor... also, amps are quite heavy and bulky and who knows if you have enough baggage allowance etc...

i don't think anyone on these forums has played a BE3. the construction looks quite solid though.

visit the website and figure the rest out yourself....

6. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

why dont you talk to ansar? ask him bout some samples and warranty related things.. put a query on be3amplifiers.com

7. parthbhushan

parthbhushan New Member

Hmmmm.... Okay. I will talk to to him...

8. ultrabot90

@parth - Dude, it's the other way round. TUBE AMPS are somewhat more easily repaired in India than solid states/modelers/hybrids. flood is there, so is Mr Ansar, so is Mr Roy. So you *can* get a tube amp shipped here and have a good experience, but as flood says, BE3 is more value.

Also, be patient waiting for Mr Ansar's mail, takes long...idk, it might be better to call him.

(Be sure to bug flood for unique fuzz pedals after your purchase, in return for all the help he provides here xD)

@flood - Why does an MXR Blue Box sound so...cheesily synthey? Is that desirable?

9. flood

flood New Member

diss not the blue box! is it desirable? ****ing hell YEAH! the blue box pwns your ass. it tickles your exit hole with a chainsaw and then fries your face! i love extreme fuzzes, all of them. the synthier and nastier the better.

my blue box has two mods - one switch lifts the capacitor which tames the high end on the output, thus extending the treble and making the fuzz sound super-nasty giving me the NIN guitar sound. the other mod switches between one and two octaves down for super-chaos.

forgot to mention, the blue box has a mind of its own and how you play it will make all the difference to whether it will track your playing or just spazz out and arpeggiate randomly. the blue box basically has the fuzz first - always dialed in and running on full - and the octave AFTER the fuzz, which is what makes it so crazy.

met someone recently who was interesting in buying it. told him i'd build him another one but mine isn't for sale. check it out here: https://s812.photobucket.com/albums...ction=view&current=Blueboxcustom.jpg&newest=1

the graphic is the band logo of einstürzende neubauten. one of my favorite bands of all time i'd say. have a listen here and note the percussion "instruments": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ4Q9_bDwLY&feature=related

10. ultrabot90

Inventing your own instruments -> nice. (and practical. Why carry a drum kit around when you can etc etc. Plus it's unique, one does get tired of listening to the same sound palette again and again...and again...)

Idk...I dun like synthy sound unless I'm parodying old video games/80s music.

Nasty (if it implies 'grainy') = good metal/rock rhythm at least.
    Synthy = hearing/IQ damage ;)

Oh well, different strokes.

11. flood

flood New Member

different strokes, yeah. i love all guitar sounds or isntrument sounds for that matter. fuzz is by far my favorite effect, and i'm slowly building up a fuzz arsenal. have a fuzz factory, a blue box, a tonebender DIYed already, repairing my woolly mammoth. adding a modded RNG, a BMP and an octavia sometime soon.

12. parthbhushan

parthbhushan New Member

^ Hahahah!! Lol Guys. I will give Mr. Ansar a call as soon as my exams get over.

13. parthbhushan

parthbhushan New Member

Hello once again guys.

I'm back from Hong Kong. Bad luck. They were out of Epiphones and most of the Gibsons. So i couldn't get a guitar there. So i'm planning to buy one here itself.

I have AV7 on my mind. Anything else good enough? My budget, ~25k.

14. ultrabot90

Sorry to hear that. Sure, go for it, it isn't bad (some reviews stated it as being better than the original Gibsons, but I can't verify ;) )

15. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Dont you get GBs in HK?

16. flood

flood New Member

you = on very thin ice. IQ damage my ass!

17. ultrabot90

*hastily* Heh, I was just kidding ^^

Btw just noticed...
    flood "Composer".
    WHAT? :p

18. flood

flood New Member

really? i haven't heard that at all.

19. parthbhushan

parthbhushan New Member

ultrabolt, ok. will goto some stupid shop here and see.

rickky, yeah they do. And i had the opportunity to play on one of them too. :p. I was short of time so wasn't able to test out all the guitars there. :p.

flood, the build quality as in the materials used are better. Better than the cheaper Epiphone guitar.

20. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

wat stopped from buying you one from there? and short of time? are you confused?