Which Electric Guitar??

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by parthbhushan, Sep 11, 2010.

1. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

2. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

^Yeah, that too...if you don't mind LOOKING like a metalhead. xD

What I meant was...
    HONG KONG has the biggest guitar store in HONG KONG!??! o_O
    Surprise surprise.

3. parthbhushan

parthbhushan New Member

^Oh lol. Typo. Sorry. My bad. HK has the biggest store in East Asia. :p

4. ultrabot90

Lmfao, see? ;) Happens, happens.

What didja decide, though?
    Rikkky's may not exactly 'look' the part, but yeah, you can definitely use that for rock (tube amp, reminder, tube amp).
    It'd help that chap out too.

5. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

SA 220 FM is a decent guitar. Played one recently. Not for long though.

6. parthbhushan

parthbhushan New Member

I think i will get Epi LP Std. I don't have time so can't go to stores to check out some guitars... So yeah, if no Epi, then AV7, otherwise some Ibanez...

7. bcrich

bcrich New Member

Finally, choose from these..
    Epiphone LP Standard.
    Greg Bennett AV-7
    Ibanez S420

All three are really great guitars in your budget.

8. parthbhushan

parthbhushan New Member

^Ok. Thanks!

What about other stuff?? Pedal, processor??

9. ultrabot90

Processor? Mine mine mine! -> https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=44477

Or, if you'd rather have a 'small range of pure pwnage tones' than 'wide variety of tones and effects', go for the 1x12 speaker version. Nothing's better in this price range, not even the Laneys and the Vox. But it's mainly good for distortion, clean will not be loud enough for a drummer, unless you have a mic and PA for practice (there're are always one for live; unless if you are a bedroom practice guy, then it won't really matter.). -> https://www.be3amplifiers.com/BE3_Brat_plus.html
    (of course you can always get both :p)

10. parthbhushan

parthbhushan New Member

^ I'm really not sure what to get.

Can someone please take me through Pedals and Processors?? Like Why? What features? when to buy? which one to buy? Difference between both? etc etc

11. theghost

theghost New Member

I'm not even replying to this shitty post.

12. parthbhushan

parthbhushan New Member

^ Huh??? I'm new man. I don't know about all this. Just thought that someone could have helped me.

13. ultrabot90

Dude.

Processors -> those who want a lot of tones and effects in a small package.

Pedals/stompboxes -> People call them 'analog pedals' but they can also be digital, though analogs tend to be better. These are individual effects and distortion/overdrives (I'm not gonna explain the difference between dist and OD right now), and well, they're not very expensive on their own (but if you want a wide variety of stompboxes, it's more expensive than a processor), the sound processing is usually of better quality (if analog) than that of a processor.

Racks -> Let's just leave this for now :p

So if you
    -want a lot of effects and different tones quickly (versatility),
    -and you can't tell if it sounds bad (=untrained ears) or you're not really bothered with sound quality (=beginners)),
    -or want to fart around and experiment with a lot of different sounds,
    go for a processor.

If you
    -want to start off on the quest for your own sound/tone,
    get a decent tube amp, then start mucking around with different pickups, different stompboxes (you'll be mainly wanting individual pedals over processors because of more quality of sound), basically you start upgrading everything, generally in the order of amp>pickups>pedals till you get another guitar :p (though there really aren't any rules xD)

14. parthbhushan

parthbhushan New Member

^ Thanks alot. Ok. So can you tell me the difference between Distortion and OD??

And racks are nothing but amps right?? Like a head amp and then cabinets??

I'm surely going for a pedal then. :p

15. guitardoctor

guitardoctor Will Rx for food

Come on, use google for something at least... https://tinyurl.com/35cgcht

Try some youtube videos, see what they sound like. If you're interested in the science behind it read up https://tinyurl.com/2vjudcj , quite an informative article (I first learned about distortion from here).

16. ultrabot90

Dist vs OD -
    (I don't know this scientifically, like an oversimplification) OD is what happens when you turn up the volume on a tube amp - it starts breaking up/clipping (slight distortion, and compression), and then distorts and compresses more as you crank it up higher. Distortion is said to be a one of the components of OD.
    A distortion pedal colors the tone completely with its own sound. But despite that, it's best used in conjunction with an amp's distortion instead of on its own.
    An OD pedal 'pushes' the tubes in an amp a bit more so it goes into OD'd harder than you can go with its volume control alone. I've never had a tube amp (grrr -.-') or any pedals, so far, so people who have used them extensively will be able to help more.

Rack =/= stack
    Stack -
    First off, understand the components of a combo amp
    Preamp -> Power amp -> speaker
    In a head+cab setup, the preamp and the poweramp are in the head, the speaker is in the cabinet (cab). That's a half stack. Stack is a (monstrously unnecessary) setup of two cabinets (stereotypically 2 4x12s) and a head on top.

Rack is just a standard...you get a rack case of any given size, a power conditioner, and then there's a lot of rack mountable stuff available...
    basics - preamps, poweramps,
    more big boys' toys/creature comforts (lol) - audio interfaces, effects processors, tuners (Petersen strobe tuners @_@), computers for digital processing through VSTs (Muse Receptor!!! And other rackmount PCs.) etc,
    ...and tons of other stuff.
    What a rack DOESN'T mount is a speaker cab. So a rack runs out to a cab (I've seen small racks kept on the cab itself), or to the PA.
    They're pretty expensive methinks...but lots of convenient advantages for the pro. Not as much plugging around, not as much cables to manage, easier to adjust mid performance, all your processing in one (small?) package.

17. parthbhushan

parthbhushan New Member

^ lol. Nice post!!!

So half stack is what im looking for. And tube amp. Any good cheap tube amps??

18. ultrabot90

19. flood

flood New Member

half stacks are not cheap, and if they're cheap they're not good. also, they're bloody loud and only make sense on fairly large stages or if you're some sort of tone snob with a particular sound in mind, which doesn't seem like the case to me.

you want a combo, or perhaps a head and a 1x12 cabinet.

20. ultrabot90

Seconded, and oops, I always used the word 'half stack' (which from your post seems like it means 'head+4x12' exclusively) for 'head+cab' (which can be anything...head+1x12, head+2x12, head+4x12 etc).

Fixed :RollLol: