Which electric guitar should i buy?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by princu, Sep 15, 2010.

1. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

@flood -
    https://www.krankamps.com/products/rev-jr-pro-50-41
    Or how bout a 5150? Kekeke.

Seriously, though, that AD30VT seems like it has a lot of reliability troubles.
    https://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/VOX/AD30VT+Combo/100/1
    However...some people on there seem to have some problems with other parts of the chain.
    Eg - Some maintain some strings don't sound good with it, I wonder if adjusting the pole pieces would help.
    Some guys seem (I'm no expert on this, just guessing) like they could get away with what they call a cap change, and some seem to want a pot repair (again idk; and this borrowed MG15 I have is having the same problems, the all pots works at very specific points otherwise not at all, and besides the OD channel doesn't work.)

OP - If I were you and if flood says the low wattage ones aren't the best for metal (didn't know this, I don't play metal), I'd rather save up for a Solution 18 or something else instead of cutting corners (like with a modeler) =(

Personally, I got tired of looking for something that's 'cheap and good' (two mutually exclusive qualities; also, I must mention I play mostly cleans - if you want loud cleans you need more wattage) and thinking of cutting corners without compromises, so I chose to save up for a Powerhouse 50. Decent watts for cleans, an added VVR will give OD at any volume - so it should be fine for cleans and distortion, and ultimate reliability - who cares if I have to wait a year to order it? It'll be worth the wait @_@

2. flood

flood New Member

i would seriously suggest staying away from a VVR on a 50W amp, unless the person installing them has a LOT of experience both with the circuit and installing them. on a 50W multichannel amp, i'd suggest just using the master volume or different channels for different tones.

VVRs are based around semiconductors used as current sinks. there is a significant amount of heat dissipiation involved, even in smaller amps, and the MOSFETs are known to have failed under those conditions if the correct dissipation measures aren't taken.

in a 50W amp, this dissipation is HUGE. the other thing to consider is that these MOSFETs carry HV on the central tab, so you cannot allow them to conduct to the chassis. that would result in poof.

VVRs are best suited towards sub-20W amps IMO.

EDIT: 5150 FTW. badass amp.

3. princu

princu New Member

I would buy a VoxAD30 and a SA220FM.I think that would fit.now a good processor for around 11k.

4. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

What do you want a processor for, really. Buy mine if you must, though. 3k less than your budget, ha.
    https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=44477

On the amp...I'm seriously paranoid of reliability issues. Particularly in India, and that too a non-tube amp (solid state and modeling amps are harder to repair, I think. At least we have Ansar, flood, and Roy of Guru Amps for help if a tube amp breaks down (and tubes amps are generally more robust apart from the tubes themselves) o_O).

Needless to say I'd seriously try snicking in the Solution 18.

Here's what I say.
    Get a head-cab setup, and skimp on the speaker for now.
    Solution 18 head - 16.5k -OR- Solution 18 Live* head - 20k
    (Live = footswitching and independent EQ (I don't know of any other amp which gives that option in this range))
    Cabinet - 1x10 with Celestion Tube 10 (only decent at best, but costs only...) - 5.5k

Generally, a 1x12 speaker is a basic standard - 12" speaker is the best size a guitar can get, and Vintage 30s and Greenbacks (which are default options on BE3 12" cabinets) are both acclaimed speakers, and there are a lot more good upgrade speakers available in 12" than in other sizes. (in flood's words, a lifetime investment.) You can have a 1x12 cab with the aforementioned speakers for 10.5k, which is not a bad deal at all.

You can use the 1x10 cab for now, and when you feel like upgrading, you can simply use the Solution 18/Solution 18 Live head you have with said new cab. You have an amp and cab in a minimum of 22k (25.5k if you want the Live head), and since it's a head and cab, you can replace the cab (with a 1x12, 2x12, 4x12...), and you can also buy another head and use that with your cab (you don't have to pay for the speaker, you only pay for the head. With a combo, you're forced to buy both.)

Psst - Did I mention, half stacks have an incredible smex appeal.

5. princu

princu New Member

I am done with mine and how would be a ESP VIPER 50 for a budget of 15k.Just for my teacher and i am going to buy the SA220 FM,one week later.

6. princu

princu New Member

CORT EVL-X4.Please check this out.Great piece with original EMGs(active).Offered under a very good price.JUst check it out?Available at baja00.

7. princu

princu New Member

Plz reply guys.plz help.Now is my time to buy.I am visiting furtados gurgaon.plz help

8. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

X4 comes with passive pickups...

9. princu

princu New Member

But is X4 good for 22k?

10. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

I cant say much as i haven't played..But AV6 for 20k is definitely.. You shud take a tour of some of the music shops.. try out stuff and decide.. take someone along who knows stuff.. dont buy at first.. jus play and come back.. sitting here wont help..