which basic amp?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by jetru, Jul 13, 2007.

1. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

A VC would be overkill, a small loan will do, some space and a passion for hard work (and a decent life insurance policy), although there just isn't that much demand for tube amps around here, I can assure you I've investigated that scenario and there's not much in it, unless you want to export, in which case you'll need to get registered and get a license et al. In any case you'll have a very hard time trying to match Nik's (Ceriatone) quality of service and/or product.
    Nevertheless, Give it five years, I have a strong feeling Indian rock music will slowly but surely make a comeback soon enough and then things will get interesting, but until then the connoisseurs of tone will be happily buying their Laneys or making their own little creations.

Oddly enough, I recently played my amp against a Fender Twin and I liked mine better... so go figure,.. It's totally possible to build something quite special with indigenous parts, and quite cheaply, I just wish I had that kind of time to explore things further, but of course I'm only interested in small scale boutique creations, I'd personally never want to go commercial, but that's just me

2. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

man, that Life insurance part cracked me up, :biggrin:

On a serious note, if that is the case, then only time can make the tiger wake up.

BTW, I myself am looking for a 15W tube head, which can give the mesa (John Petrucci) kind of sound. My orange can't do that. Know any one that can do that? My budget is 10K max 12. I dun care for good tubes. I will put GTs later on.

3. umangu

umangu New Member

But there aren't any tubes in the MGs.

4. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Obviously I'm referring to amps beyond the MGs

GT's are chinese tubes..re-labelled. I've never tried them (since we only have NOS around here) but I hear they're reliable and sound very marshally (depending on the tube type)

For a John Pettrucci type sound you should look for an amp with bigger output tubes. His mesa runs EL34s. I run the same (single-ended) in my modded Hi-Octane/P1eX, which is just about the smallest amp I've found that runs these big tubes. EL84's tend to be middy and will not give you that thick bottom end that JP gets, but if you're feeling a little adventurous you could wire pair of 6V6's in parallel with the EL84's and that'll get you a lot closer to JP's sound, You won't need to change much else, just one or two caps

5. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

I just found out that new tubes have as much chance of blowing out as old tubes :shock:

6. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

@Talkien: Bro, I can't make one. I need somebody to build one for me!