which Amp should I go for ?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by kkndka, Dec 24, 2004.

1. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

im sorry i didnt get that.....

dyu mean wat do we use? well we mostly end up using transistor amps - i dont know neone on igt who uses a tube amp

2. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

^^^sorry abt dat.

yeah, u got wat i meant. do you know any artist who uses tube amps...i believe most of professionals too use transistors amps.

3. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

nono.... im sure most pros who can afford tube amps use tube amps - they arent very poluar among new artists who paly metal etc... they use transistor amps... but im sure artists who like that old sound would use tube amps - sorry i really dont ahve a list andi dont know specific names - i think rabi_sultan would know this... ask him....

4. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

black sabbath's sound where pretty amazing ...very much loud, clear and u know wat i mean? they must be using tubes.

5. jekyll

jekyll Banned

^ they used to use fuzz pedal ... but recently toni iommi switched to tube amps (marshalls) for less fuzzy and more high gain tone ...

6. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Tony Iommi always used a Laney Tube Amp. Anyway back in those days they didn't have Solid State Amps. He also used to use this Rangemaster Treble Booster as a Clean Boost to increase the crunch and Sustain by driving the tube amp with it. Now he even has a Signature Series Amp from Laney.

7. jekyll

jekyll Banned

well that treble boosted tube amp sounded awfully fuzzy to me ...

so i guessed it (wrongly maybe) ... and yeah the same thing (awfully fuzzy) holds for Blackmore too ... :p:

8. Genesis

Genesis New Member

None of the amps u listed are tube amps. And by the way if u're a really good player and worried about ur tone, ALL the amps u listed SUCK. All are solid state.
    Some points to consider:

1) Tube amps are expensive starting at maybe 20K, so go for one if u're really serious abt guitars. Also u need good pickups to go with it, say Seymour Duncans, Dimarzios etc. Don't even think of local pups.

2) The amps u listed will do if u're just starting guitar and have a limited budget.

3) The really serious tubes from Marshall start with the Marshall DSL 201, which goes for about 25K.

4) Stranger doesn't make tube amps and u really can't call their amps AMPS... More like PA systems... In short, they simply suck.

9. jekyll

jekyll Banned

n how on earth do u expect a normal person to cough up 20-25 K ... ???

better to get a home-made tube amp ... whihc will cost about 10K ...

10. Genesis

Genesis New Member

That's what i said. Tube amps are expensive. What do u mean by a home made tube amp anyway?

11. ronnieanand

:mad: :mad: :mad: :aggre: :aggre: :aggre: :aggre:

12. jekyll

jekyll Banned

^ ask Ron ...
    there are some fellows in Bangalore who assemble tube amps and cabinets

using the circuits of popular amps like JCM800, Dual Recifier etc - but then then there is no guarantee of getting the right sound ... coz the components used are Indian ...

13. Genesis

Genesis New Member

Risky, if u ask me. I'd say save up some money and then go for a good amp from the OEM.

14. jekyll

jekyll Banned

hmm ... not exactly risky ... u may get a personalized tone ... which is better than just getting the same old tone ... :grin:

yeah but true it is risky if u want the same Marshall Boogie Soldano kinda tone ...

15. ronnieanand

It isn't risky if you hav experience working with tube amps. Moreover it gives you a lot of opportunities to mod them. You can get real killer tones. I have heard some home made tube amps which has some serious professional tone.

16. Genesis

Genesis New Member

Where in Bangalore? What tubes do they use, JJ/Sovtek/etc?

17. ronnieanand

You can get Swetlana, RCA tubes here.

18. Genesis

Genesis New Member

Does the shop have a name? Where is it in Bangalore?

19. ronnieanand

Check out Ajanta Electronics. It's in SP Road but I have no clue of where it is.

20. Genesis

Genesis New Member

Thanks. I was going for a Traynor or a Marshall, but if they're good, it'll save me some money and time importing it...