which Amp should I go for ?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by kkndka, Dec 24, 2004.

1. kkndka

kkndka Banned

Ok Guys i need your help once again.....
    I play metal and hard Rock...
    Ive decided to buy an amp and Processor now and get my guitar from the US through some relatives who are comin after my Board exams.
    Right now i want to buy a amp and Processor for my future guitar setup...
    the secondhand amp deals I found were--
    1.Stranger Cube 80 for 5000 Rs
    2.Stranger Cube 40 for 3500 Rs
    3. Marshall Mg15 CD for 2500 Rs
    4.Marshall MG30DFX for 4500 Rs
    which amp should i go for and are the Stranger amps mentioned here tube amps??

For the secondhand processor deals
    1.Digitech RP-80 for 4000 Rs
    2.Digitech RP-100 for 3000 Rs
    Thats it....
    Now i need advice on what combo of Amp and Processor will sound reasonably good for practise and in a Hostel Room (when im doin my engineering after 12th)

Cheers

:rock:

Any help will be appreciated
    From Karan, Pune

2. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

2.Digitech RP-100 for 3000 Rs Is good...

4.Marshall MG30DFX for 4500 Rs Is also good.. Gor for these..

Stranger dont make Tube amps..

3. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

@all....one question....wat are tube amps? wat makes them different frm normal amps?

4. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Marshall MG30DFX, mera choice:)

5. jayanth

A tube amp has a different kind of sound.. More like the Stdio Sound..

6. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Tube Amps use the ancient vacuum tubes instead of the solid state transistors in the Power Amp circiuitry. This gives a more raw tone, with a lot of low and mids. The highs in the tube amps are less, so most people use a treble boost or an overdrive as a boost to boost up the highs too. The era of tubes in electronic circuitry is practically over. It's just custom made for few appilcations like tube amps and also for very high power circuitry like radio transmission etc.. Since the production is kinda customized, the cost is pretty high.

Solid State Amps use the semiconductor ICs as power amplifiers. These are pretty good in getting high gain with low noise but the disadvantage is the lows and mids are quite low. Many off the shelf power amp ICs do a good job, so pretty cheap in getting it. Good enough for us who may not be able to afford tube amps. Some signal processing is added in some high end Solid State amps to get sound closer to Tube Amps.

I am not sure whether the commonly available Solid State amps use IC or MOSFET (Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor). Among these two MOSFET based amps will offer more power and lows as compared to the IC based ones.

7. jayanth

But I played on a Peavey and a marshal tube amp.. And also played other SS ampos.. Tube is damn good.

8. fictional_real

@all...thanx for the info.
    also i was checking out ibanez guitars.....i was able to to see the guitars details like SHS or watever combination....but when i tried to check jackson guitars...it didnot give any combination....it just said humbuckers in bridge something like dat.

9. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

to fictional - have a look at the pictures of trhe guitars - jackson does have those on the web site - that will tell you all... and im pretty sure that on their web page they do have pickup info - maybe im wrong - either ways check out the pics... im sure ull be able to tell - if u cant post a message - i will check it out for you nd im sure several others will be ready to as well.

10. jayanth

@ Fr :- Look at the guitar you'll know what config it is.. LOL..

BTW nice title..

11. fictional_real

@thanx...title was autogenerated...but more like me.

ok...here is the test for jayanth. i'll post a guitar pic....tell me its config. :think: :p:

Attached Files:

12. jayanth

H - H... LOL.. Testing me??

13. deathdr_87

nice "test" fr.... are those the emg active pickups?

14. fictional_real

no...i dont remember actually. something humbuckers....damn...by the way. its jackson Rhoads pro series model...RR5 i think.

15. RAVISHINGBOY

RAVISHINGBOY J@CksoN BoY !

Lol f_r .. UR testing Jackson boy .. :p
    by the way wich type of amps give us clear Tone .. No distortion and gud sustain .. ? tube or Solid tran.. and which company Of amps Are really gud to play metal .... and les paul stuff ..

16. deathdr_87

marshall and fender ahve nice amps which have really clean tones - oh yeah - even the roland cubes are good

but theyre a little pricey and so i use a stranger amp - god i hate that thing - but well its cheap...

17. fictional_real

@ravishing...marshall amps are arguably the best 4 playing metal....and hey...do u own a jackson guitars? which 1?

18. deathdr_87

iforgot to say this earlier - transistor amps give a better clean tone for sure..... but somehow most ppl prefer tube amp for crunch sounds....

19. fictional_real

@death....however, most amps will r hot favs ...have which kinda amps....transistor or tube one....or is it something else?

20. shak

shak Harrr!

tube's gives a warmth to the tone and that vintage feel...but you have to change the tubes time to time cuz tubes get consumed and they run out like batteries!!..and they ARE expensive!