Where do I go from here?????

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by sushantkarki, Apr 21, 2009.

1. sushantkarki

sushantkarki New Member

Hey guys.
    Desperately need some help with my guitar playing.

I have learnt the very basics of the guitar. I know where each not is on the fretboard. I have learnt some chord theory. I understand the concepts of movable and barre chords. I can play most of the major, minor and seventh chords. I am learning the guitar by myself and I am quite confused. I don't know what to do next. Should I continue practicing the chords and move on to the more advanced chords. Or should I perfect the scales? Should I start playing songs or should I just keep going through chord progressions. Any suggestions will be very helpful. Thanks

2. mani_manu

mani_manu New Member

buddy u shud go for the scales..this will help u a lot...it helps in playing leads as well in composing songs..

3. sushantkarki

sushantkarki New Member

thanks man

thanks mate. I still have a question. Shouldn't I first become very good in rhythm guitar rather than becoming a jack of all trades i.e. know a bit of rhythm and a bit of lead?

4. r@zor2

r@zor2 New Member

scales and chords are kinda inter related sooo learn scales

5. cool.abhi79

cool.abhi79 New Member

Well i think that when you get to a point where you have to ask yourself what should i go for now since i know the basics there are a few things which you should try to include in your daily schedule for sure.

1) ear training -> there are a few free softwares also available for this over net. try to give 30 min a day to listen to your guitar rather than playing it :D

2) Read a bit of theory everyday to kind of put things that you have learnt till now in perspective. It will make sure that you wont ever forget them and hence will help you learn faster in future since you can relate things.

I am just a newbie so my advices are more gut feelings than tested ideas :)

Rgds

6. sushantkarki

sushantkarki New Member

Umm..............I have been searching the web for some good ear training programmes like instructional dvds and all but haven't got any success. I have heard David Lucas Burge's Relative and Perfect Pitch Courses are quite good.

And in the course of searching many forums for advices, some people have suggested to attain fretboard mastery. I am not sure what that means . I think its possibly about remembering all the notes on the fretboard. Can anyone shed more light on this topic and the ear training thing please !!! Thanks

7. cool.abhi79

cool.abhi79 New Member

ya that fretboard mastery does mean knowing the fretboard. There are a few lick library videos related to fretboard mastery try to get them of the net and it will help you as they kinda help you go with a plan.

Also there is a book called "a guide to chords scales and arpeggios" which i sort of liked. Its a lot of work honestly but if you seriously do that i am sure it will help get a lot better.

Rgds

8. zing

zing Machine Head

dont think of chords as different from scales

if u play notes 1,3,5 separately its a major scale
    if u play notes 1,3,5 together its a major chord

so combine both when u play

then start adding different notes like b3, 7, 4 etc. and see what "mood" they create

it helps if u think that u are trying to "talk" or express your feelings through the notes

9. sushantkarki

sushantkarki New Member

Thanks guys

Thanks guys for all your tips. I'm sure they will be of great help to me.

10. SATRIMANIAC

SATRIMANIAC New Member

kynda same story here as well been playin d guitar for abt 8 months now nd I am stuck in a rut!

11. wylder

wylder Member

Another thing you can try for ear development is to pick a scale and sing a small 4 beat fragment in the scale. Now try playing the exact same thing you sang. You can initially start with all adjacent notes and add larger intervals as you progress.

This kinda exercise will help you by develop your ability to play any tune thats in your head and will be of great use when u r jamming with someone.

12. wylder

wylder Member

And try to get somebody to jam with. There is almost no better way to develop your playing than jamming with someone.