Where do I go from here....

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by slashboyin, Jun 7, 2006.

1. slashboyin

slashboyin New Member

hi all,

the problem is that i am stuck now and i cant seem to take my guitaring ahead from here

i can play : a few scales (C,Am, G, Em, D), a few chords (A-G,Am-Gm, barre chords,) a little bit of arpeggios, a few strumming patterns

a few licks,

So what should i do now? what should i practise?

2. faiqrock

faiqrock XaiQ

Now Try to Learn Theory of Guitar...
    scales like Major Minor pentatonic

3. vini

vini Repeat Offender

few scales should include so many chords and u say just "A-G,Am-Gm"..lol

as faiq said...firstly u learn all major and minor scales!!practice very well, and learn all the chords entailed!this would take sumtime, and till the end of it, u'd start feeling more confident, then proceed to other scales.

4. stalker

stalker Banned

Your thread title reminds me of Radiohead. "Where do we go from here, the words are coming out wierd. Where are you now that I need you?"

Ignore me.

5. har1s

har1s <b>Untitled</b>

learn the note theory in guitar.. and the theory behind those scales... by doing that u should be able to figure out a huge number of chords..

6. slashboyin

slashboyin New Member

@har1s: u mean that a chord is made up of 3 notes?

@vini: by A-G I meant A,B,C,D,E,F,G

I have only acoustic guitar. So do u recommend the Rock Discipline video?

And thanks to all for their advice

7. slashboyin

slashboyin New Member

8. Intrinsic

Intrinsic New Member

I consider myself a beginner but I'm not as focused on learning new songs. My lists of practice exercises include:

1. Work on fingering speed/accuracy
    2. Learn new chords
    3. Switch between all chords that I know. i.e I will use Am as my base chord and play Am, C, Am, Cm, Am, D, Am, D7, Am, Dm, Am, E... (you get the idea). All chord changes should be fluid.
    4. Find a song and play along with a metronome. This makes sure that I play notes at the correct times
    5. Learn the fretboard (bought a few good books on this)
    6. Theory of Scales (lower priority at this point)
    7. Fingerpick! I've seen how amazing a song sounds when you have 4-5 picks vs just one!

All I have right now is an acoustic guitar. The type of guitar should not matter as long as you understand the theories. First learn the theory, the guitar playing will come in time.

9. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

check out petrucci's rock discipline and zakk wylde's pentatonic harcore lessons.

learning the theory would mean that you would be able to apply your knowledge and work out scales and chords at will. also practice scales in different positions on the fretboard.

chromatic scales and stretching exercises are a must in every practice regime.

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Why do you wanna "progress" further?
    You can play the stuff you learnt till now and form a band like JAL and become rich n famous. :grin:

However, if you wanna "progress" to mundane things like learning scales, mastering notes on the fretboard, chosing correct intervals while playing chords (and yet not playing them ;) ) ....... yada yada

It is a long way.

Then the best way would be to continue with the music theory. Get a teacher. That would hasten your learning.

11. ThePacifist

ThePacifist New Member

C, Am, G are not scales but chords. Scales are major, minor, major pentatonic, minor pentatonic....and each scale can be played for every root note (A,A#,B,C,C#....). so for a song in C, you could play a riff in C-Major pentatonic (Slash etc play a lot of that)
    Each scale has various modes (Aeolian, Dorian etc..). Each one has different feel to it.

There's a lot to learn....

12. slashboyin

slashboyin New Member

Thanks to all for you advice

@thepacifist: then what is the c (natural ) scale that i play? and my ex-sir had told me that Am is the relative scale of C.

currently i am going to a sir, but he teached very slowly. he is more interested in the moolah than in teaching the students.

13. ThePacifist

ThePacifist New Member

It would be better termed as "A minor is the relative minor of G". Read more on
    https://www.guitarnoise.com/faq.php?id=47

and C natural would probably be the C major scale. Specifically, it is the C natural major scale to differentiate from C harmonic major(etc.) scales